Thread: Salads...again
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #44
Mayssa

S/C/G: 192/183/120

Height: 5"5

I was actually surprised at how much 0% greek yogurt made a GREAT dressing instead of mayo (like seriously, it tastes better it's almost ridiculous). It's a great substitute and tastes amazing ( add to it some herbs and spices to your liking). I don't know how it is in the US but in canada we have some " calorie-wise" dressings that are between 5-20 calories per tablespoon. Those are pretty good too, but always try to stay away from the processed and make your own dressing if you can. When in doubt on what herb to use, my tip is : smell your plate, then smell the herb. If it feels odd, don't use it. If it feels like the smell goes well together, give it a try !

I like to add some cashews ( or other nuts/grains) to my salads ( 4-5 crushed ), they give a really nice crunchiness to it.

Now for some recipes ^^
Have you ever tried quinoa ? it makes for some amazing salad-meals. Mix it with some Black beans, red peppers, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. For the dressing : a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, cayenne paper, coriander and cumin.
Also an other very complete salad that i like to have as a meal :
Diced tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, green peppers, shrimp and scallops. For the dressing ? Lemon zest, pepper, coriander, persley and lemon juice. Nothing else, the juice from the tomatoes and the creaminess of the avocados will be enough but you can add a tablespoon of yogurt to it if you prefer.

Those are pretty heavy salads, they're a whole meal, with the right portion you get about 300 calories and feel full for quite a while !
Mayssa is offline   Reply With Quote