General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #1  
CarsonsMama

S/C/G: 192.4/*see ticker*/150

Height: 5'7''

Question Swollen Lymph Nodes when not sick?

Has anyone dealt with having this themselves or their child? I am asking because my son who is 3 years old has had small lumps on the sides of his neck, seems to be his lymph nodes. And they seem larger than they should be, I've noticed this for several months now. The Dr. told me to bring him back if they didn't go away in a couple of months so I"m bringing him in on Monday afternoon. The lady that does daycare for us said her son had this as well and apparently it was nothing to be concerned about. Apparently just how his body was...but I always worry about it being "something"...... Any experiences would be great to hear!
mhuppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275.4/258.6/200

Height: 5'1"

Are they sore? Do you have pets?
NJChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

I disagree with the doctor. I'm a nurse and granted it could be nothing but it would not hurt to ultrasound them. I would see a ear nose and throat pediatrician and get their advice on it. It could be nothing or it could be something. I don't see waiting not when it is a child.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I get swollen lymph nodes occasionally, with the ones under my arms getting sore sometimes. It usually happens when I should be sick (I have a really good immune system)...my fiance will be a miserable wreck slurping chicken noodle soup and I'll be fine, with maybe a day or two of feeling less than normal.

You are right to be concerned if the lymph nodes stay firm for longer than a few days. i know with children they get infections so easily (and the lymph nodes are the body's drainage system for those infections), so it very well could just be your son's body fighting off a few minor infections that have no other outside symptoms. But with kids it's always better to take a "better be safe than sorry" mindset and get things looked at.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.4/193.4/141

Height: 5'6"

I've found swollen nodes on the sides of my neck- checked with doc, said to chill out.
vanchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

One of my lymph nodes in my neck is much larger than the other. I first noticed it at 14. It turns out this is just my "normal," but my pediatrician monitored it for several months to be sure.

My doctor told me that if it was anything serious, he'd be able to see/feel changes in it , and in other lymph nodes from visit to visit.

Keep in mind this would have been in 1980, so "wait and see" may or may not be the current standard of care. In my case, it worked out just fine (and the lymph node that was so much larger, still is).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

My daughter has a lymph node on her neck that is larger than the others. She's had it since she was your son's age. It's just the size that particular lymph node happens to be. Don't be too alarmed, but at the same time, you are right to take him to the doctor to find out for sure about it.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Could it be tonsils!?

If your son is suffering from regular ear infections and sore throats, it's most likely tonsils and not lymph nodes.

Back in the day, a long time ago, tonsils and adenoids were removed on a regular basis. Now, if kids suffer from chronic ear/sinus infections and sore throats, they put tubes in their ears. Seriously!

The dang tonsils are swollen,chronically infected, and putting pressure on the ears, take out the tonsils, relieves the pressure, problem solved!

On another note, we have lymph nodes all over our bodies, is there the same type of thing with the others?

I work for a veterinarian, I know, not exactly the same thing, but similar. We have lymph nodes in many places. How are all the others?
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #9  
CarsonsMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChick78 View Post
Are they sore? Do you have pets?
They don't seem to bother him, and yes we have a dog and a cat....
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #10  
CarsonsMama

[QUOTE=shcirerf;4807929]Could it be tonsils!?

If your son is suffering from regular ear infections and sore throats, it's most likely tonsils and not lymph nodes.

Back in the day, a long time ago, tonsils and adenoids were removed on a regular basis. Now, if kids suffer from chronic ear/sinus infections and sore throats, they put tubes in their ears. Seriously!

The dang tonsils are swollen,chronically infected, and putting pressure on the ears, take out the tonsils, relieves the pressure, problem solved!

On another note, we have lymph nodes all over our bodies, is there the same type of thing with the others?

I work for a veterinarian, I know, not exactly the same thing, but similar. We have lymph nodes in many places. How are all the others?[/QUO

He had regular ear infections when he was a baby and they put tubes in when he was 8 mos. old. Maybe it does have something to do with that. I'm anxiously awaiting his appt. this afternoon. None of the other lymph nodes are swollen at all. I wonder if it was something bad, do you think all of them would be enlarged? I will just be glad to just KNOW for sure if anything is going on or not. I am just a ball of worries today! Thank you ALL so much for the replies... I appreciate them all. Now I'm just going to say some prayers that all is okay and wait and see.....
Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

When I was a kid I had chronically swollen lymph nodes- it was related to having bad tonsils. Once I got my tonsils out (at 15) my lymph nodes became normal.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275.4/258.6/200

Height: 5'1"

It could be a number of things, thyroid, infection, allergies. Get a second opinion.
NJChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote