Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #1  

Smile Steel Magnolias #55

Good morning, ladies! 76 degrees right now. We had a lot of thunderstorms last night and it poured. Casper and I will be going for a walk before lunch.

Faye, you'll look nice on that cruise for sure. I hate to shop but all my clothes are at least one-size too big right now so I might go this weekend and see what I can find for fall. This is back-to-school tax free weekend so that saves 5.5% besides what I can find on sale. Tobacco is more addicting than heroin. Stan could never stop and he tried all the patches. My Dad couldn't either. It's kind of like losing weight. Everyone wants to, but 95% of the folks who do gain it all back because the draw of food is too big and they keep on eating the same foods they did while overweight in the first place. Eating everything in moderation just doesn't work over the long haul.

Jean, I hope that water pipe will keep your basement from getting so flood when you have the big rains. That can't be fun. I really miss my basement but the water table is so high, we just can't have them here. It sure cuts down on storage space, which now that I think about it is probably a good thing!

Maggie, I'm glad you finally have your computer just the way you want it. With all your recipes, do you use Master Cook? I just got an upgrade notice this morning. It will now let you import recipes and pictures from any website and figure the nutritionals for you. It's only 15 dollars for the upgrade so I'll probably get it. I've used it for years.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Frustratin Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is currently in the 90ºs and I all is well in the ♥-Land. I am typing this on my old computer because I kept getting kicked off the internet while using my new one. It has some glitch in it and is now back at the shop. They are going to scrape it down to the bare bones and see if they can rid it of what is bothering it. It was working fine but something was causing it to get a disconnect signal. I had my post all typed out and transferred to the 3FC site and I got a disconnect and poof my post was gone. Irritating to say the least and I don’t have the inkling to re-type everything ove agan right now so I am not going to do any personals.

Have a great day MAGNOLIAS and I will type at y’all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #3  

Good Morning! It's a sunny cool 66 degrees this morning. I've cleaned out the cat boxes , have a load of clothes washing, and need to get the vacuum going. I also wrote out checks to pay the house taxes, IRS, and state taxes in September. It would be nice to have no tax bills! I just wish we could have more say in how the government spends our money, especially the federal government.

Susan -- The new plumbing project is to keep the water off the patio and out of the main level bedroom and bath. Bob rerouted a rain spout to the north side of the house to get it away from the patio. They buried a plastic pipe under the patio to go to the street but when it rains so hard and fast, that pipe couldn't handle it all. That's when he dug a hole for a sump pump in the yard. Now he hoping it is fixed but we won't know for sure until the next hard rain. The basement only gets a trickle (usually, unless the electricity goes off and the pumps quit) that runs to the drain.

Maggie -- I'm sorry you are still having computer problems. I plan to take mine to the shop on Monday and have it cleaned out. It is running slow and the wireless will disconnect when the virus scan is finished running. Frustrating!

Bob is at the farm working on his tractor. Thanks to Jason, rumor has it he bought another one *sigh* and said he plans to sell it for parts. We'll see. He has to make a road trip to the ND-SD border to pick it up.

I need to get moving or the morning will be gone. Enjoy your day and do something nice for yourself!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Beautiful Overcast Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is in the 70ºs here this day and not expected to top 85ºs this afternoon. Will is doing a funeral service for a lady that passed away that he knew from the museum when she was a volunteer. I didn’t know her so I didn’t go. She and her husband are Catholic but chose Will to do the service for her. I don’t suppose it really matters who does the service for the soul has already passed on and the service is for the living.

I don’t suppose I’ll be getting my computer back until around Monday so I am so thankful I still have this one to use. This go round I may have to reload all my programs once again. I sure hope they get my computer sanitized this go round. With all this trouble with it sure makes me not want to use it anymore for I am paranoid that something will happen again. At least I still have this old faithful to use in the meantime.

I certainly don’t have much ambition to do much of anything this day. There are a few things that I must do that will get done though if I feel like it or not. I am not cooking this day for we are going out for Chinese this evening. I’ll have some broth for lunch in a little while.

We are in for some thunder storms today and tomorrow and I hope it brings some rain along with it. The wading pond in the buffalo pen is getting quite full to overflowing. Before when they stood in it they were knee deep in water now it comes up to their bellies. It is kinda deep in the middle for the little ones. I get such a kick out of the moms when they are weaning their young for they keep moving so the babes can’t get a grip. When they all get weaned they will have to separate them from the bull once again for his nature will have him challenging the male for dominance. They will probably sell off the youngsters and the little male one will bring a good price, more than the two females will.

SUSAN No, I don't use Master Cook but will certainly look into it. I do a search for a certain recipe that I can't find in any of my books on occasion and that sounds like a good source.

JEAN I try to have a good virus protection system, but alas, some things sneek through and hide in programs and when they are opened there are problems. I trust my teckie to deal with them. Hopefully your guy can locate what it is that is shutting yours off like that.

Have a great day MAGNOLIAS and I will type at y’all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-03-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies. Another day with storms. At least the temperature is staying down in the low 80s. My AC hardly runs at all.

I've been to church and passed on eating breakfast at Ducan Donuts. I came home and had a nice Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate shake (25 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs) and that will keep me full until around 1 pm.

I need to do some laundry and vacuum the downstairs today. I cleaned out the fridge and restocked it yesterday. I'm loving all the fruits and vegetables that are in season now. j

Maggie, Master Cook costs $20 for the new version 14. I've had it since the 2nd version. I love it. You can add your own recipes, scan them in, load them from websites and it figures the nutrition for you (based on USDA). You can put in meals. I plan my whole week in it, print it out with the recipes I'll need and it also creates the shopping list which you can modify to remove things you have on hand or add what else you might need.

Jean, I have 3 friends whose husbands restore old cars. Bob is the only one I know who collects tractors! My friends don't mind for when when they want a new sewing machine for more fabric, etc. they have the what the husband spends on his cars to justify their purchases. LOL

Hi Faye! I hope the commissary wasn't too bad!

Have a blessed day!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! We started the day with cool sunshine but the clouds have taken over and the sprinkles have begun. We could use a whole day or two of gentle nonstop rain. We went to church which was longer than usual this morning. During the summer months we have different church members who provide special music, most of which is very enjoyable; a piano solo, a singer, etc. But the "dog and pony" show was also performing and sung through each one of their twangy songs three times. We had communion and the pastor took his usual time for his sermon. I can't remember if I shared this or not, but he had a skin cancer removed from his ankle, and now is facing a skin graft over the 4" x 5" hole. Then he will be in a cast to keep everything in place. Last Sunday and today he sat down through the entire service -- said he had run out of happy pills and his ankle really hurt.

Maggie -- Do you have a favorite thing to eat at the Chinese restaurant? My favorite is cashew chicken, crab rangoon, and egg rolls. We don't eat there very often but you mentioning it makes it sound inviting.

Susan -- I don't know about the protein part but the frosty chocolate shake sounds delicious! We are enjoying the fresh fruits and vegetables too. I just wish they didn't all come at once and then nothing over the winter months. The fresh year around produce is what we missed most about living in Ohio.

I need to change clothes and do something constructive this afternoon. Sitting down with my book sounds more inviting. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #7  

Good evening gals. Yesterday was crazy with commissary shopping and today I have been working on my sweater all day and just stopped long enough to do morning chores and eat.

My dresses fit, I had to keep the top they altered for me but the material is not summer but heavy stuff and the top comes down to my knees, but like I said, I couldn't return it. Three shirts and my cute seersucker pants went back. The shirts were too big and the pants about a foot too long as they sent talls in my size and now don't have average in my size they sold out. So I opted to get proper size in my tshirts and saved $30 on those with the size difference and the money back for the pants so I ordered another dress with the difference. I bought all sale stuff and you can't get refunds only exchanges on sale stuff, but I called the store and she gladly said I could buy a dress with the extra money so that's what I did and just got the tshirts exchanged. I told her I was sending it priority (it will be there tomorrow) and would they have enough time to get it all back to me by the end of Sept. She said she would ship it out this next week. On their return page it says 3-4 weeks but she told me to put it to her attention and she would get it right out to me.

Susan: We are sweltering here. The humidity is like 75% and very warm on top of that so it is so hot and sticky. My sister has to ask herself, do I want to struggle and quit or die because that is sure where she is at. Her oxygen level was 65% when they admitted her I think. She has been on 100% pure oxygen since they took her to the hospital. Believe me, I know it won't be easy, but she refuses to do anything to help her quit like patches, gum, that sort of thing. She is a very stubborn woman and frankly acts like a child sometimes.

Jean: I am buying Jack an Ipad for Christmas this year, big surprise. Since I pay all the bills and all he wants is money for his daily paper he will never figure it out. I am going to have it shipped to my dd's house and ask her to wrap it for me. Hope Bob has fun with his new toy. How long will it take for him to go and get it and come back?? Hope the drainage helps the patio. I know you have had trouble with it numerous times.

Maggie: Hope your day is going well.

I guess I should get out of here and get things settled for the night. Four AM comes mighty early. Have a great start to your week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies. So far it is not too bad, but it is supposed to be in the 90's today again.

I have to get on the treadmill in about an hour then get chores done and such. I finished the back of my sweater and am getting ready to cast on the front. Hopefully, I will get in done by the end of this month or beginning of next month. Takes a long time to knit a sweater for someone my size, but at least it is sleeveless!

I see by the USPS tracking my box to the dress shop will be delivered today so I am hoping they can ship it back out to me this week sometime. We shall see. The woman I talked to said she could.

You all have a great day today. Faye
Old 08-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #9  

Good afternoon, ladies! 79 degrees and sunshine and low humidity! A perfect day.

I went to the gym this morning for Tai Chi, Water Aerobics, Water Zumba, and Yoga. It was a lot of fun. I have a behavior modification for the research study I'm doing at 5:30 and that's it for today.

Faye, your sister is lucky to be alive with oxygen levels that low. I have and oximeter and measure mine every morning and it runs about 97% with medication. You have a lot of dresses...I have 4. Mostly I wear pants. I hope you get you things from the dress shop this week.

Jean, I'm a steamed shrimp and veggies girl at a Chinese restaurant unless they have a habachi and I can chose my meet and vegetables. I don't do breaded and fried stuff. It just doesn't taste good to me after being away from it for so long.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! I am on my laptop and the cursor keeps jumping around. We had a little shower this morning but now the sun is out and it is getting hot and more humid. My computer, at church, wouldn't work this morning so I will have to go back when it is fixed. The secretary's worked fine so maybe she will do my posting. I have a "bring your date" social tonight and made a veggie pasta salad for that. I need to count the gift shop money when I finish here.

"Gma" -- I'm glad your dresses fit and hope the exchanged clothes will arrive in time. How is your sister? I'm sure Jack will enjoy an iPad. I know that I don't use it for all that it can do, but I like it. Bob said it would be about a 4 1/2 hour drive, one way, to pick up the tractor. Since there is no shopping mall close by, his farmer friend will go with him. Congrats on the treadmill effort!

Susan -- Will your behavior be modified or does the research team just check to see how you are doing? There is a Mongolian (?) restaurant in Sioux City where you walk down the line and choose your food, then watch them cook it. I never know what some of the things are unless we go with others who have eaten there several times.

I need to get the money counted. Enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's been partly sunny and cloudy all morning; the humidity is up so it feels kind of sticky. The air will probably come on this afternoon since I left it set from yesterday. I ran a couple errands this morning and need to take Maddy's picture to the paper this afternoon. They have a "Happy Birthday to . . ." column and the kids get a kick out of see their picture in the newspaper. I have a roast in the crockpot forgetting Bob has a 5:00 meeting which could either be 15 minutes or drag on for a couple hours.

It's too quiet here today!

I need to get the picture ready for the paper and head out. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #12  

Good evening, ladies! Rain all day and it only got up to 70. What weather!

I had to work today so nothing happening.

Jean, my behavior modification classes with the research study are classes where we all get together with the nutritionist, doctor or psychologist and talk about how to handle things like stress, moods, health foods, why we should avoid or include certain foods, etc. We have them every Monday from 5:30-6:30 pm. Every 2 weeks we have individual meetings with our consolor to discuss how we are doing with our individual plan, things that might be bothering us, things we need help with, etc. It's a wonderful program. Once a quarter I go to Baltimore to Johns Hopkin for more extensive testing than they do at the research center here. I'm so glad I got the low carb plan because it is very easy for me to do, I'm never hungry and I have no cravings. My breathing has improved because I have less inflammation. I'll definitely continue this way of eating on my own when the study is over next spring. Since I no longer can recommend WW with a clear conscious, I turned in my resignation last Saturday and they asked me to continue until Sept 1 and then I'll be done.

That's really neat for the kids to get their picture in the paper for their birthdays.

Hi Maggie and Faye! Hope everything is okay with you.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. Boy we are in for more really hot weather if the weather channel is right. They are talking mid 90's for at least the rest of this week. Hopefully Jack won't have to work anywhere outside for very long or down in the blower building which has little to no air circulation, no windows, etc.

I have been working so hard on my sweater I forgot to even come in here yesterday. I did balance my checkbook but then didn't even fool with the computer.

Clothing wise I am not working out too well. I got my JMS package yesterday which was supposed to be two swimsuits and a pair of dress pants. I got 3 pair of pull on blue jeans and not even in my size! The packing slip had the correct items but some boob in the warehouse wasn't paying attention. I called right away and she said she would send out another order 2 day so we shall see and she said she would send out a prepaid label. She got really snotty when I repeated everything back to her though and I don't know why that was. So, I still don't have the rest of my cruise clothing. Jack should get his undies and such tomorrow. We decided we got a better deal ordering them online at Target using our Target credit card. We get 5% off and free shipping besides they have a better selection of what Jack likes to wear, which is Hanes products. I told him he always was a sucker for Hanes, (my maiden name was Haynes.)

I succumbed to the sandal devil and bought another pair. These have red in them and I have been looking for something to wear with red shorts. I am done with sandal shopping for sure now. Our spare room looks like a hurricane blew through with cruise clothes and shoes and suitcases. I am just really ready for a vacation.

Susan: Last I heard about my sister is they moved her to a regular room yesterday from ICU but she will stay in the hospital until Monday. Her dd says her breathing is still difficult. The thing is, even if she really quits smoking this time, her son smokes so that house is filled with bad air as is her car so breathing in good air is going to be difficult. She is already on oxygen at home. Hope your study continues well.

Jean: There is a chain restaurant becoming very popular called Genghis Grill. I love it because you can get lots of veggies and white meat chicken and shrimp and such and don't have to eat the fattier stuff. Hope your church computer is up and working again. I really want to surprise Jack with the Ipad. I was asking him questions about it a week or so ago like what he would want and all that. He asked me why all the questions all of a sudden and I lied and told him I had seen a commercial for another brand and wondered why he wanted an Ipad. Seemed to satisfy him as he hasn't said anything else. Since I pay all the bills and stuff he will never know as he never looks at the checkbook or my budget spreadsheet though I have the Ipad savings hidden in the budget.

Well time to get hopping and get chores and such done. I have a load of laundry in the dryer but that's as far as I have gotten except for straightening up. Breakfast and unloading and reloading dishwasher is next on the agenda. Have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

It is in the high 70 degrees with a 59% chance of rain and 69% humidity. One of those sticky type days where you feel like you need a shower all day long.

Got my computer back and it is working properly so far and they fixed it up real nice to work friendly for me. They gutted it and checked every nook and cranny and re-installed my programs for me. There was one of the computer programs that was causing the problem this time for it hadn’t re-loaded properly and was missing something. Anyway they found the glitch and fixed it. I had to laugh for in my old machine I have tons of pictures and gifs in my program and now all I have so far saved on this one is a bag of veggies in a grocery bag.

I am back with my WW program and did lose a couple pounds that I had re-gained and am back down to 91.6 gone. I bought a new tracker book and started using it yesterday. I need to write what I bite for the program to work for me. It doesn’t help me to miss meetings either. I was surprised to have shown 2 pounds down last weigh in.

DONNA FAYE That is too bad what happened with your order but they don't hire folks to do that kind of a job with a very high IQ now do they. Watch out so you don't have to pay extra baggage money for all those shoes on your trip. Ah, but sandals don't usually weigh that much do they.

SUSAN Behavior Mod is a wonderful program and works with a lot of areas in folks lives. I used to teach it to criminals. It's all about making proper choices. I imagine WW will hate to see you leave but you have to use what program works best for you.

JEAN My favorite things to eat at the Chinese restaurant are grilled chicken on a stick, sweet and sour pork on rice with steamed broccoli. What a nice thing the paper does by putting BD kids pictures in the paper. Those clipping will be good scrap book additions.

Nothing much happening around here this seventh day of August. Have a great day Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-07-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! It's a nice sunny cool day in my neighborhood. We keep thunderstorms in the forecast but nothing seems to happen. I had my nails done this morning and treated myself to a pedicure afterwards. I never can get my toe nails painted so they look nice. This afternoon I've been decluttering. The neighbors are putting in a new driveway so it's been noisy around here. Can't remember if I shared this yesterday or not, but I found Momma Kitty a home with the marijuana growing ex-teacher. Now the trick is to catch her; the toms have been stalking her the last few days. I called the vet to see if they would spay her if she were pregnant and the gal said they have spayed cats ready to deliver. That made me feel bad. I'm hoping we can catch her tonight.

Susan -- Are you still working a regular schedule or just filling in when needed? I'm sure the WW members will miss your positive attitude and input at the meetings.

"Gma" -- I'm so sorry about the clothes snafu, but guess that is par for the course when you have a deadline. You will have to share a picture of your new sandals! At least you can wear them longer throughout the year than I can up here. If I were living in the house with your nephew he would be smoking outside regardless of the weather! I don't understand why people even start smoking; I understand how addictive it is BUT why even start! My dad started when he was in service and they were free; he quit cold turkey in later years and ended up with lung cancer directly related. He hadn't smoked for 40 years when he got sick.

Maggie -- Congrats on losing another couple pounds. I know I do better when I write everything down, but I get lazy and quit. I'm glad you have your computer back and hope it is fixed forever 'n ever.

I have a load of towels to fold and hope they are finished drying so I can get the next load going. I swear laundry multiplies overnight! Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!