Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Default When will I see it?

I've lost 22lbs now which I'm very proud of seeing as I've never been able to lose that much in my life. I've just gradually gotten heavier and heavier throughout my twenties without any losses.

But I'm having a hard time seeing it. I still look so fat when I look in the mirror. I'm just wondering at what point along your journey you could really see that you had lost weight? At what point were you happy with what you saw in the mirror? Was it not until you got to goal weight? Or somewhere along the way?

I know this will vary greatly from person to person and also depends on where you started/how much you have to lose. But I'm just curious how its been for others.
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You look at yourself in the mirror how often? Every day? It's very difficult to see changes over time when you look every day.

If you take pictures every two weeks in the same outfit - same lighting - you'll see the progress over time.

20lbs is great. Keep it up!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

I definitely recommend taking pictures!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I read in one of my psychology books once that the brain automatically fills in what it expects to see, so if you look in the same mirrors everyday your brain will fill in the details, showing you the body you have always seen. This is why people who see you often also are much slower to notice weight loss.

I suggest taking some pictures and comparing them to any you have at a higher weight, or even going somewhere new and looking in a mirror there, the surroundings aren't familiar so the brain can't play the trick as easily.

p.s. this is also why people can gain weight and not notice until their clothes don't fit or they step on a scale :s
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #5  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

shutterbugmama34

all of a sudden at 30 pounds down, people started to notice visually.

as for me noticing? the thing that helped me notice was when I was carrying something that weighed equivalent to my weight loss to the basement (in my case, it was a 30 pound pail of cat litter.) Even though I couldn't necessarily 'see' the loss, feeling the weight put it into very clear perspective)

ps definitely started to feel it at the 39 pound mark!

Last edited by Annik; 07-24-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

3 posts for pics all at once, I say that vote must win! lol :P
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #7  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Taking measurements helps, too. At your weight I bet 20 pounds translates into a couple of inches lost somewhere.

And as far as when you'll be happy with what you see, it's important to remember that there are a lot of people out there who you and I would think look GREAT, but they aren't happy with what they see in the mirror.

Given the many many issues surrounding body image, even my very thin friends have to work on accepting and loving the only vessel they've got to travel through life in.

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 07-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #8  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

I agree with what everyone is saying on here. Even after a 40lb+ loss I still don't see it but my friends and colleagues and family do. I fit into smaller sizes but the mirror shows me the same thing I have been seeing for so long.
I recommend taking pictures too, you will be a pleasantly surprised
and Congratulations on the loss, 20 lbs is great!!!!
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I started at 265 and could go down a size at 230ish, but didn't really see it for myself until around 200. It's hard to see it on yourself. Other people will notice before you do, but many won't mention it because weight is a somewhat taboo subject.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Thanks for the input everyone! I will start taking photos and measure myself. It helps to know it's somewhat normal to not see the loss on myself and it makes sense that I wouldn't because I see myself everyday.
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 226/174.6/160

Height: 5'6

I started at 228 and am 5'6. It took until the upper 190s before I noticed a difference and didn't drop a pants size until then either. It'll happen and its awesome when it does! Keep going!

And I wish I had taken real befores but I never thought I'd actually lose.

Last edited by KellinaKatrina; 07-24-2013 at 08:56 PM.
KellinaKatrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 277/tckr/190

Height: 5'6

I'm with you girl...I've lost close to 25, I am taking pics once a month and I look the same!!! Its hard for me to get the same light and angle...hoping thats the cause. What keeps me going is now when I go up the stairs I don't feel like I am about to die but other than that...nothing!
GMNEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #13  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

For me, it really depends on the day and even within a few minutes time. I'll look in the mirror and think I look cute and then a few minutes later, I'll wonder what the heck happened because I look the same as I did 30 lbs. ago. My eyes tend to dart directly into my biggest problem areas so I try to not focus too much on that.

I think another reason we can't truly see the loss is that we really just become smaller versions of ourselves. Our body type stays kind of the same, meaning I'm a pear shaped person and my lower body is disproportionately larger than my upper body and that will always be the case....even at the low end of my goal weight.

But to answer your question (sorry it took so long), I feel better when I'm in the mid 170's. I can start to fit into more dresses and feel like myself again.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 318/263/258

Height: 5'6"

I'm down 43 pounds so far and can't tell. It makes me sad, but I've had people comment on it so I guess it is true. I like the idea of taking photos in the same outfit - I think that would be a great way to really see progress.
shrewlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/158/133

Height: 5 foot 6

I'm down 50+lbs and I can't see it at all. I think part of my issue is that it's taken me a year and a half to get here (I calculated my loss at something like 3/4 lb a week,haha) and so it has been so gradual that I couldn't tell. Also, until recently, only 2 people in 18 months had commented that I looked like I'd lost weight. 50lbs should be pretty freaking obvious right?!

As others have suggested photos, photos, photos are so helpful in seeing your weight loss! I started taking tracking photos in January(alright I wish I had started in the beginning and not halfway through) and I have to look at them regularly to see any kind of difference. In fact I just did 'progress' photos on my blog (link in my signature, I don't quite have the guts to post underwear photos here yet!)as I had lost 20lbs since starting taking photos and I needed a little visual reinforcement of what I was working so hard for. In fact I discovered that the biggest change for me was my back and behind! The part I can't see in the mirror and the part most people usually get into trouble for staring at Maybe for you the biggest difference isn't where you are looking.

Keep going and try photos to see if that helps. You've done so well so far!
EskaDee is offline   Reply With Quote