Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Atkins Bars

I recently received 3 Atkins Bars in the mail. I didn't request them, just some company got my address somewhere. I usually don't eat these types of things, but I was reading the label and on the front it says "2gm net carbs." I always thought net carbs was calculated by subtracting the fiber gm from the carb gm. On the nutrition label it says Total carb 23gm and Dietary Fiber 9gm. So how did they get 2gm net carbs????? It also has sugar 1gm, sugar alcohols 11 gm and Protein 17 gm.

Can someone explain?

Thanks!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello Wanna.... yeah.. the net carbs total also has netted out the Sugar Alcohols... I have a few of them that I take to work when I don't have time for lunch. They stall weight loss for me if I eat them alot (tried them in March as I wanted that ""sweet"" taste in my mouth )and realized that even the alcohol sugars do something to my metabolism... but they are good in a pinch as they do have fiber and protein! Maybe your body will react differently to them! I can't imagine The Company would manufacture them without some kind of science... But They really are not part of the "Original" true Atkins diet....
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh View Post
Hello Wanna.... yeah.. the net carbs total also has netted out the Sugar Alcohols... I have a few of them that I take to work when I don't have time for lunch. They stall weight loss for me if I eat them alot (tried them in March as I wanted that ""sweet"" taste in my mouth )and realized that even the alcohol sugars do something to my metabolism... but they are good in a pinch as they do have fiber and protein! Maybe your body will react differently to them! I can't imagine The Company would manufacture them without some kind of science... But They really are not part of the "Original" true Atkins diet....
Thanks for the info, I figured it was something like that. I am one of those rare people who do not like sweets, so this is nothing I would buy. I did try one but it just tasted like a candy bar. I will pass them on to my DIL.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Beware of those bars and what the label says, especially the "appropriate for Induction" claim. They are most definitely not "appropriate for Induction"....they contain ingredients like soy, milk & peanuts....which are not on the acceptable foods list for Induction.
If you are confused about their net carb count, you may want to read this article, it explains all that marketing mumbo-jumbo in easier terms.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #5  

Some company didn't just get your address, someone who knows you signed up on the Atkins site to receive them. Is someone being nasty about your weight?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Some company didn't just get your address, someone who knows you signed up on the Atkins site to receive them. Is someone being nasty about your weight?
I don't think that's what happened, because actually, they were addressed to my husband who does not have a weight problem. I believe that the address came from our cable company, because they have my husband's name spelled wrong and we never bothered to correct them because we get the bill and we pay it. This was addressed to my husband with his name spelled wrong, the same way the cable company has it spelled. I think companies DO share your address with others, even when they say they don't.

Jersey Girl, I read the article you linked and also clicked on their link to Mendosa.com for an additional article. Thank you for that information.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.