Thread: Real food
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
geoblewis
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have lived in several developing countries for about 15 years. Some places didn't have a climate conducive to growing a good variety of food. Other places were just brimming with fresh produce. The nationals started having Western health issues when processed foods were introduced to their diets. Not even Western foods, but processed indigenous foods. Lots of diabetes and heart disease and high blood pressure going on. No one was very educated about healthy food choices, and people are not living into their 70s.

I recently learned that we can buy vegetable seeds with food stamps. I wonder how many do that. I too am blessed to have good friends who share their overflowing gardens with me. I spend time helping them with the tending of their gardens. I see lots of empty lots around my small town, in the poorer parts of town they're rarely used to grow vegetables. I wish the city would make water available in those lots so that vegetable gardens and chickens can be raised there. Wish I knew how to get that going in my town.

geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote