Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #1  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Default Shoes

I am a walker. I just hit 500 miles with my current shoes and I got some nasty blisters. Yup, I tried milking them too far.

I usually get new shoes at 400 mile mark. How often do you replace your walking/running shoes?
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Hi Sum,

This is a great question. I really should pay more attention to the mileage I accrue on my running shoes but I just haven't up to this point. A couple of things lead me to buying a new pair: First, my shoes begin to feel too comfortable, like they are not supporting me well. This is really important to me since I have a compromised right ankle. I need to know that my feet are stable and secure. Second, I begin to feel more 'one' with road and not in a good way! While I've never worn a hole through the bottom of my shoe(s), I have obliterated the tread and it feels like there is very little separating me from the road. When the support is gone my ankle feels the repercussions and this is never good for me.

As you well know, we runners and walkers are a unique bunch so what we need and/or prefer is very individual. I need and enjoy a supportive shoe so when the support is gone, I get new shoes. In all honesty I run my shoes into the ground and should probably replace sooner than I do. With that said, I have a brand new pair at home. I'm going to track this pair and see how much mileage I get out of them before buying again.

BTW, from time to time I've perused on line to see what kinds of responses and recommendations this question elicits. Oh my goodness, the answers are incredibly varied and idiosyncratic depending on experience and personal best practice.

Good luck!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #3  

It's generally recommended to replace running shoes between 350-500 miles. I wouldn't take them longer, especially for running, especially for running on hard surfaces (not dirt or treadmill), especially for running on hard surfaces when one is heavier, but beyond that--when your shoes don't feel like they used to, it's time.

Personally, my warning sign is several lousy runs in a row for no reason. Within a week I'll be a mile out and I'll get shin splints out of nowhere. Too late.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
I am a walker. I just hit 500 miles with my current shoes and I got some nasty blisters. Yup, I tried milking them too far.

I usually get new shoes at 400 mile mark. How often do you replace your walking/running shoes?

I replace mine every six months if I am using them 4 to 5 times a week. I know what you mean--they kind of tell you when they need replacing ha.ha.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Most running shoes have a rated mileage. More often than not 500 miles. I'll keep mine until 500.

A quick calculation of gas prices would suggest that it is cheaper to drive than to run. I'd get about 30 gallons of gas for a pair of my running shoes. That would take me further in my car.

Dang!

Last edited by IanG; 07-25-2013 at 08:24 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #6  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Ian You crack me up!!!!!!! Okay I just bought new Nike's at $131. I drive a Mini Cooper S (it takes a bit more gas ). Gas being $3.45 per gallon that would mean 2 whole gas tanks and 800 miles! So American way is better!

Folks drive everywhere, it is cheaper than walking!!!!!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote