General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Celebrity Endorsments

So, I consider myself a capitalist and I don't really think that celebrities "owe" us anything and should be allowed to do whatever they want.

But for some reason Beyonce's Pepsi commercial drives me nuts. I am not really saying she should stop but sometimes I wonder how much money these people really need. I mean I think between her and Jay-Z they are multi-millionaires and I think with the African-American community's obesity rising at an alarming rate she would reconsider her endorsement when so many people look up to her.

While I understand that this is American and she can do whatever she wants I just wish celebrities would take more care about their position of power in the global community.

Okay rant over!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #2  

I'm trying to think if that was what we saw last night during the fireworks show concert thing....Is she dancing infront of a mirror? We usually always have kids tv on here, and we put that on and my kids were still up to watch the fireworks and during that commercial DH turned it. Our almost 6 year old looked a little amazed at her outfits and dancing, so we opted for the PBS channel with Neil Dimond!! lol

Sorry I can't really offer my opinion. I think many celebs just see the $$ and that's it.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #3  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

As far as Beyonce is concern, she is supposed to release a new album sometimes this year (if I remember correctly). So if she doesn't probably really doesn't need to money from ads, it's still an awesome publicity for her upcoming album.

But I do get your point, sometimes I'm a bit ''... but why are they doing this''. Katy Perry did some endorsment for ProActic a while ago and I was a bit astonished to see her in that. But again, maybe there is some subconscious marketing thing going on ''see, I have bad skin JUST LIKE YOUUU, you can sooo relate to me, so buy my albums''
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It's all about the money.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #5  

I get that it is all about money but I guess I wish she cared more about her fans. But it is her life and she can do what she wants...
Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I get more annoyed at our culture for viewing entertainers as role models and experts especially on random subjects and products... Why do we as a society care what a musician drinks?

At least a skincare product makes some kind of sense.

I'm not sure a musician owes her fans anything but good music.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I get more annoyed at our culture for viewing entertainers as role models and experts especially on random subjects and products... Why do we as a society care what a musician drinks?

At least a skincare product makes some kind of sense.

I'm not sure a musician owes her fans anything but good music.
Society cares what musicians drink because companies pay celebrities to endorse them. Most ads are targeted at young kids because most people by age 18 are either Coca-Cola drinkers or Pepsi drinkers. Pepsi is targeting young kids because they are susceptible to that sort of thing. I mean when I was young if Britney Spears did something I went ga-ga over it. That is just the kids are!

If there could be legislation about celebrity endorsement I would be all over it but it will never happen. I just think it would be nice if we all took better care of each as a society and stopped telling our children that they don't owe anyone anything. I know that is not what you meant but we do buy her albums, go to her concerts, buy her products and it would be nice if she cared enough back. Is she obligated? Nope, but I still think the world would be a better place if people did feel obligated!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #8  

Quote:
I get more annoyed at our culture for viewing entertainers as role models and experts especially on random subjects and products... .
I completely agree with this. I get more miffed when its a health issue. Like because someone is an actor now they feel their qualified to give their opinion on health, disease and medications or whatnot...The only actor I know that is qualified to do that is that guy from the Hangover movies. I've only seen the first one and I don;t know the guys name but he's an MD in real life..
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post
Society cares what musicians drink because companies pay celebrities to endorse them.
No, companies pay celebrities to endorse their products BECAUSE society cares what celebrities do.

If we taught our children to not care, to not be celebrity or brand conscious, companies would be wasting their money.

Celebrities are walking endorsements because we care. Chihuahua breeders didn't pay Paris Hilton to carry her mini dog around in her purse as a fashion accessory, and yet it triggered a small dog fad of such proportion that animal shelters around the country are overflowing with the cast-offs when the fun of the fad has worn off.

Celebrities are people, sometimes very flawed people - often stupid, selfish, self-destructive people who just happen to have a talent our society deems worthy of emulating. That we want to emulate singers, fashion icons, sports stars and not scientists, doctors, and teachers, that's our culture's fault not companies or advertising.

We transmit those values to our children, advertising just takes advantage of our skewed priorities and reinforce what has already been taught.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #10  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

Celebrities are people, sometimes very flawed people - often stupid, selfish, self-destructive people who just happen to have a talent our society deems worthy of emulating. That we want to emulate singers, fashion icons, sports stars and not scientists, doctors, and teachers, that's our culture's fault not companies or advertising.
It's funny that you mention this, I was just watching a documentary on Lizzie Borden and it was talking about the friends that she had after the trial (1890's). She was a big fan of the theater and hosted parties for actors and actresses. At the time society found this quite distasteful, as stage performs had about as much social status as prostitutes (and Lizzie was quite wealthy, so it was even more improper for her to socialize with them).

How times have changed!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #11  

Quote:
No, companies pay celebrities to endorse their products BECAUSE society cares what celebrities do.
But why does society care? Advertising companies make it look cool. I think it is much more circular than blaming any one element.

Once upon a time curvy women were considered attractive, even in the 80s and early 90s healthy thin was in. Who convinced us "Heroin chic" was in? Calvin Klein and Kate Moss and then every advertising company bombarded us with that image. Of course society didn't have to fall for I guess but typically people are unconscious of when an advertisement is affecting them.

It is just a sad, vicious cycle!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #12  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

If we taught our children to not care, to not be celebrity or brand conscious, companies would be wasting their money.

Celebrities are walking endorsements because we care. Chihuahua breeders didn't pay Paris Hilton to carry her mini dog around in her purse as a fashion accessory, and yet it triggered a small dog fad of such proportion that animal shelters around the country are overflowing with the cast-offs when the fun of the fad has worn off.

We transmit those values to our children, advertising just takes advantage of our skewed priorities and reinforce what has already been taught.
This. 1000 times this ^^^

I can't tell you how many of my 8th graders think they're going to be the next Kobe Bryant, Buster Posey, Kanye West, or god forbid, a Kardashian!

The advertising industry doesn't create celebrity worship, ignorance and lack of values creates celebrity worship. Teach your kids to admire people who MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD, not people who happen to make money because they have a talent that sells.

I'm sure Beyonce is a fantastic person. She's certainly a great singer. However, she's done nothing with her life that I'm aware of to make me want my teen daughter admiring her. Is she working on a cure for cancer? Is she feeding children in 3rd world countries? Is she finding homes for orphans of war? Does she rush into burning buildings to save lives? Those are the people I've taught my kids to admire. Appreciating someone's talent (eg, singing voice or ability to play basketball) is different from admiring the PERSON.

That being said, for the time being we still live in a capitalist economy and as far as I'm concerned Beyonce can sell herself however she wants. She doesn't owe me, you, or the entire African American community anything. People who think she does are living under a victim mentality. Sure, you're a victim of Beyonce's greed because you're weak minded enough to drink Pepsi because Beyonce thinks it's cool. Get a grip and teach your kids some critical thinking skills!!!

*stepping off soapbox now*
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroTeacher View Post
This. 1000 times this ^^^

I can't tell you how many of my 8th graders think they're going to be the next Kobe Bryant, Buster Posey, Kanye West, or god forbid, a Kardashian!

The advertising industry doesn't create celebrity worship, ignorance and lack of values creates celebrity worship. Teach your kids to admire people who MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD, not people who happen to make money because they have a talent that sells.

I'm sure Beyonce is a fantastic person. She's certainly a great singer. However, she's done nothing with her life that I'm aware of to make me want my teen daughter admiring her. Is she working on a cure for cancer? Is she feeding children in 3rd world countries? Is she finding homes for orphans of war? Does she rush into burning buildings to save lives? Those are the people I've taught my kids to admire. Appreciating someone's talent (eg, singing voice or ability to play basketball) is different from admiring the PERSON.

That being said, for the time being we still live in a capitalist economy and as far as I'm concerned Beyonce can sell herself however she wants. She doesn't owe me, you, or the entire African American community anything. People who think she does are living under a victim mentality. Sure, you're a victim of Beyonce's greed because you're weak minded enough to drink Pepsi because Beyonce thinks it's cool. Get a grip and teach your kids some critical thinking skills!!!

*stepping off soapbox now*
First, I hate Pepsi! I am Coca-Cola girl! (Maybe that is why I am mad at Beyonce)

However, there is only so much a parent can do. They are at school all day and are influenced by a wide variety elements including the internet. I am sure no one in their right mind wants anyone their kid to look up to a celebrity. But just like no parent wants their kids to have an eating disorder, be a drug addict, etc. some things are out of your control. Also, not every parent is good financial position to be on top of their kids all the time. (If you say "then they shouldn't have kids until they are ready." I completely agree.)

There are thousands of studies about the brainwashing of advertising and most people like to think they are not influenced by but most likely that are. Just look on Google Scholar for all the scientific articles from reputable agencies. Most of us on this very forum have been seduced by a number of fad diets.

I agree that Beyonce is allowed to do what she wants (I have a different opinion of advertising companies but that is separate discussion) but I merely questioning the issue of social responsibility and my irritation with her.

I hope that not only do I teach my children (if I have them) to look up to doctors, astronauts, researchers, etc. but that I can teach them to be kind to others and not take advantage of people who, yes, may be weak minded.

Last edited by PatLib; 07-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

The thing that annoys me the most about Beyonce in this aspect is that she was very involved in the "lets move" campaign, did commercials etc. Then she turns around and signs a 50 million dollar pepsi contract. You can't say that you really care about childhood obesity and then turn around and start pushing Pepsi.

I also get annoyed when athletes promote unhealthy food.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post

Once upon a time curvy women were considered attractive, even in the 80s and early 90s healthy thin was in. Who convinced us "Heroin chic" was in?
I don't understand why it's ok to shame the bodies of thin women. Yes, there is a problem with the message being sent to women and girls, but it goes both ways--fat shaming AND thin shaming are both wrong.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote