Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 10:38 PM   #1  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default How long do you stay on Induction?

Okay...Hubby and I want to start Atkins on Sunday. I've read the Induction chapter of the book three times and cannot find the number of days you are supposed to stay on Induction. It fleetingly mentions a suggestion of two weeks; is that how long you're supposed to do Induction?

Jennelle
Old 11-01-2003, 09:52 AM   #2  
reaching my goals

I found this information on www.atkinscenter.com for you.

How long can I stay on Induction?

The longer you consume no more than 20 grams of carbs daily, the more body fat you will burn. Depending on how much weight you need to lose, you can safely continue with Induction as long as the following three conditions are met:

Your blood chemistries, lipid values, blood pressure or blood sugar levels continue to improve or remain stable and within normal limits.

You feel well and are experiencing a high energy level, normal sleep patterns and stable moods.

You are not bored. Boredom could lead to cheating and undermine your efforts.

However, it is important to understand the entire Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM. The ultimate goal of the program is to advance from the Induction phase through Ongoing Weight Loss and Pre-Maintenance, culminating in Lifetime Maintenance, which should become your permanent way eating. By following these steps, you can find your Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CCLL), also known as your carbohydrate threshold for losing, and ultimately your Critical Carbohydrate Level for Maintenance (CCLM), also known as your carbohydrate threshold for maintaining. Segueing from one phase to another will help you maintain a healthful weight, feel good and decrease your risk factors for chronic diseases such as heart disease, hypertension and diabetes.

That being said, if you have a great deal of weight to lose, you can certainly stay on Induction for six months or even more. When you switch to Ongoing Weight Loss, your rate of loss will naturally diminish. On the other hand, if you have a modest weight loss goal, say 20 pounds, and lose the first pounds rapidly, it is important to move through the more liberal phases so you can establish the good eating habits that will become part of your ongoing lifestyle and end yo-yo dieting.

I haven't read the book but use the website extensively. I hope this helps. Welcome!
Old 11-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #3  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Ive been on induction now for 3 months! I plan to stay here for another 2 -3 months! I would like to get 40-50 pounds off this body before I move on!

But reading what supersized mentioned.. you need to do what works for you!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:34 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Hi Jennelle and welcome!

Induction as per the book is supposed to be a two week period but as mentioned if you have a lot of weight to lose you may wish to stay on induction for a while - depending on how you are doing and if you are enjoying it! At some point you do need to start adding carbs in order to see what amount you can eat to lose and what amount is required to maintain your weight. This should be done slowly and carefully so you can monitor how your body reacts to the addition of more carbs and new foods!

I was on induction for approximate 3.5 months and then started adding in additional foods according to the carb ladder in the book. I was getting a bit bored with some of the foods and wanted to add in more dairy, fruits and nuts.

I still stick to about 30 carbs per day...and my weight loss has slowed down to about 4-5 lbs per month, but that suits me fine. I like being able to snack on nuts, berries and have the occasional glass of wine with dinner.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Froufy
Old 11-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #5  
Head Princess

I get fuzzy on what qualifies as induction and what does not. I followed the list of allowed foods in the book for a month. After that, I added other foods - like almonds and low carb bread. I still keep my carbs at 20 or below, but I don't consider it induction because of my food choices.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:19 PM   #6  
reaching my goals

I consider myself to still be in induction although I do sometimes have nuts and seeds. My carbs are always well under 20 and my calories are usually under 1200 as well. I don't lose if I don't keep the calories down. I plan to stay here for at least another 30 pounds.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:55 PM   #7  
The Princess O' Pets

This was a great post!!! Thanks for the info. I was wondering this myself.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:24 PM   #8  

I started over again on atkins on Jan. 2003, it was my resolution and one I have stuck too. I managed to lose 30 pounds in 3-4 months but since then I have gained and lost the last 7 pounds of that. For the life of me I can not get down to 200 pounds. It's so frustrating. Even if I cut way back on what I'm eating. I don't eat any of the atkins bars etc, just don't like them at all but I was wondering if maybe I should just eat my 2 slices of lc bread each day or some cantalope in place of that if I wish. Sometimes I think my body is just sick of the same stuff all the time. So like what someone said above, I believe I can keep it still under 20 grams and still have some lc bread and it be considered induction. What do you think?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:11 PM   #9  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

ansnoopy - are you exercising? You may have hit that spot where your body is comfortable and needs to be shaken up. If you arent doing any strength training, try that. Even if you just get a couple of videos and a resistance band.. that would help you move through a set point. I think I am there too right now!
Closed Thread