Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Default Running shoes...how soon do I really need them?

I'm planning on starting either C25K or just jogging as long as I can, walk to recover, then repeat. My jog is initially going to be verrrrry slow. I'm guessing no faster than 3.5 on the treadmill Eventually I will be going to a runners store and getting fitted for shoes, but I'm hoping to put that off for a little while and just use my regular workout shoes, which fit me well and are supportive. I have a history of knee problems, so I don't want to invest a lot in running shoes only to find I can't even run because of my knees.

Am I asking for trouble putting off the spendy running shoes for a while until I make sure my knees will hold up?
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I personally wouldnt put it off. I started running and was running in a pair of cross trainers that I thought were ok and injured my foot. I didnt think it mattered - it was an athletic shoe. It mattered a lot! My foot hurt for a month and I had expensive tests run to make sure it was not fractured.

I also couldnt run for awhile. It sucked!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

According to my trainer, if you are on the heavier side of 200, now. If you are on the lower side of 200, when you are running 15 minutes in a session. No clue how accurate that really is, but I bought mine a week after I started and the difference was HUGE!!!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #4  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

I wouldn't put it off. I can't run ever because of permanent knee damage, but I get fitted for running shoes for my walking and low-impact because my cheap cross trainers were doing more damage to my knees.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #5  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

yeah I wouldn't put it off either- even when I am just going on WALKS I notice a huge difference in how I feel with a good, fitted pair of running shoes!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

a good pair of running shoes makes a HUGE difference to me and i'm not even running long distances....I just do walk/run intervals at varying speeds and inclines...bad shoes give me blisters to no end as well

if you want to even walk and stick with that for exercise, invest in some good shoes...if you only want to TRY a day or two of running, i'd say not to buy the expensive shoes...for example if you normally swim or weights or zumba or whatever and just want to run for a day or two...but even if you walk regularly or want to start that, it's WORTH IT to have good shoes...and I speak from experience
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

If you've got ANY lower body issues, I think proper running shoes are critical. Plantar fasciitis and ACL surgery, here. I told the running store my issues and that I wanted to try running, and they helped me pick the perfect pair for me. That was last spring, and I just ran a 4 mile race on the 4th! I look at sneakers and sports bras as pain prevention, and I think they are worth paying a little more for.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

I am a bit cheap (I like to think thrifty, lol) and I put off buying a good pair for a long time. I was having knee trouble and when I finally spent the money on quality running shoes, it was a night and day difference. It may be because I've lost some weight, but my knees no longer hurt after jogging like they used to. I wish I would have gotten them sooner. Good luck!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #9  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Thanks y'all! I like the idea of trying one or two jogs then take the plunge. I should know pretty quickly if my knees will hold up. I'll plan on a trip to the running store sooner than later
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Nurse View Post
I'm planning on starting either C25K or just jogging as long as I can, walk to recover, then repeat. My jog is initially going to be verrrrry slow. I'm guessing no faster than 3.5 on the treadmill Eventually I will be going to a runners store and getting fitted for shoes, but I'm hoping to put that off for a little while and just use my regular workout shoes, which fit me well and are supportive. I have a history of knee problems, so I don't want to invest a lot in running shoes only to find I can't even run because of my knees.

Am I asking for trouble putting off the spendy running shoes for a while until I make sure my knees will hold up?
The best place to go to discuss your knees--feet--etc. is a running store--if your intention is to stay with it. Shoes are extremely important--and they're designed to handle special knee--hip--and ankle problems. There are many different kinds of running shoes that do exactly that. So if you're serious about running now is the time to get them.

Last edited by Kscott; 07-07-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #11  

Location: Houston, Tx, but Missouri in the summer on the lake.

S/C/G: 150/148/125

Height: 5' 2"

I just got a new pair of Mizuno Waverunners instead of my Nike Free Runs. I can tell a HUGE difference in how my feet feel. Best money I ever spent and now I am jogging faster and farther then ever. Do it, it's so worth it if you want to run/jog.
Mama Whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/167/130

Height: 5' 3"

I broke the bone in my foot on day 3 of the C25k because I didnt have proper trainers. I had basic ones but I still did a bit of damage. I love running now (not very good at it but getting there) but I wouldnt try it again without the right shoes.
Fakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I begrudgingly went to buy running shoes recently on the advice of 3FCers. I was thinking exactly what you're thinking, the ones I have will do for now and if it goes well I'll go to the running store. WRONG!

Keep in mind that a running shoe can also be used for walking, so even if you never end up running they won't go to waste. Secondly, be prepared that they will make you run on a treadmill for a few seconds, right there in the store! They took video of my feet as I was running and showed it to me. I was shocked at what my feet did, as my foot hit the ground it angled in, making a grotesque line from my angle to my knee - it was a knee problem waiting to happen and my knees are already a little beaten up so I can't afford this! From this they understood that the type of shoe I need would need to have extremely supportive arches. I love those shoes now and wear them when I walk, I still haven't worked my way up to a running program.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Whitty View Post
I just got a new pair of Mizuno Waverunners instead of my Nike Free Runs. I can tell a HUGE difference in how my feet feel. Best money I ever spent and now I am jogging faster and farther then ever. Do it, it's so worth it if you want to run/jog.
I LOVE my Waverunners!!!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Nurse View Post

Well, I hate to say this, but you needed a good pair running shoes "yesterday," especially if you have had problems with your knees.

There is nothing worse than putting it off--and then developing problems with feet--ankle's--knees and hips--and then that becoming the reason for you not accomplishing your goals.

Go to a good running store now--let them look at your feet--tell them your history with your knees so they can recommend a good shoe for you. Try on several pair--run around in them so you know which ones will work for you.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote