Old 06-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #1  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Default tuna, good or bad?

I've started eating more tuna. Particularly the canned tuna in springwater and the tuna in sweet chilli. Is tuna healthy?
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #2  
Shona★

S/C/G: 220/185.4/140

Height: 5'6

Yup Tuna is healthy. I ate a lot of Tuna and Chicken in springwater when I began losing weight.
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #3  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I usually buy Starkist Albacore White Tuna w/ Water. I rinse it off to get some of the sodium off, them I drain it. I use yellow mustard instead of mayo to make a spread for sandwiches or crackers. I also stole the cucumber boat idea from Dr Oz a few times.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes. Other things you may want to try are: sardines in water; tinned octopus and tinned cockles.

I love tinned seafood as an excellent source of low-calorie protein. I do try to rinse the brine or olive oil however before eating to keep the sodium/calories lower as required.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love canned seafood including tuna. I do try to make ecologically responsible and low-contaminant choices by choosing smaller fishies at least as often as the big guys. Smaller, younger fish are said to be the safer and more sustainable choice, but unless you're eating tons of fish, it probably doesn't matter.

Mostly for me, it's an excuse to check out the dozens and dozens of canned seafood options at the local asian groceries. Before I discovered Smiling fish brand out of Thailand, I never knew sardines and other fish and fish fillets came in so many different sauces (The cans look like tomato paste cans because the fish are packed upright).

You do have to read the labels because some sauces are higher in salt, sugar, calories, fat.... or whatever else you might care about.

Sardines or mackerel in every shade of curry seems weird to the uninitiated at first, but really yummy once you get over the odd factor.

Not so odd anymore though, now that flavored tuna is becoming popular in the US. I love the flavored tunas from familiar brands like Starkist and Chicken of the Sea. Sweet and Smoky is one of my favorites.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #6  
it's always something

It's healthy, but I think the limit is one can every 3 days (albacore only once every 9 days) due to the mercury content. Children should eat it much less often.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote