Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #1  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Need Wardrobe Help

Okay, ladies, I need some help. I am starting on the 19th as a TA for my Grad School. This is my dream and I am over the moon, but I also am panicking a little bit. The uniform for my life is a t-shirt or hoodie and jeans; I do not want to dress like the students, I want to make it clear I'm the instructor and dress professionally but comfortably. My main problems in doing this is I don't have any fashion sense and I am still losing weight, so I don't want to invest a ton of money in clothes that will be too big in a month or two. I am regularly sizing out of new clothes I buy.

So basically, I need to know what are essential pieces that I should get to form some sort of Idiot's Guide to Dressing Like an Adult. A friend just introduced me to Gordman's (which is fantasic!) and I got a pair of gray capris and a gray trumpet skirt that looked flattering and were both under $20. I also feel like I need accessories but that is also overwhelming. And shoes, but I refuse to wear heels.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #2  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Congratulation!

I'm a college teacher who's been losing steadily this year. One item I'd recommend is dresses in light-weight knit or jersey (wrap-around, that sort of thing). The nice thing is that is as long as they're stretchy, you can buy the size you think you'll be wearing next month and it'll still look fine now (depending on your shape and the dress's shape, of course)--and you can keep wearing it a while after you're down to the next size. I've worn several dresses through three pants sizes now--the only problem I've had is that that v-necks get lower so I've had to use a decorative pin to pull the neckline together and keep the cleavage under wraps.

In general, skirts and dresses are more forgiving as we lose than pants, which, especially if they're tailored at all, sag quickly. Plus, a skirt transforms you from a student to an adult immediately--as long as it's not a really short skirt or anything else that looks like you're ready to go clubbing. (Excuse me if that seems like a silly thing to say--I've worked with a lot of GAs who put on their clubbing clothes to teach...)

Enjoy your time first class!

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 07-31-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #3  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

How lucky for me that the best thing I found today is a maxi-type dress (very modest, very nice print, but very flattering) in a wonderful fabric and a trumpet skirt. I don't wear dresses or skirts but they both seemed like they'd fit nicely even while I lost, and somehow were comfortable. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep my eyes peeled for some more.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #4  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

I don't have fashion sense and I don't wear heels either, so the best I can do is pass on are links from google

http://www.thefrugalista.com/
http://excelle.monster.com

I think that anything you would consider to be 'dressing up' or somewhat formal would convey that you are not a student. Wearing shoes with a slightly raised heel may be an option to wearing heels.

Sorry, this is the best I can do
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

One of my go-to outfits is a black pencil skirt paired with a camisole or "shell" type top and a cardigan. If you get a black pencil skirt, a black cardigan and a bright-colored cardigan and a few camisoles, you can have several different outfits that are interchangeable. I do usually wear heels (you may be surprised to find that not all of them are uncomfortable if you go try on a bunch, and they really do change your shape), but you could also wear ballet flats. Or even converse sneakers if you wanted to be kind of edgy/funky.
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Make sure you invest in good shoes, especially if you will be on your feet a lot. When I had a job where I was on my feet the majority of my 8 hour workday, I had to get good, supportive shoes because my back started killing me.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPMOM5 View Post
Okay, ladies, I need some help. I am starting on the 19th as a TA for my Grad School. This is my dream and I am over the moon, but I also am panicking a little bit. The uniform for my life is a t-shirt or hoodie and jeans; I do not want to dress like the students, I want to make it clear I'm the instructor and dress professionally but comfortably. My main problems in doing this is I don't have any fashion sense and I am still losing weight, so I don't want to invest a ton of money in clothes that will be too big in a month or two. I am regularly sizing out of new clothes I buy.

So basically, I need to know what are essential pieces that I should get to form some sort of Idiot's Guide to Dressing Like an Adult. A friend just introduced me to Gordman's (which is fantasic!) and I got a pair of gray capris and a gray trumpet skirt that looked flattering and were both under $20. I also feel like I need accessories but that is also overwhelming. And shoes, but I refuse to wear heels.
Accessorize ....yes..a few inexpensive long necklaces and scarves will kick your plainest outfits up a notch. Don't be afraid of contrasting color (for shoes and a bag as well)......if you are color sensitive/timid ...go with silver or gold or metallic costume jewelery that is budget friendly for a few things and classic styles for shoes and belts. Now is a good time to find some classic pieces... be sure to check out resale boutiques for nicer things that are real budget friendly!

Congrats and best of luck! You'll do well...and look smashing in the process if you keep it simple!

Last edited by 65X65; 08-10-2013 at 03:11 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

I am a fan of Eileen Fisher. You can get a couple of basic pieces and pair them with some color. They are meant to be combined and all are stretchy. Since the prices are high for my taste, I purchase mine used or new at a fraction of the price on Ebay. I have some stretchy dress shoes from Pliner. Same thing, I get them from Ebay. Otherwise I like wedges.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

I love low wedge heels, maybe 1.5-2 inches. I still get a little lift without trying to balance on a pointed heel. I (personally) think if you stay away from t-shirts and any sort of denim you'll stand out from the students.

And congratulations on landing your dream job!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote