Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/216/150, 1st goal=203

Height: 5ft 7

Default Getting started, Lots of advice needed!!

Hello Everyone,
I've been visiting the website for a while on and off now and have finally signed up. Although I've not yet weighed myself my guess would be that I need to lose just over 100lb. (Living in the UK I think of stones & lb's, so at the moment it's a stretch to think of just lb's but I'll get it! LOL).
I hope I've posted in the right area, any advice on this gratefully received. I'm finding the site a little tricky to move around, hopefully this won't be the case in a week or so. Just posting this 'new thread' took me ages to figure out!!
I love the progress bars along the bottom of peoples posts, please could someone put me in the right direction so I can put one of these up for myself.

Have a said enough about myself?? No!
I'm a busy mother of 2 trying to juggle working from home for the hubby & studying to be a teacher. Life can be very stressful so food is a big comfort, but now I need to make some big changes as I believe I am suffering from sleep apnea. This is causing some tensions between my and my man

Well that's all I can think of to say right now, not sure what kind of diet I may do but I love most foods so I'm sure I can come up with a calorie controlled plan (just got to make it fit in with the children)

Thanks for reading, I would love to hear from anyone about their experiences, ideas and any tips you may have. Good luck to everyone on their journey,
xxxxxxxxxxxx
chubby L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #2  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Hi Its nice to meet you, I can answer your question about the progress bar, You have to be a member for 20 days and have at least 20 posts before you will see progress bar Sig. in your User CP area, Im still trying to figure out why I havent got one yet but anyway good luck on loosing weight and I too have sleep apnea
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi

I am new here too (so no progress bar yet) and originally from the UK though I now live in a land of kilos - so pounds are really hard!

I am also a teacher (did 20 years in the English system) and know just how hard that can be - I admire your energy to combine that with a family. Food was a comfort but also a hindrance. I found any exercise I could do really helped with the stress - and of course my weight.

Good luck!
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #4  

Thank you Terra1984.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Definitely in the right place! !!! Good luck with your plan! Looking forward to seeing you around here!

Terra is right, you have to be a member for at least 20 days (I believe exactly down to the exact time you signed up) and have 20 posts. This is to prevent spam and advertising.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #6  

CrazyCatWoman, thank you for replying! I'm not sure I have the energy, especially when the other half keeps waking me in the night because of snoring. I can't go on like this and really hoping losing some of the pounds is going to give me more energy and more sleep, fingers crossed, x
Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #7  

Cheers amandie, love the sleeping cat ticker :-)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #8  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

How long have you had sleep apnea? I've had it since Nov. of 2012, Thats when I did my first sleep study
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #9  

I think I have sleep apnea. The other half is waking me up very night to tell me I'm snoring, apparently I'm very loud and it lasts quite a while after I have had some sleep. I don't know for sure, I'm only going by what I've read. The trouble is he's waking me up and I'm scared to go back to sleep as I want him to sleep too. I don't sleep very well downstairs so it's not as if I can go and sleep somewhere else. (my weight has been creeping up as I have been studying, watching what I eat has gone out of the window!) Just need to get back to some healthier eating and I'm sure the weight and snoring will reduce. Do you think I should go for tests?? xx
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #10  

So I got round to weighing myself today, I overestimated somewhat where I was at but still need to lose 76 pounds overall, can I stay in the 100 club or do I need to move on??? Loving this site and all the advice it has to offer :-) xxx
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

No worries about moving areas! You are more than welcome to stay wherever you feel comfortable. You also really shouldn't limit yourself to one area, just click around there are a ton of great people and threads all over the boards.

In response to the ticker, as people have said it is 20 days and 20 posts but after that you have to set it up I believe. Mine is from tickerfactory and their url is pasted in my signature which is controlled in the user control panel (user cp along the top)

In terms of diet, I recommend calorie counting because it lets you have whatever, as long as it fits in your calorie allotment. As you learn how you feel with certain foods and amounts it really helps you decide if things are 'worth' their calorie allotment. For example, I personally will sometimes make extra room for some good chocolate or an ice cream bar, but most bakery treats like muffins I personally deem not 'worth' the calories.

It also is helpful because you can still eat whatever the kids are eating if you want, you just portion out whatever portions your cals will allow. Check out the recipe section there are some great recipes that can work well for the whole family, and the veggie challenged area tend to have some trick on slipping extra veggies into other foods (like chopping up cauliflower into mac and cheese, or pureeing some extra veggies into pasta sauce)

good luck and
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #12  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

Welcome! This site can be a little overwhelming at first - trying to navigate. pixikat is right though - you should move around and figure our where you feel comfortable. The decades threads are a great place to start, you can talk to people who are about the same weight as you are.

Best of luck to you and hope to see you posting!
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #13  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 327/see ticker/ 160

Height: 5'9'

I am also new to this site and have over a 100 pounds to lose. It looks like there is a lot of support. Need advice on what forum are the best to start off with
mwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #15  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Hi! Might I suggest ear plugs for your spouse? I shared a hotel room with a female friend once, and brought foam ear plugs as a joke, but needed them! She snored loudly from the moment she fell asleep. In the morning, she had to shake me awake because I didn't even hear my own alarm clock! That might ease a bit of stress as you start your journey to getting healthy. You need your sleep, too!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote