Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #54

Good afternoon ladies. A lovely day in the 70s. What a relief from the heat. Rain the the forecast for later today.

I don't know where the time goes anymore. I have just had a hum-drum week with nothing happening. Tomorrow is English Paper Piecing so I have high hopes for that being fun. I did start a new class at the Y yesterday - Senior Power which is heavy lifting.

Faye, I'm so sorry Fortune is so sick. He's getting pretty old and his quality of life is not very good. Have you thought you might have to put him to sleep? It's always nice to get smaller clothes!

Wow, Jean, you actually made some sales in the gift shop!

I need to get back to work - just snuck a few minutes to post.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #2  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hi everyone. It's been a very long time since I posted. So much has happened especially in the last 10-12 months. Weight loss has not been a priority with me. It's still not really although I am losing weight but not the way I wanted it to come off. I'm sorry that I never emailed anyone but I just was not up to it. About a year ago I was diagnosed with carcinoid cancer. It's a rare cancer. Slow growing. If you were to see me I look fine. I look healthy except on my bad days. Inspite of the carcinoid tumor being removed from my colon, it spread to my liver. My liver is a mess. A foot of my colon was removed back in October along with my appendix and gall bladder and a of scar tissue from surgeries decades ago. I could go right into the symptoms and what I'm dealing with right now but not sure if this is proper. Anyway, I have a wonderful team of doctors working on managing the cancer...and no...there is no cure. The chemo treatment I get is chemo embolization; one for each section of my liver and I'll continue to get this from time to time for the rest of my life. And then my Dad passed away. He had Parkinson's Disease. I'm the executrix of his will and that is a job in itself. Then, my father-in-law broke his hip and he came to stay with us for awhile which is another long story that I don't wish to get into at all.

But I wanted y'all to know that I have thought about each one of you and hoped everyone was doing well.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all! It is lovely and cool this morning, enough so that I could turn off the ac. It is going to be in the 80's today, but that's fine with me as it is at least bearable.

My husband gets 5 ***** for yesterday. He knew I was exhausted from the night before so he went out and got chinese last night so I wouldn't have to cook then I was looking to buy a new swimsuit and he told me to buy both of them that I was looking at. He is a peach and I think I will keep him.

Fortune is doing ok. He hasn't eaten this morning and I still have to give him his meds, but he will come around after the meds start working. It takes some time and he has a bad case this time.

Susan: Frankly, I think about having to put him to sleep all the time. I actually think everytime he is sick that it may be the time I have to do it. Doc says he has a really strong heart and he did a whole exam yesterday so hopefully he will bounce back again. It won't be easy, but we know we have to face it sooner rather than later so we will when it comes. Have fun at your paper class.

Gail: Oh my sweet girl, I am so, so, sorry. My prayers go out to you. I have sent you several emails, but don't know if you have gotten them or if you have changed your email address. Just know that God is with you. I hope you feel well enough from time to time to peek in and say hi to us. Anytime you want to talk email me. I will message you my email address again here. It hasn't changed.

Have a good weekend y'all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! It's cool sunny 66 degrees in my corner of the world this afternoon. It feels more like fall than summer, but a welcome change. We got 1/3" of rain last night but need more. I was gone all day yesterday; had my nails done first, then worked in the gift shop with the buyers pricing Christmas items, and had my coffee date with a friend in the afternoon. Bob and I went to the grocery store after supper; it was thirty cent Thursday for the gas incentive. I ran an errand this morning and now have laundry going.

"Gma" -- I am so sorry that Fortune is sick again. I hope the meds will work and he will be feeling much better soon! I noticed WM has the Australian Cream in a smaller container. I thought it was a lot cheaper than WG but then noticed the size. You and Jack will look pretty snazzy in your new clothes! I agree the Jack should get 5 *****s!

Susan -- I had to laugh as the Weather Bug gave a wind chill of 65 right now. I know you will enjoy the Paper get together today. I admire your exercise "get up and go!"

Gail -- It's nice to see your post today! I'm sorry about all of the challenges going on in your life! It's never easy to lose a parent let alone taking care of your FIL. I hope that your doctors are able to keep you comfortable. It sounds very similar to what one of my family members went through after I googled it.

I need to return library books and stop at the grocery store for what I forgot last night. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

I am typing this on my old computer that doesn’t have virus protection anymore so I was able to get in to read the thread without getting booted off. If this old thing gets infected too much I will just gut it and toss it in the dumpster. Thank you SUSAN & JEAN for your e-mailed posts.

It is a beautiful day here in the ♥-Land and we have been out and about all day it seems. We both went to the beauty shop and got haircuts. I got mine cut very, very short where the wind won’t budge it even without hair spray.

We had a bit of rain during the night which the crops round about loved and the temps have dropped some.

SUSAN Busy is good to be. Heavy lifting doesn’t sound like fun to me though. I will stick with my Heavy Hand weights which can be up to quite a few pounds if I add the proper ends.

GAIL good to see you here girlfriend. I totally understand why you didn’t e-mail and you know that. Being the executrix of your Dad’s estate will keep you busy. I am glad my brother is doing that out in CA for my folks estate for I live too far to be doing it. I think of you very often. I have that beautiful handmade dish washing cloth you made as a mat on my TV tray and think of you daily.

DONNA FAYE You will be stilin’ in your new swim suits. Your poor pooch is in his last days it sounds like. Will you be getting a puppy?

JEAN We didn’t get much rain either but we are thankful for the tad bit we did get. Christmas items. Yikes, I haven’t even started my gift making.

Have a great evening MAGNOLIAS and I will type at y’all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-26-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #6  

Just a quick post as I am not in the frame of mind to talk. Fortune had a really bad seizure around 7:30 this morning and we had to put him to sleep. Just give up a prayer for Jack and I, this is really hard for both of us, but there just wasn't anything more we could do for him.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #7  

Good Morning! It was a cold 48 degrees when I got up this morning; 65 in the house. The sun has been in and out all morning. It's supposed to hit 70 degrees by this afternoon and it's only 55 now. I'm home for the day and need to do some serious cleaning in our bedroom. Right now both cats are asleep on the bed. Tomorrow is church and a 50th anniversary reception in the afternoon.

Maggie -- It's good to see you here! It will be interesting to see how long it takes a virus to attack your old computer.

"Gma" -- I can right along with you. Take comfort in knowing that you did all you could for Fortune and he had a good loving home with you and Jack.

I need to change laundry loads and keep moving. Hope you all enjoy a super Saturday!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday In The Heart-land

It is a lovely day here in the ♥-Land and I am glad the temps are lower. Currently it is 64ºs and expected to get up to 80 before the day is over with. It is especially nice it is cooler for this is the day Will is teaching a class to a group of Cub Scouts about how it was in the old days. He has some old cowboy stuff from the museum he is using and he will show the boys how to braid leather for a “hands on” lesson. A friend of Will’s is the leader and that is how he got roped into doing this. This is an all day affair with several classes. One of the gals from the museum is going to supply him with coffee and he took along a small cooler filled with water bottles. The troup will supply him with a bag lunch. This is all being done under the trees down by the river. The boys will be building a raft to cross the river on as one of their lessons. Where they will be the river isn’t wide nor is it deep and the water flows so very slowly. They should all have a wonderful time. I know Will will have a great time of it.

I don’t have much planned to do this day except the regular house work and I do want to check my glass supplies to see what it is that I will need to order soon if I am to make any Christmas presents of glass. I have some mason jars in which I can put layered mixes in. They look so pretty with a bean soup layered in one. The cookie mixes look great also with the flour then sugar then nuts etc all layered in them. All that is left to make the cookies is to add the liquids. I have used powdered eggs in these layered mix jars. I love the soup ones that have all the ingredients in them and all you need to add is water. They also look lovely on a shelf in the kitchen or dining room. I also have a rice mixture that is great in a jar for I can use instant rice in them and they are a quick cooking side dish. I keep some of that mix on hand for we like rice. I think I will give gifts of food this holiday coming up especially since the price of groceries is going up each week. I notice the marketing techniques the fast food places are doing now and offering a reduced price for selected items on their menus. All are after the buck. One can almost eat at the fast food places cheaper now than a meal cooked at home. Speaking of food ~ I want to go to Red Lobster and eat on my birthday in October. Will can pick a place he wants to go in the city for his which is September 1. We have quite a drive to another city for we don’t have a Red Lobster nor a Olive Garden here (they owned by the same company). Will is debating between Olive Garden and Chili’s which is also in that city.

JEAN I must have miss spoke for I do have a virus protection on this computer but it one of the free ones and not as good as the ones you pay for. I just don’t have the one I paid for on this box anymore. The Norton that came on my new machine is giving it tight control. I need to decide what kind of protection I will buy for the Norton will run out in a month. I’ll have Will talk to his techie friend and then decide what to purchase.

DONNA FAYE It is a sad time when the life of ones loved pet expires. Yes a sad time. I have no doubt that he had the very best of care during his time with you and gave you much joy. Take comfort in the knowing you did your very best for him while he was with you.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #9  

Good afternoon, ladies! Overcast and in the 80s today.

Sandy and I went to lunch yesterday and then did some shopping at Tuesday Morning. English Paper Piecing on Friday was a lot of fun. The group is growing. And by the way, it is a quilting group and not a paper thing at all. It's called English Paper Piecing because we use shapes made from light cardboard, fold fabric over all the edges, and then whip stitch or ladder stitch them together. It's very accurate.

Faye, I'm so sorry about Fortune. It's indeed a heart wrenching time. You and Jack were the best doggie parents and he had a long and good life. He was lucky to have you.

Jean, you and Bob certainly have an active social life.

Maggie, that's funny Norton kept booting you I for I was using Norton, too. Microsoft Windows Defender is already installed on your computer and will take over when you take Norton off active status. I have used that for several years with good success and it is free. If Microsoft doesn't know how to protect its computers, who does? I'm sure the boy scouts had a wonderful time with Will. He is so knowledgeable. I added the power lifting because I was doing 25 pounds each with the hand weights and that's as high at they have at the Y. You have to keep increasing your exercise or changing it out for different ones because the body gets used to performing the same time all the time and becomes very efficient at burning less calories to do it. I'm also lifting heavy because I want to build more muscle and cut body fat. I have some muscle definition in my arms and legs but more would be better.

Gail, you are in my prayers and I added you to our prayer list at church today.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful cool sunny day in my corner of the world. We went to church this morning, Bob shampooed the area rugs when we got home, grilled steaks for dinner, and then spent an hour at the 50th open house. We got to visit with people we haven't seen for awhile so that was fun.

Maggie -- I'm sure the Cub Scouts enjoyed Will's class. I had Norton on my first Gateway computer, installed by Gateway, and had to take it in twice because of a virus. I need to take my pc in and find out why it won't connect to the wireless every time -- sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Susan -- Do you take the cardboard out as you stitch the fabric? I wish you didn't live so far away as I know you and my "sister" would enjoy comparing quilting notes!

I came upstairs to change clothes so better get a move on. As soon as the area rugs are dry we can move furniture back and call it good for the rest of the day. Hope you all are enjoying a nice Sunday!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #11  

Good evening ladies. It has been a tough couple days. I can handle my grief, but Jack's is a lot harder. Fortune was sitting in his lap when he had the seizure and last night he just started sobbing saying he felt so guilty because he couldn't help him. I told him we did everything right, we did all we could to get him to eat, we always gave him the meds, we took him to the vet, etc. This morning he looked horrible and I ask him what was wrong and he said he didn't sleep well and that he was afraid of falling asleep that he would dream it all over again. Bless his heart, it is hard to see your husband cry for sure.

I told him we were going on a "date day." We were going to go out to lunch and go see RED 2, which we hadn't bee able to do so that is what we did. We enjoyed the movie and it felt good to laugh a bit and we enjoyed lunch.

We also bought an upgrade in phones. Our contract was up over a year ago on our current Iphone and we could get the Iphone 4 for a $1 so what a deal!! I refuse to pay hundreds for a new phone so until Iphone 5 lowers its price, we will just go up one level at a time cheaply. I may have to get a new cover, I am not sure. One place says the 3 and 4 are the same size and another says they are different so they should be here Wednesday so we shall see I guess.

I just heard Jack go to bed so I hopefully he will sleep soundly tonight since 4 AM comes pretty quickly. I am going to try to start going out around 7 or 8 each morning and start walking again and see how I do with the cramping in the groin since I have lost weight. I am about 20 lbs heavier then when I did the 5K several years ago and at least 10 lbs still heavier since the before my surgeries and I was walking everyday. Wish me luck!

Susan: Thank you for the kind words. We sure are going to miss the little guy, especially me being home alone all day as I used to always talk to him. Guess I will have to pull out the stuffed dog Thomas bought for me years ago and talk to him. I have Windows defender, Mcafee, and a malware program and none of them every found anything so I wonder what is up with that? I checked to see they were all at the proper safety levels after you said something about it. I am just glad you all can come in and talk to us. Thanks for the info on the paper piercing. I am sure you told us before, but sometimes my brain lets stuff just seep right out! How do you like the power lifting??? You will put all us old ladies to shame for sure!!!

Maggie: Nice to see you back in here. Hope all is going well with you and the doggies and kitties and Will. Thank you for your kind words about Fortune.

Jean: Jack is going to shampoo the carpets downstairs in a couple weeks. We would do it next week, but it is commissary weekend and nuts and he just couldn't face it this weekend. How does he keep the rugs in place, do you tack yours down??? Thank you too for the kind words.

Well gals, I should be getting ready to go to bed. Have a lovely evening! Faye
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! It's a nice 75 degrees right now but will get into the high 80s with thunderstorms this afternoon. I don't care how many of them we have if they keep the hurricanes away. August and September will be the worst months for those around here.

Casper and I went out at 6:30 this morning and walked for 45 minutes. I have water aerobics at 10, power lifting at 11 and yoga at 12:45 so I'll be busy this morning. I need to run the vacuum and steam mop the kitchen this afternoon and then the rest of the day I can play (quilt).

Faye, I feel so bad for you and Jack. After Cupid died, everybody said get another cat but I just wasn't in the mood and I told them when the time was right God would send one to me and that's how I acquired Casper. They are a lot of company and even though Casper can't hear me, I talk to him a lot. There is some stuff that looks like the vinyl shelf liner that you can put under area rugs to keep them from moving. I use it in the sunroom for there is ceramic tile in there. Both Maggie and I have Windows 8 and it is supposedly better protected than previous versions.

Jean, once all the edges of a piece have been surrounded with other pieces, the template is removed - and can be used again and again. It's nice handwork to carry along to work on in the doc office, etc. Antivirus has to be updated daily. Mine does it at startup. As fast as the developers find fixes, the nerds write new virus and Trojans, etc.

Maggie, I hope you are having a nice day in the heartland! You're jeep will be just like new.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #13  

Good morning gals!!! I have been able to turn off ac since it did get nice and cool last night, but gonna have to turn it on soon as it is warming up already.

I have gained about 3 lbs but not really a surprise. I am not a stress eater but from what I understand, stress alone can cause weight gain. I have had some not so friendly food this weekend so just have to work hard to get it off. Believe me, I am not going to go back up!!!

I have to get cracking on housework when I get done here. I need to get a lot done in a little time today. If I can get the downstairs done, then tomorrow I can start walking. I missed my opportunity today as I had to take some allergy meds last night and they always make me sleepy. I woke up and talked to Jack for awhile before he left at 5, but then fell back to sleep and forced myself away a few minutes ago. It is too warm to walk now. I have to walk when it is cool and you sure can't walk around here in the evening after dark.

Susan: Jack and I decided several years ago that when Fortune died we would not get anymore pets. I have had to put 2 dogs down and a cat and everytime it got a little harder and Fortune's death was the worst. I was the most attached to him, he was bought for me, and kept me company. I can't go through that again. That's good to know, because when we remodel we are getting all tile flooring and I would like a big area rug in the living room.

Well, not much news around here. Waiting to see when they ship out my cruise clothing, hopefully this week. It takes awhile as the dresses are made to order as are the tops. The tshirts are screen printed after you order them and all this takes awhile I guess. The phones should ship today too. Have a great one and a very good WW start to the week. Faye
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #14  

Good Morning! It's another beautiful cool sunny morning in my neighborhood. We were done early at church and now I have my gift shop money to count and deposit. I have a board meeting after lunch, then need to get some more clothes sorted for the Good Will and SOS store.

"Gma" -- I think the guys are just as soft hearted about our furry children as we are. Good luck with your walking program; I like to go early and get it over with. When we put the laminate floor in, we purchased carpet and had it cut then bound into different sized area rugs. They are big enough they don't slip around except for the one in the hall when Sonny is playing hockey with his balls or bottle caps. My kitchen table sits on one, the loveseat anchors one, and the coffee table sits on the one in the livingroom.

Susan -- We are supposed to get some rain later today. I hope so as we are really dry. You have a busy energetic morning planned! Sonny is a talker; he's always yakking at the birds and squirrels on the deck.

I need to get the deposit ready and head to the bank. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking

It is half past noon o’clock and only 72ºs which suits me just fine but the humidity is up to 94% and that is not a good thing unless it gets up to 100% and we get more rain. It has rained the last couple days off and on and made the fields have a large spurt of growth. I don’t operate well in high humidity weather unless it is raining.

I will be missing going to WW again this evening for Will has an important meeting to be at around the same time. I did weigh on my scale that weighs the same as the WW one and am showing a “maintain.” However it is the exact weight I had on the first so I didn’t lose any this month. Looks like I need to get a grip and re-evaluate my program. Will stated that he is ready to start a weight loss program and that will surely help me if he is paying more attention to losing weight. It is hard to believe this month is practically over with. I have not been doing well with “writing what I bite” this month and it sure shows me that I have to do that or I don’t lose. I have just got to track what I put in my mouth and quit goofing off. I sabotage myself and when I get closer to reaching those 100 pounds gone I lose my grip. I have just got to change this type of behavior. Do any of you have this problem? I think I am just tired of putting out the effort it takes to lose weight for I have been at it for so long. After reaching that 100 pounds down I still have a long road of weight loss to travel to reach goal. Guess I had better quit with the whining about it now.

JEAN It is a good thing to take no longe wanted items to the Goodwill and have them be ownd by someone else for a spell. When we had our last yard sale we boxed what didn't sell and took it down there. Aren't steaks on the Barbie just the best. I like to sprinkle garlic powder and lemon pepper all over them before grilling and they are so yummy.

SUSAN Yeppers ~ variety in exercise is the best way to exercise. Our Jeep will be really stilin' when we get it all tricked out with the "necessary" addtions. When I finish here I will look into dumping Norton. Thanks for the "heads up" on that and I'll run a search on my computer to see where that program is and download it if it isn't on my computer.

DONNA FAYE Oh yes please do watch yourself when you start your walking program even in the daylight for thugs are out even then.