Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Desperately Need Help

I dont know if im posting this in the right section, Im new. My name is Lauren, Im 19 years old (I know, young.) Ive recently gained about 40 pounds... due to me moving out on my own for the first time. I've struggled with weight my whole life. When I was about 15 I lost 40 pounds, and was at my lowest weight (about 125.) Gradually over the years I stayed at about 140 pounds, which was fine. I've also had a recent battle with depression, and have been taking Prozac for about 2 years. I lost weight when I was younger so easily and I did it through exercise and healthy eating... and now I cant seem to do it. It has me very depressed about it, to where every day is a battle. I desperately need to change. I currently weigh 180 lbs, and would like to get back down to 140. I know compared to some others on the site this is a small feat, but I thought i would give this site a shot. I need help.
KittyMittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #2  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

I have struggled with depression for many years.

What I have learned is that some antidepressants and medications can cause weight gain.

Try talking to your doctor about what you are going through and maybe he or she can make some recommendations. Also, your doctor can test your thyroid.

Give yourself a lot of credit by getting control of this now.

Good luck!

Last edited by doingmybest; 07-25-2013 at 02:12 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Exactly, look on the positive side and get control of it now. doing my best gave excellent advice. Depression is awful so get your doctor's advice. But you will never again lose weight the way you can at your age. You don't need exteme approaches, a sensible plan will work well. The longer we keep the weight on the harder it is to get off.

Good luck!
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

I appreciate it. My problem is trying to stay positive. Im always looking at the negative. Im just glad my family and boyfriend are supportive. Im thinking about joining this gym close to me. Ive never been to a gym, so that has me a little nervous.
KittyMittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #5  

Hi hon, sorry you're feeling so badly. Try to remember that believing in yourself is the most important hurdle to overcome. I know it sounds cheesy and stupid, but to me at least, it's really true. The biggest problem is the fear and the shame and the feeling that you get that you just can't do it. Understand that it's not true. You have power and control. Love yourself and stop standing in your own way. Good luck, we will be here for you. <3
Eva03 is offline   Reply With Quote