Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #1  

Default Getting conflicting information- need some help.

Hi All! I hope your weekend has been going well! I have an aspartame questions. I did look through the other threads, but I didn't find a definitive answer.

I thought that we weren't allowed aspartame on IP. But, a friend on mine who did the diet, lost a lot, and is on maintenance and she told me that she had flavored sweetened water (like from the Target Market Pantry line) all the way through the diet and still lost the weight with no problems. I really, really like those sweetened carbonated waters and I thought it would help me stay on the program, so I asked my coach and she said they were fine to have in moderation. (2-3 a week). But all of the literature says no aspartame. I have had a few of the waters and it does really help me get the water in, and helps with the cravings for fruit (they are fruit flavored), but I am worried that I am slowing down my losses or doing some damage to my system?

Anybody know anything about this?
StormyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #2  

I buy plain carbonated water (seltzer) and add Mio-type flavors (no aspartame, Splenda instead)
I don't use aspartame. It is not a part of the IP plan.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Glaceau smart water has a new fruit line that are sweetened with sucralose, try them they are really tasty!
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Aspartame can cause your body to react as if you have consumed sugar (ie blood sugar rise, insulin release), so it is not allowed on IP.

I have found two EXCELLENT sparkling waters with plenty of fruit flavored and they are sweetened with Sucralose (Splenda). I found one called Sparkling Ice at Walmart and have loved all the flavors I tried. My local grocery carries Cascade Ice. Also love all the flavors and am especially loving the MacIntosh Apple which tastes just like sparkling cider and also the pink grapefruit - YUM!! They have really quelled my cravings for fruit juice.

Both are 0-0-0!!!!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #5  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

I second the Cascade Ice being excellent. Sparkling Ice is also available at Costco but comes in a multi-pack so you can't choose your flavors. Stay away from Aspart. The reason you coach said "in moderation" is due to the old 0-0-0 mantra and she probably doesn't know what the ingredients are. Training can be lacking across different regions and even between offices in the same city.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #6  
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

Height: 5'3"

I love the sparkling Ice. My coach said in moderation so I have mine in a wine glass while others have the real deal! Doesn't taste like wine but it tastes soooo much better in a wine glass.

On a side note...I made the potato purée into a potato pancake with my steak and salad and veggies for dinner tonight! Almost real food! Lol
Maxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #7  

I second sparkling ice....thats the bomb! i had my first one tonight.... but why can't i have it more than only a couple times a week? its got nothing in it...its a 0/0/0/ and it has no crap fake sugar that i can see
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #8  
On plan since June 23/13

I'm not sure but I would think IP wants us to drink more water without additives instead of flavourings etc?? Not sure but that's my guess!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #9  
Round 2 started 6/21/13

S/C/G: 269/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Sparkling ice is 0/0/0 per serving, but it contains 3% juice. If you consume it in less than moderation you'll end up with carb creep. Each bottle has 2 servings, so I bet that a whole bottle isn't 0/0/0!
Beanie Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie Mommy View Post
Sparkling ice is 0/0/0 per serving, but it contains 3% juice. If you consume it in less than moderation you'll end up with carb creep. Each bottle has 2 servings, so I bet that a whole bottle isn't 0/0/0!
oooooooooooooooooooooooh ......hmmm interesting....

okay good to know, thanks i will limit my intake of this closely. i actually love water..just nice to change things up a lil from time to time...
Old 07-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #11  
On plan since June 23/13

I am treating myself to a new water bottle this week. My reward to myself for drinking my water everyday. Silly I know, but I motivate myself in strange ways!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
I am treating myself to a new water bottle this week. My reward to myself for drinking my water everyday. Silly I know, but I motivate myself in strange ways!
what kind of water bottle? anything fancy or just a target special. If its plastic make sure its BPA free sister D:
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #13  

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and suggestions- I will definitely give the splenda options a try!
StormyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

I drink Polar flavored seltzer and the mandarin vanilla is my favorite. Seems to be ok. Also tons of companies are making the Mio- type add ins with sucralose in all sorts of flavones. Iced tea is awesome! Good old lemon or lime juice is ok too. I LOVE the idea of rewarding with a new water bottle!
Balanced Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyS View Post
Hi All! I hope your weekend has been going well! I have an aspartame questions. I did look through the other threads, but I didn't find a definitive answer.

I thought that we weren't allowed aspartame on IP. But, a friend on mine who did the diet, lost a lot, and is on maintenance and she told me that she had flavored sweetened water (like from the Target Market Pantry line) all the way through the diet and still lost the weight with no problems. I really, really like those sweetened carbonated waters and I thought it would help me stay on the program, so I asked my coach and she said they were fine to have in moderation. (2-3 a week). But all of the literature says no aspartame. I have had a few of the waters and it does really help me get the water in, and helps with the cravings for fruit (they are fruit flavored), but I am worried that I am slowing down my losses or doing some damage to my system?

Anybody know anything about this?
Hi Stormy, This diet is full of different views!!! Aspartame in general is not good for anyone (IMO). Your friend may have lost more quickly if she wasn't consuming it. BUT if it helped keep her sane and OP than it helped her. Mio is my go to. Just a little squirt. I've also had spenda with lemon and it's like a sweet lemonade and I also have just lemon.

The best option for all of us is a little lemon...but sanity is important!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote