Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #1  

Default IP Daily Chat Thursday 8/1/2013

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Height: 5'5"

Regarding a post yesterday, asking about eggs (I tried quoting from one thread to another, but I am technologically challenged!) -
Someone was asking about the changes in the amount of eggs we can have (2 whole + 2 egg whites, versus 4 whole + 2 egg whites). I am worried that the responses they received were not entirely correct. I suppose the answer would depend on whether the eggs were being used as an "alternative" to an IP packet, or as an option for the protein/meat meal.

As I am considering adding more eggs (convience/quick fix) I would also like clarification on this.

So, what is the "official" word on how many eggs allowed for:
1) Substitution for IP packets, and
2) Substitution for protein/meat meal.

Thanks in advance for all of you IP pros out there!

Last edited by Princess Peacock; 08-01-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #3  

To sub real eggs for a packet:
1 whole egg + 3 egg whites ~= omelet packet

The current P1 sheet is very clear on the protein meal
four whole eggs plus two egg whites

This is not a typo. It has been on the last two P1 sheet updates. The reason there is confusion is due to lack of consistent coach training.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Thank you, Lisa, for the clarification! I am doing a mix of IP packets and alternatives, and the egg info (packet substitute) is very helpful.
I agree with others earlier that 4 eggs plus 2 egg whites is a lot of food, but as a protein/meat meal, it really isn't. Throw in some mushrooms, spinach and green onions - sounds so yummy! I can almost image having it for dinner tonight with a side of rutabaga "hashbrowns". YUM!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

Hiya folks. It's been a while - two weeks actually - since I posted. Wifey and I were on a motorcycle holiday. An excellent little trip through Alberta, down to Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas. We did the standard - Yellowstone Park, Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Deadwood, and stopped in Sturgis. 3000 miles done and home at last.

I gotta say the US has some mighty pretty places and some great people. Everyone we interacted with was top notch and you couldn't beat the service we received everywhere we went. Definitely a disappointment when we returned to Canada and were met with scowl, indifference and lackadaisical attitudes to the job and customer.

Enough about that, time to talk IP and weight loss stuff. In the 11 or 12 days we were gone - aren't holidays great when you don't even remember what day it is?- wifey and I had some challenges to face. Things we didn't have to deal with were we live.

Things like remembering to ask that butter/margarine not be put on your vegetables, or for your steak for that matter. We also kept forgetting to ask for no cheese on our side salads. It wasn't a big deal but made for some interesting looks from people when they saw us picking bits out of our salads or "wiping" off our meat. - Is it just me or did that sound dirty? Sort of like a euphemism for something.

We typically ate at chain restaurants - Applebes, Outback, Perkins on a few occasions. Almost all where great and very accommodating to our food orders - like double vegetables instead of garlic mash, etc. Very few strange looks by the wait staff which was nice. Not wanting to get into a long explanation with the few that wondered about our orders were quickly dismissed with the "I need a gluten free diet" or "I'm lactose intolerant". Like I said this only happened a few times.

So the wife unit and I mainly stayed true to the program while we were gone. There were times when I guess you can say I strayed or "gasp" cheated. - No, we did not have the bloomin' onion at Outback - wanted to but the mantra - "WE'VE COME SO FAR AND DONE SO WELL WE ARE NOT GOING TO BLOW IT NOW JUST FOR A TASTE OF ________" Insert anything you want here - bloomin' onion, fresh bread, country fried steak, almost any appetizer, etc.

What I did do was increase my protein. On several occasions I had more than my allotted amount of protein in a day. Bacon or sausage at the motel breakfast along with my shake. Instead of 8 ounces at lunch and supper quite often it was 10 ounces - all depending on the menu.

Confession time again. One particular day for dinner while we were in Cody Wyoming we went to the Cody Steak and Rib house and I had a 18 ounce rib eye and I don't regret it for a second. Sure I felt like Fred Flintstone in the credits of the cartoon when he is at the drive in with the ribs that overturn his car - the waitress delivered this slab of meat to my table and my eyes popped - but it was the best steak I have ever eaten.

My rationale is that I needed the extra protein for the physical work I was doing. Anyone who has driven a fully loaded touring motorcycle with a passenger contending with the elements can attest to the physical requirement needed.

We also weren't on plan with the amount of water needed daily. It just wasn't feasible to drink that much and still travel by bike. I don't know for sure but I think it's pretty safe to assume that the highway patrol would be less than impressed to see me with "it" hanging out urinating on the side of I-90 or better yet seeing wifey popping a squat on the narrow shoulder of the road because we drank 100 plus ounces of water.

One last observation for my little trip - I am sure that I have or soon will grow a tail and horns due to the sheer amount of steak I consumed this trip. Because of my intolerance to chicken I typically stick to beef or pork. I ate steak twice per day for close to two weeks. All I can say is "moo".

So for anyone still reading this long winded diatribe here is the final break down. 11-12 days gone, countless steaks eaten, a wicked sunburn on my nose, not enough water consumed and how did this work out number wise? The scale says I am down 2 pounds.

I'm pretty happy all things considered and am just 7 pounds shy of my goal. So it's time to get back into my regular routine and to finish up phase 2.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/125

Hoping to go for my second short run today. No weight loss yet this week but .75" off of each thigh and no weight gain either. Had to increase sodium this week due to constant dizzy spells. I am using a product called Nuun in my first water every morning and it seems to be helping. Gotta learn to get up slowly and take my time lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #7  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Spiritman: Congratulations on a successful vacation! My brother rode from Idaho to WI to TX and back to ID a couple of years ago so I've heard about the stress and strenuous conditions riding a bike, especially this time of year contending with the heat (even in Montana and ND). Sounds like you'll need to start posting in the Maintenance thread before too long.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #8  

Spritman: Sounds like a great trip! So glad the US welcomed you with open arms Thanks for the comic relief. Also sounds like a cross between IP and Atkins, which isn't all bad!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #9  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Good morning all!! Third weigh-in this morning and I am down another 3.8 lbs!!
Started the day extra early this morning because my husband locked himself out of the car so I had to bring him his extra keys. It's amazing how much easier it is to get out of bed in the morning and not laze-around the house looking for energy. Especially on a rainy day like today!!

I love IP!

Last edited by shrinkingsusie; 08-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #10  
Started IP 6/12/13

S/C/G: 244/177/150

Height: 5'6"

Spiritman, sounds like a great vacation! If you passed a motorhome towing an orange Honda Element, that was me! We went to Yellowstone and Glacier and just got home on Sunday.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Good morning, fellow IP'ers!

I am enjoying my first NSV this time around: I am wearing a pair of capris that were too tight to button up (or even consider wearing to work) when I started this just two weeks ago! I am looking forward to my weekly WI tomorrow.

I am having trouble sleeping since starting IP this time around and I'm really not sure what is up with that, any ideas?

Keep on keeping on, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanced Life View Post
Hoping to go for my second short run today. No weight loss yet this week but .75" off of each thigh and no weight gain either. Had to increase sodium this week due to constant dizzy spells. I am using a product called Nuun in my first water every morning and it seems to be helping. Gotta learn to get up slowly and take my time lol.
I have found that taking an extra potassium with my "breakfast" (i.e. 2 tablets, instead of 1) helps with dizziness and headaches for me and for my husband (who is doing this with me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Good morning all!! Third weigh-in this morning and I am down another 3.8 lbs!!
Started the day extra early this morning because my husband locked himself out of the car so I had to bring him his extra keys. It's amazing how much easier it is to get out of bed in the morning and not laze-around the house looking for energy. Especially on a rainy day like today!!

I love IP!
Awesome! Way to go!

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 08-01-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 231.0/183/140

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning everyone. Last weigh in Monday was 217.2 and I was down 3.2 lbs. Got on the scale this morning and I am unofficially 213. Is this possible? It must be because I am following protocol. That would mean starting at at 231 lbs, I am now down 18 lbs!!!! I am amazed. Congratulations to all who have had losses this week. I really have to put a ticker on my signature. I wish everyone a really fantastic day! Karin
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/204/170-ish

Height: 5'8"

Spiritman...way to go!

I have found that most restaurants are very willing to carry out special requests; I just have to remember to ask for them! The restaurant business is tough with lots of competition. Making the customer happy for a return trip is a big goal. So don't be afraid to ask!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #14  
IP Start: 7/11/13

S/C/G: 214.6/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie_Bee View Post
Good morning, fellow IP'ers!

I am enjoying my first NSV this time around: I am wearing a pair of capris that were too tight to button up (or even consider wearing to work) when I started this just two weeks ago! I am looking forward to my weekly WI tomorrow.

I am having trouble sleeping since starting IP this time around and I'm really not sure what is up with that, any ideas?
Susie_Bee, I am also having trouble sleeping some nights, with a lot of stiffness in my ankles, wrists, and neck. My coach said I might be taking my Cal-Mag too close to bedtime and recommended I start doing two prior to dinner and two right after dinner. Don't know if that might be an issue with you as well.

Had my 3rd weigh-in today and am a bit disappointed that I am only down 1.6 lbs. I know any loss is good, but I was really hoping I'd be back under 200 lbs by this weigh-in. Not sure what the culprit is. Too much red meat, artificial sweeteners, oils? Not enough water for a few days? Going to really step up my journaling.

Last edited by meinola; 08-01-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #15  
4/13-12/13 80lbs Loss

S/C/G: 256/176/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post
The scale says I am down 2 pounds.
That is so awesome, you should be proud!
Closed Thread