General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Thumbs down Small Gym Rant

I was on a great exercise kick earlier this year, and after doing well with jogging I decided to join a gym back in April. As I went over the details of the contract with the instructor, she asked me if I wanted to schedule my included training session right then or later on. It's basically just an introduction and walk-through on how to use the equipment properly. I explained I was mainly interested in using the pool, but that I would like to do it once I was more comfortable with returning to a gym environment. She said it was no problem, and that I could schedule one at any time before my membership expires (it's for a full year).

Less than a week later, I found out I was pregnant. I decided to wait on the equipment until I could at least talk to my OB-GYN, especially since I previously miscarried. I also decided to cut the jogging (but that's another story) until I could also bring that up. I wasn't able to even see her until the end of May or so, and by then I was severely drained. She ok'd the equipment sans the weights, advised not to jog until after the baby arrives (since I hadn't been doing it long), and told me that the water was my best bet. I stuck with the swimming, although I took breaks when I'd get excessively tired.

A little over two months later, I'm well into my second trimester and am feeling much more energetic. And the pool gets boring! So as I headed in today, I thought I'd make that appointment to get to know the equipment. I figure I can still concentrate on swimming but use the gym itself a couple of times a week. The lady behind the counter glared at me and informed me that only new members get the free training session. I mentioned how I was told that one session was included with my contract and that I was also told I could use it at any time. She continued to argue with me, stating I was not a new member, but if I really wanted it, I could upgrade my membership (and pay extra!) to include weekly training sessions. I said I was only interested in getting an orientation for the equipment to ensure I was using it properly and safely. I was about to ask for her manager when she rolled her eyes and told me she'd write it off "just this once."

Oy . . . for something that was already included with my membership? No big deal as I got what I wanted, and no need for advice since everything worked out, but jeez . . . I'm still rather annoyed and just wanted to vent a little.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

How annoying!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

"Just this once." Ugh, um gee thanks?! Sorry you had to deal with her (unneccessary) 'tude.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

ugh I hear you there when DH and I signed up together for the gym, we were told that we each get a training session similar to what you were expecting to get....after DH used his training session, I was told that it was one session PER COUPLE and not one each like previously told and suggested I could pay $60 for a training session....hmmm I don't think so
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Sorry that happened to you. Gyms are so weird about their contracts. Was this the same woman who initially told you you could use your training session at any time? Eventhough everything is worked out I would definitely still go to the manager and report this very unkind customer service. I really really hate it when you pay for a service and then someone acts like they're doing you a favor. I'd rather they say no than to patronize me like that.

I hope you don't run into any more problems over there.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

Speak with the manager/owner, and give this incident a shout-out on Yelp. When things like that happen to me, if I find I am still thinking about them later in the day or the next day, I Yelp it.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #7  
Releasing the inner hiker

The positive side to this frustrating experience is that you have been so great at exercising there, you're seen as a "regular" and not a new client.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/220/190

Height: 5'10"

I'm an avid swimmer, so I set my new goal to participate in 2015 senior olympics. I'm really excited about having a real goal instead of swimming endless laps.
phyl8116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Rude. Just so rude. [SMH]

I dislike people like that, they kind of put a temporary damper on the gym experience.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

What awful customer service. The liability if someone is injured at a gym should mean that ANY time someone asks for an equipment orientation they get a cheerful "Absolutely!".

I would complain about that to the manager, personally.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #11  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I was just so caught off-guard, but I thankfully continued to stand up for myself (something I haven't always been capable of doing) until I got the promised session. My appointment is this Friday and I plan on speaking to the management over the details on how it was so begrudgingly set up.

Oddly enough, I went in the next morning and the lady behind the counter (same one that's always there) was super-extra sweet to me. I wonder if she realized I had reason to be ticked off at her.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #12  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Wow she acted like a beeyotch! Maybe she was having a bad day. Glad you got what you paid for!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #13  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If she had still said no then I would have suggested to start banging/dropping the weights.

Put 90lbs on a machine. Lift. Let go. Repeat.

They'd get the idea...

Last edited by IanG; 08-05-2013 at 08:44 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #14  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
If she had still said no then I would have suggested to start banging/dropping the weights.

They'd get the idea...
!! Awesome idea!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post

They'd get the idea...
As a fellow gym-goer you'd deserve a swift @$$ kicking for that. Passive agressiveness is a sure way to never get what you want and, in turn, only annoy those around you. Hopefully that was said in jest, LOL

I'd definitely speak to someone about her attitude if it still bothers you. If it's one of those "meh, I can let it slide" type things, fine...but if it still sticks in your craw, at least mention "hey, yanno, your front desk girl really shouldn't roll her eyes at paying customers. Someone should talk to her about that."
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote