Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Food before/after workout?

Can someone please tell me once and for all what the scientific data says regarding eating before or after exercise? Also, what is best to eat?

I don't really like to eat before or after meals and I've been losing weight alright but I kind of feel like I don't know what I"m doing in this area and maybe I could be more efficient? Overall, I eat enough protein throughout the day but I typically workout first thing in the morning and I don't like to eat until mid morning or even until lunchtime, depending on how I'm feeling.

Any advice or experience you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit to add this interesting article on the subject of eating before working out: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37492881/n.../#.UeF-ST771uU

Last edited by luckymommy; 07-13-2013 at 12:24 PM.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #2  
Start 8/5/12

S/C/G: 205/138/130

Height: 5'4

I'm no scientist, so I can't help you with actual statistics that support either argument.

BUT I can say this from my own perspective. Sometimes I eat before I go for a run, sometimes I eat after. It just depends on my schedule. And ya know what? Either way, I see results. But that's just me!
CandieRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Can someone please tell me once and for all what the scientific data says regarding eating before or after exercise? Also, what is best to eat?

I don't really like to eat before or after meals and I've been losing weight alright but I kind of feel like I don't know what I"m doing in this area and maybe I could be more efficient? Overall, I eat enough protein throughout the day but I typically workout first thing in the morning and I don't like to eat until mid morning or even until lunchtime, depending on how I'm feeling.

Any advice or experience you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit to add this interesting article on the subject of eating before working out: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37492881/n.../#.UeF-ST771uU
There was a post about something similar recently, I think. The detailed science of it says that if you eat or fuel before a workout that you are going to be using that source for energy rather than what the body has stored. I was taught many years ago that the body first uses its glycogen stores then moves to other sources such as fat and if you eat prior to working out then, like I said, the body will first use the glocose from what you just ate prior to its back up sources....

All that aside, I have never heard of someone losing more or less weight because they ate something prior to working out. For me when I was running before this pregnancy, I started out not eating in the morning then going for a run. I noticed that was fine for a few miles, but when I started doing like 5-6 mile trail runs, I was dragging...then I started eating a half banana when i got up. By the time I got dressed and drove to the trail, I felt much better. That small bit of food made a huge difference! So for me, I was getting in better, longer workouts when I ate even a small snack before. But some people may be fine with out it.

As for after, I remember reading something like you want to eat within an hour of running...but I forget why...I probably should look it up, or maybe someone will know. I also remember that eating protien after working out helps muscle repairing which happens after a workout, especially strength training. Maybe that's the one hour rule I was thinking of, that you should eat some protien source within an hour of running...but honestly sometimes I did NOT want to eat anything after running, at least not within an hour. I would go home, shower, get dressed, get the kids up and dressed and ususally by the time I made breakfast it was a good two hours and by then I was pretty hungry.

And like the other poster said, I didn't notice any issue with my weight loss because of it. I really just did what my body wanted, and what helped me workout better, and I was fine. I definitely used to get very wrapped up in when and what I should eat. Now I havent been running this pregnancy, but I got to the point before stopping running that I just didn't want the stress of what and when to eat. I try to make the choices that are kind of what she be my choice, like breakfast I enclude a protien, but I dont go crazy over it anymore.

I honestly wouldnt worry about it. Do what works for you.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 07-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I've always been confused by this too. I figure calories in calories out ... but if like Glamour Girl said your body burns what you just ate instead of tapping into fat stores. I've also read when you eat after a workout the sugar and carbs will go to refueling your muscles instead of turning to fat... and it's also good to eat protein after to help repair muscle. So, I'll only eat before if I'm really hungry... but at the end of the day, I don't it matters as long as you make sure you counted those calories.

Last edited by ringmaster; 07-13-2013 at 04:46 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I'm a big believer in doing a few a runs a week of up to an hour each in a "fasted" state... I keep the intensity moderate and I consider them really good "fat" burning workouts... Since I incorporate IF into my plan I just do my runs in the morning and then I just wait to eat until lunch...

Now for any workout lasting longer than an hour I start taking in "fuel" after the first hour in the form of electrolyte replacement drinks and energy gels and bars depending on whether I'm running or biking.... and if a workout is really long, like 3 or 4 hours or longer... I'll have some sort of post recovery drink... and some "real" food pretty soon afterwards...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses. I'm not going to eat prior to the workouts, but I will start having some protein and a little carbs after. My workouts tend to be shorter than an hour. Yesterday, I hiked for about an hour and when I came back, I had a nectarine and string cheese which I think was a perfect amount of food...I can't imagine having a large meal after a workout, but I can manage a snack. Thanks again! I finally can follow this once and for all.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #7  

I can't eat before a work-out--I get horrible side aches from it. A couple of hours before--it's O.K.--but I am like you--breakfast to me is around 10 a.m. in the morning when I am hungry. My stomach just doesn't wake up at the same time I do.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

I had a personal trainer years ago who told me to be sure to have something in my stomach before working out. He also suggested having a protein right after working out. So I eat cereal before I go for a morning workout. Then I have a boiled egg or chicken breast (ready to eat) when I get back. That's it for my breakfast.
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #9  

If I eat before I run, I'll throw up.

Do what works for you. You know your body better than anyone else does.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #10  
Florence

S/C/G: 155/152/132

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Remixed View Post
I had a personal trainer years ago who told me to be sure to have something in my stomach before working out. He also suggested having a protein right after working out. So I eat cereal before I go for a morning workout. Then I have a boiled egg or chicken breast (ready to eat) when I get back. That's it for my breakfast.
i agree with this.

i don't know if the body burns first what you just ate (could be), but in any case, if you don't have any "fuel" your workout won't be as intensive as it could be. not enough energy.

before a workout i eat something that gives quick energy, cereal, banana, oatmeal. (carbs) something small, nothing that will make you feel like throwing up.
after a workout, protein. yogurt, cheese, chicken.. etc.
loser59 is offline   Reply With Quote