Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #1  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Heat Wave & Water Retention = Demoralizing :(

We've been experiencing quite the heat wave in California. That combined with some high sodium food (Vietnamese!) have made me put on a couple pounds which is completely demoralizing since I had just lost 10. Anyone have any advice on how to shed the water weight? Bananas? I've been drinking tons of water!
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

im not sure quite how to get rid of the water weight besides just waiting it out.....but I too have been in the same boat as you this summer

while "hot" in Alaska is not the same as hot anywhere else, we've been having weeks upon weeks of temperatures into the 70s and 80s which IS HOT for this rainforest girl and with the nice weather comes sunburn after sunburn despite sunscreen....and then comes the water retention and desire to exist on ice cream alone lol

ETA: there is no such thing as air conditioning in Alaska....not in any home or place of business

Last edited by alaskanlaughter; 07-01-2013 at 12:58 AM.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #3  

I think you may need to just wait it out. I am in the midst of very humid weather for like 10 days and probably 10 more. I am sure that has put a few lbs on me but I find that during such periods there is nothing that can be done. I am PMSing now and that always makes me go to the bathroom but still I am up a few lbs. Just give the scale a pass for a while and the first cool dry day you get... you will be happy.
Emma4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Try to wait it out and try not to let it get to you. You are not in this just to see lower numbers on the scale - you are in this to reduce your body fat. Even if you took a diuretic and peed out two pounds overnight, you would know that you hadn't really lost two more pounds of body fat. It's an illusion. So don't let the illusion get to you. Try instead to focus on the longer term. Do you weigh less than you did a month ago? Most of that is body fat. A month from now you will weigh less still - also, body fat. That is what you are after - fat loss, not just weight loss.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Live in the CA desert, just got back from Alaska, so I know what you all are saying about the weather. I just told DH that if Alaska were always that nice, I would be moving there.

Anyway, plane rides, heat and just general orneriness cause me to retain water. I think maybe it helps to drink lots of water. I took a diuretic and it didn't seem to do any good. A couple of days later I got rid of a lot naturally.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Keep drinking water, it will go away eventually.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #7  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm trying taking some B12 supplements (I'm naturally low on B12), reducing my sugar intake, and eating at home more. Good news is that my weight is finally starting to come down again!
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote