Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Default A Couple Of Things...

Like the title says there are a couple of things I need to give up in order to loose more weight, There are soda,pasta and junk food, Those 3 things are so hard to give up but I know I need to give them up in order to loose more weight, Is there anything anyone else needs to give up in order to loose more weight or am I alone on this? LOL
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'5"

You are definitely not alone. I really need to end my relationship with sweets and all junk food in general. Sodas I have managed to conquer, although I do tend to want one every time I go to a restaurant, but I resist because I know it's for the best.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

For me it's not about giving up certain foods, especially foods that I love/crave. In the past when I've given up these foods I've ended up binging on them within a week. A system that isn't going to work in the long run.

What I found works for me this go around was 'giving' up my giant portions. I can eat whatever I want but I make sure it's all about moderation. At first it was difficult but after about 3 months I physically could not eat the same portion sizes that I used to.

The one thing that I guess I have truly given up is calories in my liquids. The only calories I allow myself to drink are alcohol and caffeine. I rarely drink alcohol but do have a daily coffee, with a tiny bit of fat free milk and 1/2 tsp of sugar. Anything else I drink is water or tea.

Last edited by Changergirl; 07-07-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #4  
Turning Into A New Woman

moderation

That is what I need to learn lol
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Moderation is what did it for me. I gave up nothing while losing.

After I hit maintenance and wanted to improve my fitness level I began adopting a more whole foods diet. I've given up certain foods now but it really wasn't necessary for me to lose/maintain weight.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You really do not need to give up any food. You just need to realize food triggers, and set boundaries and limitations on certain foods.

Salty, loud, crunchy food, like chips, crackers, nuts, etc., are the devil for me. So, I don't eat them very often, but I do allow for the now and then serving, keeping the proper portion in mind.

By allowing myself to have them now and then, I don't feel deprived.

Who wants to go through life never having a peanut or chip or donut? Not me. We just can't have these things as often or in the portions we would prefer.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra1984 View Post
moderation

That is what I need to learn lol
It may be a little bit of extra work, but I only prepare one serving of food (or prepare an entire dish and freeze it into servings) so that I don't have leftovers too readily available.

For example, I will cook only 2oz of pasta at a time. That way, there isn't any more for me to pick at. Or if I make 1 cup of cooked rice, I separate it into two servings and put one away.

It's the easiest way for me to have portion control.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #8  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

You don't have to give up anything per say, just reduce. I finally stopped drinking sodas because I do not like all of the chemicals used in them and the way they make me bloat. But pasta in moderation is fine, and junk food occasionally is fine as well, just be careful will how OFTEN you consume these. Depriving yourself can make you binge all out on these foods, know your triggers, and use that knowledge to your advantage!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252.8/250.4/145

Height: 5'4"

I've always had the mantra of anything in moderation but after having a party last week and eating a small portion of junk food, I felt terrible the next day; I was so hungry and craving junk to the max. I'm beginning to wonder whether it will be better to give those things up completely. My body might be trying to tell me something.
jm474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

Thanks for everyone who replied, I will put everything everyone said to good use(<---That might be mis-spelled)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #11  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

You've gotten great advice and ideas here. Just wanted to wish you luck, you can do it!!!

Me being on Weight Watchers, I didn't have to give up anything that I loved. Along the way, I learned I didn't always need 2oz serving of pasta by filling the dish up with a ton of veggies. Sometimes if I felt like I really wanted more than 2oz , I'd add zucchini "noodles" (or cut them into approx 1/8 inch slices to replace at least half of the noodles.)

You could mix in riced/grated cauliflower (cooked/steamed first) into brown rice to make it more filling.

Just all ideas. HTH!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/135/125

If you want to give up some things, I would go one thing at a time, with substitute. Like, substitute soda for water, wait couple of weeks, get used to that. Then, order/cook fish with veggies instead of pasta...get used to that. Then substitute white bread for whole wheat in your sandwich...again another couple of weeks. I haven't had soda in over 5 years now and I don't crave! After you stop it just seems so gross! Same with fast foods. The latest thing I stopped was french fries and after a month just thinking about fries makes me gag. Yuk

Last edited by Elena EQ; 07-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Elena EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
You've gotten great advice and ideas here. Just wanted to wish you luck, you can do it!!!

Me being on Weight Watchers, I didn't have to give up anything that I loved. Along the way, I learned I didn't always need 2oz serving of pasta by filling the dish up with a ton of veggies. Sometimes if I felt like I really wanted more than 2oz , I'd add zucchini "noodles" (or cut them into approx 1/8 inch slices to replace at least half of the noodles.)

You could mix in riced/grated cauliflower (cooked/steamed first) into brown rice to make it more filling.

Just all ideas. HTH!
This is the real trick to me. I cook like this for myself, my child, and my friends. Not only are you feeling fuller off of fewer calories, but you are getting extra nutrition. Just about every component of my dishes have about 50% (or more) non-starchy vegetables mixed into them while cooking.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

Height: 5'2"

I find substituting is better for me. I love pasta so I will eat the pre-portioned low fat frozen pastas (some are really good! I particularly like the spinach and ricotta smart ones!!) I love cookies so I eat the low fat variety (even get no name ones which are cheaper but the same). They are 50 calories a cookie and I ONLY permit myself to eat one.

Pop I am afraid I just say no. I LOVE coke but do not drink it now. When I get closer to goal I will permit the odd coke when I eat out (once a month at most).

If I want chips or snacky food I eat some rice chips or something else low fat/calorie. They have good low calorie microwave popcorn too.

You do not need to never eat junk again. Just learn to moderate and substitute.
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriette View Post
I find substituting is better for me. I love pasta so I will eat the pre-portioned low fat frozen pastas (some are really good! I particularly like the spinach and ricotta smart ones!!)
I'm cheap, lol, and make my own frozen meals to save money and because I like my own food best .

I was just checking out that spinach and ricotta pasta and it would be super simple to make and freeze in portions and I bet you could make it even lower in calories and tastier. I just want to throw some sun dried tomatoes into that!