Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/see ticker/135 (HW210-220)

Height: 5'5'' (technically 5'5.4'' but whos counting lol)

Default A hard decision...HELP

So ive been trying to lose weight for some time now and its been coming off slowly i was getting really close to my 3rd/4th goal and then the scale has started going up. I have been eating ON POINT, salads, fruits for dessert, im on WW so i know when im being bad and i have been good. I run 7-9 miles 4-5 times a week with strength training. Nothing has really changed if anything ive been challenging myself more. I dont know why the scale is going up. The only new thing in my life is this antidepressant i started 3 weeks ago (they take awhile to kick in). I mean as far as it working im not sure yet but i was willing to give it more time to decide but now that im thinking its the cause of my random weight gain im sitting here with my coffee trying to decide whether to stop taking it. Being on the pill motivated me to get in the gym more...now its causing increased weight lol

Im stuck between deciding to fix my weight or treat my depression :\

Last edited by curlyfroyo; 06-29-2013 at 09:09 AM.
curlyfroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

How recent is the strength training? I notice that when I start/increase my strength training, weight loss stalls or even goes up a little bit. It isn't that you are gaining fat. From your stats, it sounds like you do not have a lot of weight left to loose? When I get to those last 10 lbs, it is SO freaking hard to loose the weight, but continuing with healthy eating and working out still makes my body look better and better.
Sometimes you just have to put the scale away and look at how your body is responding and your clothes are fitting.
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Which antidepressant is it? Unfortunately, the SSRI's do tend to lead to weight gain.

Prozac tends to not do this, but since it is an older SSRI many docs don't use it.

Or you could switch to a non SSRI if that is what you are on....
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #4  

i have always been strength training bc i know thats what makes me feel better in the mirror before weight loss. I mean i FEEL like ive gained the bit of weight i gained when i look in the mirror (although its all in my mind). I know that weight loss stalls bc when i got close to this weight before it was months before i could break through but i stayed the same weight and then broke through i didnt start going up. I think im going to stop taking the pills bc it wasnt really working as well as i thought it would, and currently the weight gain is making me really down.

I dont have a long way to go to my goal but I kinda put 135 but wanted to try for 130 (new territory).

i thought the whole "last 10 lbs was hard" when you are attacking a higher goal over all (before when i lost 70 lbs the last 10 were hard) but now that i was relosing about 25 lbs i didnt think the last 10 was going to be as crazy (maybe the last 5) lol
Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #5  

it was wellbutryn which is not supposed to cause weight gain so idk...but everyones body reacts differently
Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Well, I would say at 142 and 5' 5" you are one hott mama

I guess my idea would be since you are so close to goal, then take 2-3 months and ignore the scale. Your body is obviously healthy now, and you feel really good and optimistic about what you are doing for your body, so don't make it another reason to stress out.

Truth is, even IF it were the medicine, I doubt you would logically sacrifice balancing your mental health in order to lose 7 pounds on the scale. If the medicines work, and 'number' that you don't quite get is the ultimate sacrifice, then realistically it's a very good trade off.

Why torture yourself, over what would/could/should/possibly happen if that is the case?

You spent a lot of will and effort to get where you are, and keeping yourself in that frame of mind is partially dependent upon cultivating a positive mental state to maintain that.

Let yourself have the summer to keep on keeping on, and allowing yourself to see where this all ends up. Becoming obsessed with a number and making that huge is defeating the purpose of trying to take the medicine in the first place.

Just my two cents
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Height and weight are fairly meaningless - especially in light of your exercise.

If you're in the low 20% body fat range - and want to get lower - weight watchers and exercise probably won't get it done. You're going to have to be meticulous about your calories and have a well designed exercise program to support your goals of getting learn.

If you're not in the low 20% body fat range - than you just need patience.

I have no idea how your medication may be affecting matters.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I would be very surprised if it was the Wellbutrin. I think your answer lies elsewhere...
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #9  

I heard that WW redid their plan so fruits and veggies are free? Is that true? If it is, nad you are eating fruits "freely" they should be counted as they are calories (veggies too, but fruits especially) and at your weight every caloire counts. If I am wrong about WW, sorry, just a thought though.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #10  

katydid i am up from 142 and going up since i started and idk if the pill is even working as far as mental health is concerned, it takes time to be therapeutic.

john p im not below 20% body fat, i was telling bmi stats bc thats the only accurate number i have off hand, i do not have calipers on hand

glamourgirl- yes fruits and veggies are free but im not engorging myself with them bc i am aware that they have alot of sugar and carbs. Im thinking if next week is the same trend with careful monitoring then im going to start counting my fruits and veggies as 1pp per serving
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraEdward View Post
Depression is a big reason of obesity; you should keep yourself calm. I think depression cannot be cured with drugs; It's your will power, which can bring you out of the depression. So first get rid out of the depression.

As someone who has been dealing with severe depression and anxiety her whole life, I can't help but to say something. I don't know if I've ever in my life heard of anybody successfully using pure will power to magically escape depression. You can use will power to make positive changes in your life that will hopefully manage depression, and the OP is already doing that, most apparently by adopting a healthy lifestyle and seeking medical help. It can be a really scary thing to try a medication for depression, what with the possible side effects that no doctor can seem to agree on, and it only makes it harder if there are people out there telling you that you should have been able to fix yourself with magic mind power, like it's so simple.

Anyway, rant over. I agree with most other posters' advice. I doubt Wellbutrin would be contributing to this weight gain, especially as often as it is used to combat the weight gain side effects of other antidepressants. It could be possible, and you might have gained some weight temporarily due to your body adjusting to the new medication. It's so hard to know when to throw in the towel on a new med.. I would advise you to at least wait it out a few more weeks. It seems really unlikely that you'll gain any significant amount of fat in that time. Good luck!

Last edited by peccavi; 07-01-2013 at 09:14 AM.
peccavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #12  

Thank you peccavi I definitely agree bc i have been trying to deal with my depression on my own for years now and will power has nothing to do with it. You can deal with stress but chemical imbalances, you can not.

I was gaining a lb a day and I was panicked that it wouldnt stop. But i think its what you said my body had to adjust to the med, I went up pretty high in weight but the 1 lb a day thing made me think it couldnt be real unless i was eating 1000's of calories over my regular (which i wasn't).

Reluctantly I kept taking the meds and for the last 2-3 days my scale has gone back to my normal number with no change in anything ive been doing at the time the scale was going up. Im hoping it was a blip in the road and now i can start heading down again.

Thank you everyone.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfroyo View Post

glamourgirl- yes fruits and veggies are free but im not engorging myself with them bc i am aware that they have alot of sugar and carbs. Im thinking if next week is the same trend with careful monitoring then im going to start counting my fruits and veggies as 1pp per serving
You don't have to be gorging yourself for it to effect your weightloss. One average size apple can run about 100 cals. It does depend on the size, of course so its give or take. At your weight that extra 100 cals does matter. I did weight watchers years ago, before fruits and veggies were free. I heard about the change and don't get how they can make them free. Is it all fruits or just certain ones? I don't know if telling me violates anything on this website... anyway, that why I decided not to do WW especially when I was close to goal before this baby.

I see that your problem seems to be working out anyway so thats good. And awesome job on running! I'm jealous! I was running before I got pregnant, and I miss it so much, and I'm anxious to get back, but now have a lot of weight to lose from this pregnancy..again (did this with every baby).

Have you thought about training for a half marathon?

That's one of my goals after losing this weight and getting back to running regularly.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW~330 CW~291.4 GW~285

Height: 5'4

The daily weight gain is why I can not mentally handle daily weighing. I tried. It almost broke and kept me in tears. I weigh in on Sunday. I know from when I was daily weighing that my weight goes up and then magically on Sunday I am where I should be.
JustB1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #15  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Katydid and peccavi. I’d give your meds some more time, even 3 weeks isn’t necessarily long enough for it to be working properly. Whatever you end up deciding to do, I’d make sure to talk to your doctor before taking yourself off of depression medication. If you really and truly feel that the medicine isn’t for you, just be sure to come off of it with medical supervision.

And I also agree with Glamor Girl. You don’t need to be eating excess amounts of fruits and veggies for it to add up! It’s so true, the less you have to lose the harder it is, and every bite counts!

Good luck, I hope you get it all sorted out.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote