Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #1  

Default Energy Question

Hello! I am new to IP but not 3FC. I am currently on Day 7 of IP. At my weigh in (which was the morning of Day 5) I was down 4.8 lbs.

I am a little concerned with the lack of energy I currently have- I don't really care about things and I'm a high energy person naturally, always busy doing stuff. This week I spent my free time reading 3 novels and was totally apathetic about the big party we hosted this weekend- something I usually relish.

I read all the time about how people say they have lots of energy on this diet. At what point does that kick in? I hate feeling lethargic and out-of-sorts but I know that adjusting to a huge diet change will do that! Is it just going to be like this while I'm in Phase 1?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #2  

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindersbee View Post
Hello! I am new to IP but not 3FC. I am currently on Day 7 of IP. At my weigh in (which was the morning of Day 5) I was down 4.8 lbs.

I am a little concerned with the lack of energy I currently have- I don't really care about things and I'm a high energy person naturally, always busy doing stuff. This week I spent my free time reading 3 novels and was totally apathetic about the big party we hosted this weekend- something I usually relish.

I read all the time about how people say they have lots of energy on this diet. At what point does that kick in? I hate feeling lethargic and out-of-sorts but I know that adjusting to a huge diet change will do that! Is it just going to be like this while I'm in Phase 1?
Welcome to your last diet!
Not everyone gets the energy surge from ketosis, especially if they have done low carb plans in the past. Additionally, we all get varying results with appetite suppression from ketosis.

However, there is also an adjustment period & most people feel a change between 5 days and 3 weeks
I didn't get the energy surge either but I gradually became more like myself over a 5-week period. I was a previous low carber. The good news there is that I didn't get the dreaded ketosis flu the first few days, either.

We shock our systems with IP and everyone responds a bit differently. Honestly, I'm not surprised some of us respond with lower energy, as this IS a low intake protocol for cal/carbs/fat

In addition, the fast fat burn releases stored estrogen, which affects all of us differently.

The biggest change for my energy level has been losing 90 lbs. It is life changing.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #3  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Try going to bed 30-60 minutes earlier than you would have preIP. That's what I did on phase 1 and it helped with my energy level. It also had the added bonus for me of not getting the evening hunger/cravings that I normally had.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #4  

It took me untill the end of the 2nd week to start feeling like myself again and even a little longer for my energy surge. Try it for a few more weeks I think you will be very happy with IP! Good luck
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #5  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

When I did IP before, I felt very fatigued at first, but it wasn't too long before I found myself going to bed later than I normally did, and waking up an hour or so earlier than previously and feeling more awake. I remember laying in bed at 6am wondering if it's too early to cut the grass (and our yard was huge!) I was told that once your body starts breaking down fat for a fuel source, it gives off twice the energy as you would get from eating food for an energy source. Not sure if that is correct, just what the Ontario IP rep told me. I am a few days into week three and am finally starting to not feel exhausted all the time. Hang in there!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #6  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

It definitely took me a 2-3 weeks. Stick with it, it is worth it!

Congrats on your loss and welcome!
lauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 248.2/ticker/150

Height: 5'5""

I was really worried about the fatigue as well. I had spent the previous few months just wallowing around in self pity because I was gaining so much weight. I would come home from work and watch TV and do nothing at all. And that is not me at all. When I started IP I was exhausted for the first week. I needed naps and I had no energy to do anything but go to work. Week two I gradually felt better. Week three, I was feeling fine again. Better than before I started IP. Today is the 2nd day of week 4 for me. I sleep great! I wake up easier. I am down 16 pounds. I am motivated and I know that this is the answer that I have been looking for! Stick with it and stay OP and you will reap some amazing benefits!
shayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 231.0/183/140

Height: 5'2"

I am 58 years old and this is the first time since my 20's that I feel this much energy. This is my 4th week WI and I am down 15 lbs. I truly will be able to keep up with my 6 grandkids. By the way I feel near 30 than I do 60 I am so happy with my choice to stay with protocol!!! Hope everyone has a very wonderful Day!
Chinookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #9  
Started IP 6/14/2013

S/C/G: 205/195/140

Height: 5'8"

agreed. my first week was ROUGH. i was so drained. around 1.5-2 weeks in, I started to feel soo much better! hang in there.
floridasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #10  

I never really got the full energy people describe and I honestly would have to say that I never felt entirely normal. I had a hard time sleeping, I was always slightly anxious/depressed (I have heard that low-carb diets can cause this b/c of carbs for serotonin production). Long story short, it was worth it because it was temporary. Stick with it!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #11  

Also, there are quite a bit of artificial ingredients in IP food which can also cause anxiety, depression, and insomnia for people with a sensitivity.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #12  

Thanks for all the responses. I did feel more like myself today. Not back to full energy (but I am an energizer bunny). I will hope to have even more energy as time goes by. We shall see. I am seeing great results but there are a few "side effects" that are of concern: lack of energy, GI issues and some racing heartbeat when I lay down- though I got that before IP too. I promised myself I'd do this for one month then re-evaluate unless it got dangerous for me. So far not dangerous.

On the upside, the inflammation in my hands/ tendonitis has dramatically lessened and is almost non-existent. I'm also NOT bloated and that's been a big issue for me all summer.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Had a day or two of lethargy and fatigue...and since I started IP back in January... the flu was in full force...which I did end up with the first week. (Yes..I got a flu shot ) Went into a rip roaring sinus infection and was on antibiotics for a while. That whole first 3 weeks was the pits. Felt horrible, weightloss minimal...and I had been SOOOO mentally ready.

After that passed have had high energy levels.... and sleep like a log when I finally do hit the sack! Oh...and I don't snore anymore!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote