Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Lightbulb Steel Magnolias #354

I had no idea until I really paid attention that we had gone over to a second page.

Hope everyone is having a great day! My honey is speaker at a meeting tomorrow night and they are all taking a bag meal instead of going out to a local restaurant and he requested a meatloaf sandwich. Easy for me to do ~ so even as I type there is one in the oven baking. I start with 2 pounds very lean ground beef and one pound HOT Italian sausage. Then the other stuff ~ which I never measure ~ chopped onion, catsup, worcestershire sauce, seasoned bread crumbs, minced garlic, envelope dry onion soup, gray pou pon mustard, various other spices and herbs, an egg. They never turn out the same but he loves every one of them. OH and I make a glaze to smear on the top which gets brown and maybe even burned of catsup and brown sugar. Cold it makes to die for sandwiches.

Have a great day folks.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:16 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's a chilly - cold 39 degrees tonight -- not a nice night to stand around outside!

We spent the better part of the day with the kids and grandkids. Ian's baptism went fine . . . he fell asleep during the sermon and slept through the preliminary part of the baptism service itself. The minister is a big man and bald so I was just sure Ian would be afraid of him. But the minister took him and of course he woke up; he had this worried, half asleep look on his face like he wasn't sure just where he was. Jason and Amanda were standing right there where he could see them and he never made a fuss. Afterwards (this is a very tiny church) everyone came to greet the family and Ian discovered the step leading up to the altar so he was the center of attention once again.

Maggie -- I love cold meat loaf sandwiches! I never heard of putting sausage in it though. I will have to try that. My meat loaf never comes out the same way twice either. I've never tried a glaze on top either; that sounds good!

I have laundry going and I need to go fold some of Bob's farming clothes so they are ready for the next round. He has a meeting tomorrow so if the farmer finishes today/tomorrow Bob will be done for this year.

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:47 PM   #3  

Just peeking in on my way to watch the news and head off to bed.

It's been a gloomy day here -- rainy and chilly. They are talking snow by the end of the week. I'm not ready for that yet!

Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:14 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Tuesday

I hope all is going well with everyone. I have been having an OP week all except for the water. I have not been consuming enough and had better get a grip and do so. After I post this I will go fill my jug with ice water and chug away.

It is a nice 76 degree morning here and Will is out planting a peach tree. He is going to fence it in so it won't become deer fodder. They already ate all my flowers and I will not let them have my fruit tree. They would eat the leaves and buds and the peaches would never grow if we didn't protect it.

Have a wonderful day folks. Here's looking at you.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:08 PM   #5  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been so windy today . . . anything not nailed down tight is long gone for sure.

Maggie -- The deer population in Iowa is out of control. We have so many deer - auto accidents that the state is allowing "open" season in some areas of the state. Usually the cars come out on the short end. "They" used to dispose of the deer bodies but now just let them lay and that bothers me. It's the time of year where the raccoons are out and about too. We saw lots of bodies when we were on the back roads Sunday. Maybe "your" deer won't like the peach tree.

I'm washing some bathroom rugs and will sort through some catalogs while I'm waiting for them to be done. It seems like the catalog brigade is in full force or else my name is on everyone's list this year.

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday! November is creeping up fast!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:41 AM   #6  

Hey ladies! Sounds like you all have been busy!

UMMMM Meatloaf sandwiches. I haven't made meatloaf in a long time and I used to make it when the kids were still at home all the time because it was cheap and went a long ways!

Maggie: Wow I like the idea of hot italian sausage in it.

We are going to have the whole group for Thanksgiving and I am really excited. My future dil's sister and bil just moved about 10 miles away from here in Olive Branch MS from Indiana and so her mom and younger sister are coming down for the holiday and everyone is going to come to my daughter's house. I am doing most of the cooking, which is fine by me. If my friends (the lady that had the surgery) come it will be 15 people. I just love having a big group together even if that means lots of clean up. I found out though, that it works well if I debone the turkey completely keeping white and dark separate but putting it all back in the pan with the juices to keep it moist. That way everyone can get what they want and we don't have to deal with carving etc and I think you get more of the meat that way. I would like to shoot my son though. For years he had always requested that I bake sweet potato pie for him on Thanksgiving and he told his fiance he HATES it! The stuff is a pain to make and believe me if he didn't always ask for it, I wouldn't make it because no one else eats it! Somehow wires got crossed on that one!

Oh, if you are an online shopper, you ought to check out overstock.com. They have great stuff and some outstanding prices. I have found several things to get the kids and Jack and shipping is just $2.95!

Well, I need to get chores done and get a walk in.

Faye
Old 10-29-2003, 10:53 AM   #7  

Ladies: My sister that lives in Calf just called and said that my bil had a heart attack late last night. Please keep their family (Smith) in your prayers. They did an immediate angioplasty (he is just 52 years old) with 2 arteries being 99% blocked. He is very lucky and God was watching over him as he went to an urgent care facility and they told him it was muscle strain though the pain went from one arm across his chest and down the other arm. One one artery could be ballooned as the other is attached in a way it cannot be repaired. Thank you for your prayers for them in advance.

Faye
Old 10-29-2003, 06:17 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's been a strange day in my neighborhood -- first it was cloudy, then the sun came out and the wind started in again. Now it looks like it is going to rain any minute. I have bell practice tonight so I hope whatever it does, it waits until I am back home again.

"Gma" -- You can come and cook at my house any time you like! I like having the people around but sure hate to cook the food. My son's MIL is having their Thanksgiving this weekend because grandparents are heading south for the winter. She cooks two turkeys the day before and then reheats the slices in a roaster so the oven is free for other things. I usually get to have Christmas so can kind of sneak up on that holiday a little at a time. I'm sorry to hear about your BIL, I hope that all goes well for his recovery.

I need to start supper of some sort. DH is out on the farm so have no idea when I will see the whites of his eyes. I'm thinking a bowl of soup will do tonight.

Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:50 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Smile HUMPDAY

Good afternoon everyone in the flower patch. It is a beautiful 85 degree day as I type. We planted some trumpet vines on the pergola with the wisteria which will be georgeous next spring. Will got the peach tree in and a fence around it. Going to put fences around some other trees we planted come spring so the deer will not eat them again. Thing about our peach tree they absolutely would ruin it because they eat the bark off the little trunk and stunt it's growth or flat kill it.

FAYE I am so sorry to hear about your brother in law and do hope he pulls out of this and is back to exact soon. I know how you and sister must feel ~ I had a brother that was a fire man die of a heart atack when he was in his 30's. They hit younger than we want to think about don't they. You take care now. As for cooking turkeys what a great idea if you are going to cook the whole bird to de-bone it. I just never do cook the whole bird anymore since both Will and I only eat the white meat. I do a breast and that does us just fine. We are having a Thanksgiving dinner on the 15th of November at our church and I will be baking two breasts for that ~ someone else will make a whole bird so those who like dark meat can have some. I signed up to do the breasts, dressing, gravy and make two coconut cream pies. Easy work for this little ey. I cook the meat in those neat oven bags which makes them so tender and moist.

JEAN Have you ever thought of hiring a to come in and make your meals and pop them in the freezer for you? Remember Jan from Kansas ~ she does that type of work now. It is hard to visualize how cold it must be there now. What is the temp like in May? That is probably when we will be back your way.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:27 AM   #10  
Thin Within

Unhappy Nighters

Just a quick peek in....... cross your fingers for me for my meeting with the Iron Monster tomorrow.

And much more importantly say a prayer for the wonderful men and women who are here in California fighting those ravenging s. Also for those poor souls who have lost loved ones and homes in this disaster. California the inferno.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:11 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies! Quick peek in before I am off and running for the morning. Need to get my daily chores done and I have a bit of a good book to finish!

On my other thread I am starting something that is kind of a wake up call for me. Someone brought some point up about having a box where every five lbs you pull out a slip and get the "prize" on the slip and she mentioned a food treat. Got me to thinking just how much we put food at the forefront of everything we do so I am having everyone make a list of where they pretty much ALWAYS eat that is not at the table, like at the movies, in front of the tv etc and they are supposed to pick one from the list and NOT do it for a whole month to start breaking the bad cycles. It is amazing how many places we go that eating is the main function or at least we always plan on eating. This month mine is no food while reading or watching tv because those will probably be the hardest for me to kick.

Maggie: Good luck with the old iron man. I know he will give you a good "score."

Larry is resting comfortably I guess so maybe they averted a disaster as long as he learns from this and takes off the extra lbs. It will be the only thing that is going to prolong his life I am afraid.

Jean: I heard those people that cook for others make a bundle doing it. In fact, Jack talked about starting a business doing that together when he retires. I hope I am not too old and crippled as I think it would be a fun thing to do.

Well, this is a stalling tactic so I am out of here! Have a great day ladies!

Faye
Old 10-30-2003, 05:11 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's been a gloomy day and so very windy again. I was finished with school at 1:30 and did some browsing downtown on my way home. I needed a couple of cards and ended up spending an hour just looking at all of the Christmas stuff that is out. I suppose the bathing suits will hit the racks in time for Christmas!

Maggie -- Are you far enough north that you are not in danger of the fires? I need to dig out the atlas and take a look -- I have a cousin who just moved down around the Palm Springs area. I have to admit I don't remember Jan from Kansas -- was she a Cutie? I do miss some of those gals. One of the teachers at school loves to cook and she will be able to retire when she is 51! She has talked about cooking meals for others and I told her I would be her first customer! She is an excellent cook too. We've had some beautiful weather in May but it has also been a cold and rainy month. You just never know in Iowa, what the weather is going to do.

"Gma" -- Making yourself eat at the table is one of the 8 steps that I am supposed to be practicing from my Mind, Body, Spirit . . . Weight class. They recommend that you set the table with a table cloth or at least place mats, the full set of silverware even if you don't need it all, napkin, matching dishes, etc., and a centerpiece of some sort. Then eat without reading, TV, or radio so that you can enjoy the conversation. It's not always that easy when I'm in a hurry but I do try. Our kitchen is open so the TV is right there and always seems to be "on." I like your idea better than the food reward -- every diet hint I've ever heard of or read about NEVER suggests using food as a reward. I hope your BIL is doing better. You and Jack can have all the cooking fun you want! That's not my idea of fun; it sounds like lots of work and stress if I had to do it!

BUBBLES -- WHERE ARE YOU?

I have class tonight so had better keep moving. Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:23 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Weigh Day Report

YIPEKIO ole Iron Monster smiled up to me and said I lost 2.4# this week. Now that was a big surprise because I know I didn't drink enough water and ate some dill pickles. So go figure but I will accept anything going the right direction.

I am way up north from those fires. The wind doesn't blow up north this time of year for down south it either blows from the east or west. Right now it is blowing from the west which is the pacific ocean. The wind did take that smoke about 200 miles over to Lost Wages AKA:Los Vegas Nevada though and ruined their atmosphere. We got enough smoke when the fire was in Yosemite awhile back though. Not bad like it is down south.

I am going to say nighers now..... time to hit the hay.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:18 AM   #14  

Maggie: That's great even with the dill pickles! Sometimes when we least expect a loss I guess we get one!

I am down 4.5 for this week. I yoyo a lot and I think it is because I am building muscle. As long as I am getting smaller that is all I care about.

Jean: Talking about money making opportunities, I watched Oprah yesterday and she had this contest for people to send in their "inventions" the top seven were picked and the winner got to appear with their product on QVC. The winner was this guy who makes these cute stuffed ponies that have velcro that you put around your leg and you can give your little ones "real" horsey rides. They had a nursing cover, a pair of fleece slippers that holds a sponge on the bottom to clean up spills on your floor etc, a caftan looking thing that you can completely change your clothes out in public, a backscratcher that mounts on the wall, a little box that looks like a telephone and you record messages to leave for you pets while you are away from the house and my favorite, a teenager invented a vest backpack. It had big pockets in the front and a backpack built on the back. Takes away back and shoulder strain. I thought it was the best and should have won. I thought the booties were stupid because the woman obviously didn't think about how fast you would wear a pair of them out, "mopping" your floor. My opinion was functionality. The product should look good and have a function that could be expanded, ie, the girl could make them eventually for adults as well as kids whereas a lot of the products had a specific group they were geared to only.

Well, I am going to go. The dog drove me nuts hopping all over last night so I have had little sleep. Think I will try to snooze a couple more hours.

Faye
Old 10-31-2003, 11:43 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am on my way to bed and thought I would stop in and say "good night." It's been another windy and cold day -- 32 degrees right now and we are supposed to get some freezing rain during the early morning hours. I can do without that!

I've started my Christmas shopping! I wanted to get Ian the Fisher-Price farm set and of course, they were sold out. I did get a couple of things though and ended up in a shoe store where I finally found some shoes that I can wear right away because they don't pinch my toe. DH found a pair also and about passed out when he saw the price. But he also has a problem toe from being smashed by a hoist 33 years ago so when he finds a shoe that fits, he gets them.

Maggie -- Again, a big CONGRATULATIONS on the loss! I'm glad to hear that the fire is not close to you. I just can't imagine all of the destruction.

"Gma" -- You've had a wonderful loss this week! CONGRATULATIONS to you too! I saw the same type of Oprah show last summer (a rerun perhaps?) and I thought the inventions were kind of dumb. Right now I can't even remember what they were.

I am heading for bed. I hope you all have a relaxing weekend! Do something nice for yourself.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Closed Thread