Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Default Up, Up and away...discouraged! (Not a typical word in my vocab)

Good morning, I did IP last year and lost 70. I regained 40 and am on day 9 of my reboot. When I do IP I'm always 100% committed! No ands, ifs or buts.

I weigh myself daily and that's just what I do (and won't stop).

Yesterday I was up, and today I'm up again to 196.4 (I was 192.4 two day ago)...during my first round of IP I only weighed in with my coach so I could have had increases like this I suppose, but never knew because I only weighed in once a week. I haven't deviated from the plan at all. I've been 100%. I feel good...a little hungry this morning.

My TOM is right around the corner and because I didn't weigh myself everyday the first time I was on IP I never noticed if I had such an increase around my TOM...

Any thoughts?
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #2  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

Definitely TOM. I will tell you, every diet I have done before I always weighed in several times in between my weekly WI and it NEVER made me feel good. I know you said you won't stop, but if at your weekly WI you are happy with the number (factoring in TOM), then why subject yourself to something that is just discouraging you but you aren't using for... anything? I saw someone on the board is tracking their daily weight, and I am a data hound and wouldn't mind putting it all in a spreadsheet and seeing if there was any type of pattern - but all you are doing right now is driving yourself crazy. I ask this in the gentlest way possible: for what? Why is it important to do? If you aren't getting something positive out of it, then what is it for?
lauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #3  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm one of those who weighs myself every day (sometimes AM and PM) and also the one who is tracking it for a pattern. Like you, I won't stop either.

There are days when the daily weigh ins make me feel great and help keep me motivated and then there are days where I feel a little discouraged too. Like you, I'm creeping up right now but I've stayed 100% OP, and I now see the pattern and I know it is TOM. (I was ravenously hungry yesterday and recalled that happening a few weeks ago, so I looked back at my posts here and guess what? 4 weeks ago to the day!!!)

The choice to weigh yourself often is a personal one. Like the numbers on the scale, it has its ups and downs. It can feel great to step on there and see a half pound drop or more!!! But, you have to remember your body cycles and an increase in the pounds on the scale is NOT FAT, if you're OP. No chance. Wise people here told me to trust the process and well, let's be honest, I thought to myself "It would be a lot freaking easier to trust the process if the scale showed it was working!!!!!" But, you've done this before so you know better than I that it works.

I stepped on the scale this morning and was up .6 but I know TOM is right around the corner too. And, believe it or not, my view on TOM has totally changed because I LOVE watching the pounds melt off at the end. I lose whatever I "gained" in the days before plus 3 -4 lbs. It's all part of that crazy pattern.

You're not alone. I got discouraged sometimes reading everyone's great losses here, but I think some people just don't share the "ups", only the "downs". Stay OP, keep focused and believe in yourself, no matter what you decide to do with the scale every day!!!!
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Yes, definitely TOM if its around the corner.

Other factors: what have your bowel movements been doing? Are you drinking lots of water?

The body is continuously making adjustments so in the ordinary course of things, weight does/must physiologically bobble. If one does take daily measurements, be committed to view it from a curiosity/scientific point of view and not a strict measurement of daily progress. Otherwise the bobbling could be a source of distress (coming from a data hound!)

On a side note: I Personally am convinced that some of My weight has been gained with a purpose and that is to cushion particular emotional blows that my body stores instead of letting them go. Extra flesh cushions the wounds. I am a data tracker. I believe that some stalls in previous times that I've worked to lose weight are when I've come up to physical places in my body where the fat flesh has psychological/emotional netting around it. The cushion is there for a purpose: the psyche and the body want the cushion because the captured pain still has some pain throbbing in it. So besides physically losing weight, the journey can also mean working on healing and letting go of old emotional pain. I don't know of any science that has explored this ...

Last edited by Annik; 07-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauran View Post
Definitely TOM. I will tell you, every diet I have done before I always weighed in several times in between my weekly WI and it NEVER made me feel good. I know you said you won't stop, but if at your weekly WI you are happy with the number (factoring in TOM), then why subject yourself to something that is just discouraging you but you aren't using for... anything? I saw someone on the board is tracking their daily weight, and I am a data hound and wouldn't mind putting it all in a spreadsheet and seeing if there was any type of pattern - but all you are doing right now is driving yourself crazy. I ask this in the gentlest way possible: for what? Why is it important to do? If you aren't getting something positive out of it, then what is it for?
No need to be gentle with me...I'm a straight forward to the point kind of gal! (I know you have to be careful on here not to offend or hurt ppl though.)

You make some good points! I try not to get on daily but it's just something I can't stop. I was going to ask my husband to put the scale in his truck. I know I wouldn't grab it to weigh myself if it was in there...But I never asked him! So, each morning I head to my beloved scale to see how my body's reacting to my IP efforts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
I'm one of those who weighs myself every day (sometimes AM and PM) and also the one who is tracking it for a pattern. Like you, I won't stop either.

There are days when the daily weigh ins make me feel great and help keep me motivated and then there are days where I feel a little discouraged too. Like you, I'm creeping up right now but I've stayed 100% OP, and I now see the pattern and I know it is TOM. (I was ravenously hungry yesterday and recalled that happening a few weeks ago, so I looked back at my posts here and guess what? 4 weeks ago to the day!!!)

The choice to weigh yourself often is a personal one. Like the numbers on the scale, it has its ups and downs. It can feel great to step on there and see a half pound drop or more!!! But, you have to remember your body cycles and an increase in the pounds on the scale is NOT FAT, if you're OP. No chance. Wise people here told me to trust the process and well, let's be honest, I thought to myself "It would be a lot freaking easier to trust the process if the scale showed it was working!!!!!" But, you've done this before so you know better than I that it works.

I stepped on the scale this morning and was up .6 but I know TOM is right around the corner too. And, believe it or not, my view on TOM has totally changed because I LOVE watching the pounds melt off at the end. I lose whatever I "gained" in the days before plus 3 -4 lbs. It's all part of that crazy pattern.

You're not alone. I got discouraged sometimes reading everyone's great losses here, but I think some people just don't share the "ups", only the "downs". Stay OP, keep focused and believe in yourself, no matter what you decide to do with the scale every day!!!!
Thanks! I'll stay focused and won't get discouraged! I put on a pair of jeans which are a little loser (JUST A LITTLE..teeny teeny bit)... BUT still I guess that's a better "scale" sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
Yes, definitely TOM if its around the corner.

Other factors: what have your bowel movements been doing? Are you drinking lots of water?

The body is continuously making adjustments so in the ordinary course of things, weight does/must physiologically bobble. If one does take daily measurements, be committed to view it from a curiosity/scientific point of view and not a strict measurement of daily progress. Otherwise the bobbling could be a source of distress (coming from a data hound!)

On a side note: I Personally am convinced that some of My weight has been gained with a purpose and that is to cushion particular emotional blows that my body stores instead of letting them go. Extra flesh cushions the wounds. I am a data tracker. I believe that some stalls in previous times that I've worked to lose weight are when I've come up to physical places in my body where the fat flesh has psychological/emotional netting around it. The cushion is there for a purpose: the psyche and the body want the cushion because the captured pain still has some pain throbbing in it. So besides physically losing weight, the journey can also mean working on healing and letting go of old emotional pain. I don't know of any science that has explored this ...
Hi! Thank you too! You know what you're so right about the big C! I didn't even think about that...duh! So, not only is TOM around the corner the big C has been an issue for the past few days... Time to hit CVS for some liquid magnesium...

I truly appreciate all of your support! I'm sure anymore will likely reiterate what you've all said!!! I welcome it all!!!

Here's to day 9!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #6  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Another sidebar: just saw this thread hat includes a weight loss graph from a woman who weighs herself everyday. Graph shows the bumps in progress...http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ated-info.html
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Everyday on the scale

..can be a good thing if you are using it to trigger a think back on the previous day's compliance to things like enough water...not over indulging in caffeine, splenda containing products or packets and real food that come with higher sodium content. That reflection on the previous day or two is NOT a bad thing for me.

The ups and downs help me stay on track with some of the little things that although may not be true weight gain... are probably NOT the best way to get the most out of the protocol....and may be lifestyle changes I should consider making because on going they could upset the delicate balance I am trying to achieve.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Default Sodium?

Just wondering if you've reviewed your sodium intake for the past couple of days? If you've had a higher sodium intake over that period, the resulting water retention in combo with your TOM coming soon, and the influence of 'The Big C' could certainly show up on the scale.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196- starting weight

Height: 5' 7"

I'm up two pounds this AM too. But almost everytime I have weighed during the week, I am up. Have no idea why. And you are right, it is discouraging. The good things is, you already know the program works! Hang in there.
laloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #10  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
..can be a good thing if you are using it to trigger a think back on the previous day's compliance to things like enough water...not over indulging in caffeine, splenda containing products or packets and real food that come with higher sodium content. That reflection on the previous day or two is NOT a bad thing for me.

The ups and downs help me stay on track with some of the little things that although may not be true weight gain... are probably NOT the best way to get the most out of the protocol....and may be lifestyle changes I should consider making because on going they could upset the delicate balance I am trying to achieve.

Do products containing Splenda and sucralose affect ketosis and weight loss?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I also weigh daily.
Along my way one January I was up 12 pounds and went on to a full phase 1 reboot. The scale did not go down for 3 weeks. Seriously.
Yes, I work out a lot, but really, 3 weeks?!?!
Then it started moving and when I was done (it took about 8 weeks, which sucked), I was smaller than before at the same weight.
So just keep at it.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #12  

..From what I've read and my own experience everyone has their own sensitivities. For me it is salt...way less than what others can seemingly tolerate...and I also believe if too much spenda for me... I see a slowdown in weight loss. I try to limit it to less than 2 servings in a day...and not every day. Like I said...I'm trying to figure out my own patterns and what seems to impact ups and downs esp on water retention. I am very carb sensitive...also have been gluten free for about 8 years now. Some of us have a delicate balance and I plan to go paleo when this is all said and done. I call Lisa the "Princess and the Pea"...she can shed a lot of light about individual sensitivities...

Some of this I will (probably) never figure out completely...but I'll be darned if I'm not going to at least try to understand my own body and what affects it.

Last edited by 65X65; 07-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #13  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post

Some of this I will (probably) never figure out completely...but I'll be darned if I'm not going to at least try to understand my own body and what affects it.
. Me, too.

I seem to be sensitive to Splenda...according to weight loss and ketone blood serum measurements.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #14  

Thanks...I knew I was not alone... !!

This for me is the reason to keep tabs on what goes in/down and how it affects me.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #15  

Height: 6'

I also weigh every day. Two days ago I was up 6 pounds and today I'm back to normal. I try to use it as a motivator to stay OP. I know I won't stop weighing everyday because in the past, when I did, I seemed to forget all of the diet success I may have had and before I knew it, the weight was back along with some extra.
tallgirl231 is offline   Reply With Quote