Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default How would you have determined this? I can't stop obsessing.

I think I messed up, and I should've spoken up but I didn't cause I didn't want to be a pain in the rear end, but I had brunch today at I-hop with my new roommate and she really wanted flavored coffee. For those of you that don't know, Ihop serves two different single flavored coffee beverages in french vanilla and swiss mocha, in a decently sized mug with whipped cream on top. The french vanilla flavor comes in at 190 calories.

So to make a long story shortish, she asked the waitress if she could get the flavored coffee in the pot instead of her own personal cup. I don't know where the calories from or what the calories of the coffee are without whipped cream, but I do know the waitress ended up just bringing us a pot of coffee with the french vanilla flavor added to it. I'm kinda freaking out about this, and I really should have spoken up but I wasn't sure and she wanted the coffee and well, I hate being in situations like that. They're awkward for me, especially when I'm with someone who's not worried about calorie-content. I do know the waitress asked us if we could taste the vanilla, so I'm thinking she couldn't have added that much... but I have no idea how to calculate the calories for that since it wasn't just plain coffee. I didn't want to be a pain and ask for a whole separate pot of coffee for myself... but I don't know. I always feel like I'm being overly anal about that kinda stuff. But I'm freaking out because I don't think it was a whole 190 calories for my two cups of coffee (I shouldn't have even had the coffee, but I always have coffee and water when I go to restaurants like that -- it's my staple), but I don't know how much was actually in it either.

How would you go about that? And would you have ordered a separate pot of coffee for yourself? That just seems so silly.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Not sure if this helps but shots of flavor syrup come in at 80 cals for 2 TBS. Usually that is enough for a good size cup of coffee and fairly flavorful. So add that plus what ever cream that they put in it.

If it was a pot of coffee they may not have added the whole milk or cream...so all you may be looking at is the cals from the flavor shots.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 06-28-2013 at 12:23 AM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I would add in a TBS of flavor for each regular size cup of coffee that you drank.

I obsessed recently about the milk on my oats. I was on auto pilot and could not figure out what milk I added to my oats. Was is my kids whole milk, my coffee creamer or my almond milk? It tasted extra good that day. I was freaking out trying to remember what milk I used. I took the happy medium. My creamer bottle was not depleted so I counted a half a cup of whole milk. Worse case.....
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

First, don't stress about ONE TIME

Second, be a pain! In restaurants (especially sit down ones) you are paying a bit of a premium for your food to be prepared. Be particular about it and don't be afraid to clarify once the order is brought out if you're not sure. I've sent things back that have stuff on them that I don't want, ask "this is diet soda, right?", etc.

Third, don't be afraid to warn people! When I went away with some friends recently, we had a hotel room with a kitchen. They wanted to make potluck meals and everyone had designated items to bring. I outright said: "guys, I'm a pain in the *** because I am particular about my food. I'll bring drinks for everyone and seperate food for myself." They were totally fine with that.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #5  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Usually when I stress out about something like that, it's because I have already had a few minor slips or a major slip and I'm trying to keep things in check so I can recover from it (i.e. getting water weight off). And I guess that's the endless cycle of maintenance -- you're always trying to recover from a slip up, lol.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #6  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Ech, I wouldn't stress over it. But I will say that the restaurant would probably have balked over bringing over another pot of coffee to the table, only because they don't carry that many pots to begin with.

Next time, before going into a restaurant, tell your roommate that if she wants to do a pot again, that's fine, but you're not sharing.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

haha... that's a good question to ask for future reference, I would probably obsesses over something like that too.

If it's the flavor syrups they use, like Torani I think is a popular brand (think starbucks uses this one too), but they also comein regular and also in sugar free with 0 calories, so maybe that's what IHOP uses? I guess you could of said and fibbed a bit and say you are diabetic and need to know if the coffee has sugar in it.. then if it did, good excuse to order your own pot.

If your friend is aware of your weightloss, I'm sure they are supportive of it, so I don't think it would hurt to have asked or have gotten a pot or cup of coffee for yourself.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #8  
Perpetual Dieter

S/C/G: 191/187/130

Height: 5'2

Yeah I agree with most of the comments on here, Just take a rough estimate for this time and put it to the back of your mind.
What's drank is drank as such.
Next time just insist on sticking to the standard sizes that you know the details for.
I do disagree with ringmaster though and will say you should never fake something such as being diabetic as a reason for asking for information or refusing to eat something. Its a diet/lifestyle change, not a dirty secret. You have the right to know what you're putting in your body
Kayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #9  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Kayles, pretending to have diabetes isn't a great idea, and it would make you dishonest.

There's nothing wrong with being aware of what you eat and counting your calories. Does your new room mate know that you lost a lot of weight and are now in maintenance? If not, I think it would be a good idea to clue her in. Something like, "I just want you to know that I have some dietary/calorie restrictions. I used to have a weight problem but I've been managing it by eating this way."
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You don't necessarily have to lie about having diabetes, allergies, etc. You can just say "I can't have sugar," or "I need to know how this is prepared," "I can't have dressing," etc. I never lie about allergies, but I if—for example—I'm ordering unsweetened iced tea, I'll ask for it unsweetened and say: "Please make sure it's correct; I can't have the sugar."

They may assume that you have diabetes, but to be honest there could be a variety of reasons why someone doesn't want sugar in something and there is no reason why you need to share your life story with your server. Unfortunately though using strong language like "CAN'T" is sometimes the only way to ensure you get what you ordered.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #11  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Or you can just say you prefer the regular coffee this morning and so could you have a separate pot of plain coffee? Not wanting something sweet isn't anything to raise eyebrows about and it doesn't havea to be the calories that spur the request.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #12  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

Firstly, it's no big deal -- just get back on track at the next meal! I would probably have counted two cups at 200 calories just to be safe.

Secondly, ABSOLUTELY order your own pot of coffee. Sistah PLEASE! It's not silly at all! I would have said something like, (to the friend) "wow that sounds yummy but I'm goin' for the straight up coffee today... (then, to the server) I'll have my own pot of regular... thanks!"

We go to IHOP all the time and they're more than happy to bring separate pots -- for flavored, regular, decaf, whatever. I've never seen anyone "balk" at bringing an extra pot, and if they did, I'd be getting management involved -- you're a server who made a decision to serve people coffee that I'm paying AND tipping you for... ya' better not openly balk at me asking for another pot LOL

Anyway OP, next time ask for the other pot. It's not silly at all. If you would have ordered decaf they'd have brought you another pot, what's the diff?
35X35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

You can always just exercise it off. I mean, if you do something extra that burns 200 calories, you don't have to think about it.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
Or you can just say you prefer the regular coffee this morning and so could you have a separate pot of plain coffee? Not wanting something sweet isn't anything to raise eyebrows about and it doesn't havea to be the calories that spur the request.
I second this. Some people don't want to get into detail about their diets and counting calories. Just say you prefer *fill in the blank* over the flavored stuff next time. That really should be the end of the conversation. If she questions or hounds you about it, she's weird lol.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Coffee with syrup in it has calories. But just flavored coffee does not (well, no more than unflavored coffee, really which has a couple of calories).

Sounds like you had the former, but just in case...

And yes, get your own pot next time! No one will care!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote