Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #1  

Default New here

Hey. I'm new here. I guess am a self-diagnosed food addict/compulsive eater. I sort of hit rock bottom in May. I stayed there for about a month. Starting on June 24, I've been on a very strict food plan (low carb & calorie counting) and exercise plan (not so strict, just break a sweat every day). I've actually stuck to it for, wow, almost a month, I just realized that. Anyhow, right now at least, I'm not having a problem with self discipline. I'm sticking to the plan and feel like there is no going back, ever. I've already lost some weight. I'm afraid to weigh myself, so I'm not sure how much I've lost, but my jeans won't stay on any more, so I'm down a size.

Anyhow, here are my problems. 1) I'm feeling a lot of anger and bitterness about my situation. 2) I feel like I have a huge void in my life now that I'm abstaining from my problem food, and nothing is taking its place.

Here's the thing - I would read this and advise myself to get a new hobby or something, but I'm actually an incredibly busy person. I'm a wife, a mom, I'm a research fellow this summer, I'm doing a massive job search, I work out, I garden, I do all the housework and grocery shopping for my family, etc, etc. So there really isn't room to add some hypothetical thing that will rival the joy that my eating habits brought me. I just feel like my life is empty without the food. And then I feel guilty because, um, I have a husband, this beautiful child, a home, my health, etc. But I just feel so empty and blah. I know it's only been a month, but I feel disappointed that these feelings have not gone away. If anything, they have been particularly strong the last few days.

Can anyone offer any advice or words of wisdom?

Am I posting in the right subforum? If not, can someone post a link to the right one?
surronohappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

Well, perhaps you should try antidepressants or therapy. Sounds like classic depression to me. About the anger and bitterness. You may try a journal. Are you angry AT someone in particular or at yourself? Focus on your goals!
Always, always hang onto hope for the future. Hope for the future is very important to staying motivated in the moment. If you are angry about your weight/health situation, just give it time. That's all it takes, is time and effort, then you'll be exactly where you want to be! Who cares how long it will take to set things right, because no matter how long, it will be worth it.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #3  

Thanks for the advice. I'm considering therapy. I've had luck with it in the past for other issues. I also just realized that there is an overeaters subforum within this forum, so perhaps I should post there?
surronohappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/187/118

Height: 5'4

hello , iam currently on the south beach diet and i placed a photo of a body type that i want to be and when i think about eating food thats not going to help me reach my weight goal i pull out the picture and look at it i also have one in the bathroom , the kitchen , and my car to give me a goal to be driven for
sunkissedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/206/150

Height: 5'9"

May I suggest overeaters anonymous. I just signed up with them becuase I was tired of the lack of control I had with my eating. I too am a busy person, three kids underthe age of 8, work part time, start grad school next month, am physically active, etc. OA has meetings online and over the phone. I had been looking at the program for a while and am not entirely sure why I just decided to join three days ago. You will feel so at home, listening to people talk about thier own troubles with food becuase you do not feel alone and know that you can over come this disease.
I Transform Me is offline   Reply With Quote