Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Supplements

Does anyone here take any of the supplements that are referred to in the Atkins book? If so, which ones, and how do they help?
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I take a good amount of supplements ( have taken them for years ). I take Biotin, a Multi-vitamin, B Complex, Black Cohosh, Vitamin C with Echinacea, Calcium with D3, Garlic, Evening Primrose Oil, Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin E, Zinc and Osteo Bi-Flex everyday.
I take them mainly for Menopause symptoms ( hot flashes, night sweats etc. ) The joys of being a woman!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #3  

Hi,

I am thinking of taking CLA that Dr. Oz mentioned on his show. If anyone takes this,does it work. Apparently it is to melt fat.

Thanks,
Sheridan

PS What does Dr. Atrkings suggest as supplements?
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

I've taken CLA and I've also tried Raspberry Ketones (both recommended by Dr. Oz).....quite frankly, neither did anything. As the saying goes, "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is". Nothing "melts fat" except healthy eating and moderate exercise. There are no miracle supplements.
Dr. Atkins recommends several supplements and used to market his own. The basics consist of a broad multiple vitamin & mineral supplement that contains more than the recommended daily intake of B complex and Vitamin C and that also contains at least 30 other different nutrients with NO IRON. Chromium Picolinate between 200 & 600 mcg should also be included. EFA (Essential Fatty Acids) should include GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) primarily found in primrose or borage oil and Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil or flaxseed oil. If you have sugar cravings, Dr. Atkins recommends 500 mg of L-glutamine prior to each meal. This has been shown to curb alcohol addiction as well. If you previously ate a lot of carbs, this is supposed to help ease the transition to low carb eating. During Induction, he also recoomends a fiber supplement such as wheat bran or psyllium husks to orevent constipation.
The multivitamin I've been taking for years is made by Nature's Bounty, its called Your Life and contains no iron.
Hope this helps

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-28-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #5  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Oh gosh.... (since I really don't eat many veggies) I take D3, B12, CQ10, Omega 3 (thankGod no fishy taste), Cinnamon, Calcium, Eye support, Joint - Gluco & Condroiton, P Choline, and MultiVits and naturals (Vitamins from A. Lessman on H*N) Good stuff... It has lowered my stress levels ( I don't overreact as much or as fast) and my hair and skin is so much healthier!. Makes me feel good that I have given my body what it wants when I don't eat as I should..
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thanks. I don't take many supplements because I am on so many meds and I'm afraid of interactions. My doctor has me on Fish Oil and I take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. I may look into chromium picolinate and EFA, since they are also recommended for diabetics.

I blamed psyllium husk on the constipation problem I was having, but I think I started with too much. I have started using it again in a smaller dose and am not having a problem. That is also recommended for lowering blood sugar, and that is my primary goal.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #7  

Hi,
Thanks for all the information.You all seem to know a lot about the various supplements. I know if I took all of those on Dr. Oz, I would have a deep hole in my finances. I never heard that chromium Picolinate helped diabetes. I must look into that.

Good luck everybody!

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

I wasn't able to take chromium picolinate, it gave me such stomach pains I was convinced I had an ulcer