Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #1  
Do you even lift, bro?

S/C/G: 125/109/110

Height: 5'3''

Default June Feathers' Chat

June already? No way! I absolutely love June, the summer is so beautiful and fun. Alright, gals. Quick check-in. I've been maintaining around 110 for a while now. I'm happy with it, no complaints. But it would be nice to be 105 for my birthday (June 26th). I'm thinking about kicking it into hardcore mode for a while.

Structured meal plans, anyone?

Mhm! I rarely create meal plans for myself unless I really want to dial in my focus and kick it into hardcore mode. It just makes everything easier. I don't even need to think about it. I need ya'll to help me keep myself accountable and follow my plan most days of the week. I've been alternating my workouts between full body lifts and running/biking. Considering throwing some TRX classes in this month to spice it up. Maintaining at 110 is easy but going below it is pretty difficult for me. I mean, it takes a lot of cardio and focus. But that's what this community is here to help with, right?

Let's all have an amazing summer and work hard to stay on track this month! Can't wait to hear what everyone else has planned for June! Any fun events or trips planned? Personally, I want to pick out an amazing little party dress and go out for my birthday with a friend or two.

*Edit* Derp. I also forgot to mention that I'm running the Ragnar Relay on June 7th and 8th. Looking forward to that...

Last edited by Aidanqm; 06-01-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Aidanqm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #2  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Aidan : That is a dedicated plan!! it is inspiring!!! You must be so excited for you relay!!! I don't know if you saw that on the other thread, but I checked out the website for the Ragnar Relay and it looks so awesome, totally something I'd like to do... if I had more running friends :P One of my bestfriend is also a runner, but we failed to drag other friends in long run like that, or other people stick to 5-10k's or do not run.

Hi ladies! Weight jumped to 135.4 this morning, which is annoying and frustrating. I did went a bit overboard during the last 2 days though, Friday I was constantly hungry during the afternoon and nibble on tons of random stuff and yesterday was a carb fest. My half is in less than a month, I need to get my sh*t under control, I don't want to run this race I've been training for 3 months dragging excess of 4-5 lbs is I keep up that way.

I was suppose to run a 18k today but I don't know what is the weather were you are, but here humidity is freaking SkY HIGH- it is freaking hot. Weather are supposed to be lower this week, so I swapped today's long run for my 8k interval I was supposed to do on Tuesday. We woke up at 7:00 this morning to head to to our run, the boyfriend and I, and it was HOT. It was a good mood to do a shorter run, I don't think I would have made it through a longer one.

I made popsicles last night with yogurt, raspberries and honey. They were not completely set last night, and I can't wait to try them out today

Have a good day ladies!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

oops, I just put this on May's chat, so I'm copying and pasting so it's in the right month!

hola, everyone!

I've been absent for a few days, I guess! I haven't been weighing at all, and I'm pretty sure it's not great, although probably not terrible either judging on my clothes.

I have been much more active the last few days (running/walking up to 10 miles total for the day between a morning run, various longish walks, etc) but I've been eating a lot, some healthy, some not so much. Well, I'm all thrown off, as I predicted, because my ex is here and we're having a great time and going out a lot (as friends haha), but I feel a little out of control with the food. I want to enjoy life and to enjoy the thrill of getting to go out and hang out with someone all the time after being so lonely all semester, so I've been just enjoying. The first day he was back, I didn't care about healthy eating, I just ate whatever. Yesterday I made an effort to make sure that while I was eating, I was choosing healthier choices. For example, we went to a Chinese buffet for lunch that he likes, and you all know I have a problem with Asian takeout, right? Still, I was able to mostly stick to the healthier stuff, like a grilled fish, steamed vegetables, hot and sour soup, fruit, etc. Still, I know I ate too much. Then around dinner, we ended up walking downtown where there are lots of outdoor restaurants and we ended up sharing a Greek salad (again, pretty healthy overall but still higher in calories) and some chips and salsa. All that wasn't SO bad, since in total we walked/ran about 10 miles yesterday throughout the day, but then later that night, M. (my ex) heated up a frozen pizza and the smell just killed me dead, and I ended up eating 3 slices and had a lot of wine. Ugh! I need to pull it together! Now maybe that the "honeymoon" phase of having a live-in companion is over, I can pull it together for the rest of the summer!

OH! But I did buy new running shoes yesterday! Aesics and they have pretty purple shoelaces, yay!

@novangel - I make a HUGE effort to make sure I poop before I go running, but that doesn't always happen, eep. I have had that urge while running before, no fun! I have more of a problem with peeing with that, though. That happened to me several times during my half marathon! And mmmm...Mexican food!

@bunnabear - oh, yeah, definitely my body doesn't appreciate the sodium either. *nods* Yeah, running isn't for everyone, but I wonder, have you ever built up gently, like through a program like couch to 5K? A lot of non-runners I know who are now runners got their start that way! And I use my own variation of it whenever I've been out of shape for awhile!

@krampus - yikes, storms! These storms have been crazy! We had some wild ones the other night, here, and next morning there were HUGE branches down all over my neighborhood! Yes, I can definitely see that the Asian takeout food is meant to addict us! I start thinking about it and I know it's NOT EVEN THAT GOOD and yet I'm drooling over it. Crazy! I prefer Indian and Thai to Chinese takeout, but man, I could rotate it all for life, if I could get away with it and not gain a thousand pounds!

@Leaves - yes, I've made my own Thai food. I actually got decent at the Pad Kee Mao (drunken noodles) but it still wasn't the same because I'm obviously not going to make it as disgustingly greasy and full of bad things as the takeout stuff is, lol! But I should DEFINITELY go back to that. I haven't been able to find the right noodles yet, though, even at an Asian grocery store I go to a lot! Go you at maintaining after going to one of those buffets!

@Hoopty - ugh, I'm just so sad for you guys that your'e going through all that with the housing. Too bad your f-i-l is so irresponsible. It sucks that all this is forcing you to make a hard decision so soon.

@Turbo - yay, at least since my ex has been here, I haven't had the urge to order Asian takeout, haha, but well, he and I are probably doing worse damage as I've written above. I WILL get this under control so that I can still enjoy this summer and yet not put my weight at risk! Wow, good luck for the half marathon coming up! And running in the heat/humidity is NO FUN. Here it's been unusually cool since the storms rolled through a few days ago - it is almost too chilly!

@Aid - wow, your plan! Okay, your plan is probably what I need to do now that the honeymoon of food craziness must come to an end for me.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

In response to the Chinese buffet restraint, I think it was mainly due to a lack of vegetarian dishes and that the ice cream machine was broken. Not willpower

Had a fabulous weigh in of 141 yesterday, but pretty much blew it this evening. We visited the BF's parents and had lunch and dinner with them, but it was hardly any food! Lunch was a small portion of asparagus lasagne with lettuce and dinner was a slice of wholemeal toast, 1 can of baked beans shared between the four of us and a poached egg each. I was so ravenous when I came home that I had cheese on toast and then peanut butter on another bit of toast too. Feel much happier for it though, I was miserable from hunger when I got back!

Monday tomorrow, so back on track. Ready to see the 130s
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #5  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Aidan Wow, you are not foolin' around! Glad you are so motivated and have a relay to look forward to!

Turbo The weather here is driving me crazy, too! Major temperature changes and mostly grey/overcast. It's stretched on forever. I hope it gets better for you!

Btw, the popsicles sound so good! Yum...

Olehcat I can't "diet" to save my life when I have friends around and we're out to eat! It's so much harder, isn't it? It sounds like you had a good time, though! And you're staying active, which will definitely help. Congrats on the new shoes -- they sound cute.

Leaves Sorry about tonight...it's totally understandable. I hope we both get into the 130's *soon*!

I have not weighed in for several days...have been making pretty good food choices, though, so I think I am maintaining (if not losing a tiny bit). I would love to see 139! Tonight is normally my "cheat" meal, so hopefully that will be enjoyable, but not too over the top, cause I did go out with a friend for Indian food yesterday.

I hope you're all doing great. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by nineteen; 06-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #6  
Maintainer

I ended up eating at home tonight...no cheat, which I suppose is better.

I did whip this dessert up, and really liked it!

http://heartmindandseoul.com/peanut-...ogurt-dessert/
Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #7  
Do you even lift, bro?

Check-in: Followed my meal plan today. My snack was (probably a little bit more than...) 2T of cranberry coconut peanut butter. Putting my calorie total today at around 1,600. For exercise, I did 120 minutes of walking (holy balls!), ride the drive bike event, and also a short full body lift. I stayed off the scale today because I'm ragging and super bloated. Blargh! Water retention is difficult to deal with. But I'm super happy about how today went.

I went out to tea with a good friend and had a wonderful pot of oolong "phoenix bird" tea. Got to walk my dog twice today and the weather was beautiful. Ride the Drive bike event was awesome! It's an event where some of the main downtown roads are closed and turned into one big bikes-only loop. There are vendors, food stands, activities, and biking information along the loop. It was a ton of fun. Great day all-around!

---

@ Turbo; Thanks, girl! Meal plans keep my focused for I enjoy using them in the short term. And yeah, I'm really excited for the Ragnar. Three of my friends are on my team! If you want to join a Ragnar team, check for any running groups in your area. Often times, running clubs and groups will sponsor and create Ragnar teams. ... If you are constantly hungry, I'd suggest taking your calorie intake up a bit. OR, stuff your face full of veggies. It works for me. Like, I eat an ungodly amount of veggies when I need to keep my calories low. It helps me keep my sanity and keeps me full. Broccoli, baby carrots, red pepper, and yellow squash are my go-to veggies.

@olehcat; Nice to see that you are still here! I was AWOL for a while and I'm glad to see members that I remember on the forum. Best tip that I can give to you: let it go. Even if you haven't been eating healthy lately, just forgive yourself and move on. That's all you can do. And you'll feel so much better mentally if you can take a deep breath and just focus on moving forward. Remember that eating food isn't a crime! Even eating a lot of it. Hehe ... Feel free to use my plan, or make something similar of your own. The one up there is 1,500 calories per day with approximately 50 fat/150 carbs/130+ protein. I always suggest basing any meal plan around your favorite healthy foods. The more you enjoy your diet, the easier it will be to follow. There are a ton of healthy foods out there ... the ones I used for my meal plan are just my favorites.

@nineteen;
Greek yogurt is amazing, isn't it! It's so versatile and healthy. I love mixing Fage 2% plain greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder on occasion. That Greek yogurt dessert recipe you found looks awesome. I wonder if it would taste as good with almond butter? Here's another really neat Greek yogurt recipe that I found. Probably a bit more indulgent but everything in moderation, right?
Greek Yogurt-White chocolate & Strawberry truffles ... there is also this slightly crazier truffle recipe but it kind of looks awesome! Mashed Potato Truffles! I wonder if sweet potatoes would work?

Last edited by Aidanqm; 06-02-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Thanks nineteen, fingers crossed for you too!

Aidan- Those truffle recipes look so so good! It's my mum's birthday coming up soon, I may have to try them out on her Cranberry coconut peanut butter sounds intriguing, does it come like that or did you make it yourself?

-----
Still around 141/142 this morning (I have crappy scales) so not too unhappy, but would love to be seeing some movement soon. Went into town today looking for some summer sandals, but the thing I have in mind just doesn't seem to exist! I wanted some that were black, not wide fitting, not so narrow and tight that you can't get your foot into them and with more sole than just what seems like a thin piece of card! Things that fall under that umbrella tend to be aimed more towards people my grandma's age (!) or really really expensive In the end I came away with these: http://tinyurl.com/mztuk27 which aren't completely perfect but ticked most boxes and were affordable.

Looking forward to dropping the last few pounds and going on a summer shopping spree!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #9  
Maintainer

Aidan I actually used almond butter, too, because it's what I had on hand. I didn't follow the recipe exactly. It was still great!

Leaves Sorry you didn't find what you were looking for...shoe shopping in general tends to drive me crazy!

I do have some great news today....I hit 139!!!!! I'm so happy! I was even thinking when I woke up today that I really do feel thinner...my stomach, where I store a lot of my fat, is slimming down. I'm so excited to be back in the 130's!

Last edited by nineteen; 06-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #10  
Maintainer

I also changed my goal weight today to 132. (Before it was 127). 127 was a number I decided on in my early 20's, but now that I'm in my mid 20's, I think it may be unrealistic. I would be thrilled to be back at 132!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #11  
Breathing.

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello girls,

Just a quick check-in. We booked our flights and we'll be back in Germany on Saturday. This is the most stressful time, ever. My eating has been totally off track. I had my first meal at 5pm today because I had to take care of so much shizzz. Is it bad that I only wanna eat donuts and cakes and ice cream until we leave because we don't have all that super delicious American stuff over there? Gah.
I have to cancel my gym membership tomorrow. $58 buy-out fee, seriously? Double gah.

Will be back with personals whenever my head is not about to explode.
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #12  
Do you even lift, bro?

@Leaves; The cranberry coconut peanut butter is from a company called Yumbutter. They churn out small home-style batches of nut butter every week so that each jar is super fresh. I love their almond butter and they also have a dark chocolate almond butter that is awesome. I’m kind of a nut butter freak.

@nineteen; that’s awesome. I love almond butter even more than peanut butter. Have you ever tried pecan or hazelnut butter? Both are amazing… And congrats on getting back into the 130’s!

@Hoopty; I hope that you have a safe flight back to Germany. Don’t stress over what you can’t control. Focus on what you do have control over: following good habits. Sit down and plan ahead so that you are prepared to take some healthy foods with you when you travel. There are a lot of good options that can be easily packed and stored in a cooler or a backpack: organic meat sticks, canned tuna, chicken, sardines, or oysters. Bananas, apples, almonds, individual cups of plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, a zip lock baggie of baby carrots, cut up celery and peppers. Hard boiled eggs! There are plenty of healthy travel-friendly foods out there.

---

Check In: Good morning, Feathers! Yesterday was a crazy day for me. I did so much exercise! Because of how much exercise I did, I had to eat more than 1,500 calories. Otherwise, I would have been starving myself and that wouldn't be good. Yesterday, I biked over 25 miles outdoors, did a 45 minute TRX class and a 35 minute indoor spin class! I also took my dog for a 30 minute walk. Whew. I felt really good about yesterday, even though I had to eat more than my meal plan called for. I want to be flexible and honest with myself. And on days when I do a ton of exercise, I know that I should be eating more. Sports performance demands fuel!

At the same time, I'm having a difficult time reconciling my fat loss goals with my love for exercise. Cycling, weight lifting, and group exercise classes demand a certain base level of calories and body fat! Being ultra lean for an aesthetic purpose isn't conducive to sports performance. My best bet to reaching 105 is to only do a light to moderate amount of cardio followed by a more restrictive eating plan. If I want to continue to do a crazy amount of exercise (and, I'm a bike commuter as well), then I need to be eating more. It's a hard toss up.

Sports performance vs. aesthetic goals. Does anyone else struggle with this problem?

There is an interesting article series by my favorite exercise scientist, Lyle McDonald that talks about the topic of too much cardio on a lowered calorie exercise plan. A lot of folks think that doing as much cardio as possible on a diet is a good thing. The reality is that is can actually slow down and hurt fat loss, and lead to binge eating:
I understand the reality of this problem. Being super thin and dieting (lowered calorie amount) will always lead to a decrease in sports performance. And I can't expect to keep the same amount of high activity level while being at a lower than normal body fat level ..for very long.

Anyway, enough of that. So, I exercised a ton yesterday and ate much more than my meal planned called for because of it. I'm happy that I got out and had fun but it's not helping my fat loss goal any.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Aidan - YES I IDENTIFY WITH THAT SO MUCH. I don't even exercise "a lot" - I lift not super strenuously (2-3 compound lifts, couple accessories, 3 x 8 or 5 x 5) and run 4 miles max a couple times a week but I find if I'm eating at a deficit I have no. energy. whatsoever. to even do those things. And I'm not lean at all, I would estimate 25% body fat or more. T__T
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #14  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

olehcat : At least you were most active, despite eating maybe a bit too much. It is always hard to stay on track and make the good decisions while hanging with someone who doesn't have to care about what they are eating. Great news on the new shoes! I know when you get shoes, you can't look at the fact if they are pretty or not, they just have to feel right... but I just love when my shoes are pretty LOL

Leaves : Congrats on the low WI Asparagus lasagna? It sounds AWESOME! Was it with some kind of white sauce? I love your new sandals, by the way!

nineteen : the popsicles were AWESOME! And with only fat free yogurt, raspberries and honey, they were like 65 cal each. Major WIN. I love throwing PB in my yogurt! But I need to remember to try this chocolate chips addition too!

Aidanqm : Arrrrgh, I feel you SO BAD about the eating/training duo thing. Actually, last month, I had to increase a lot my calories, I kept going with a big deficit, as I wanted to shed the last few pounds, but while training 5x/week... but I was alwayyyyys tired and basic 5k run were starting to feel horrible. I think losing weight while doing a bit of cardio is manageable and trying to lose weight while doing intense training are 2 complete different things.

hoopty : Ahhh. Keep your head up girl. *hugs*

krampus : I would really NOT consider you as someone who is not lean Hope you enjoyed your weekend in Montréal!

Hi! My weight is still back at 134.6, which is annoying, as it is above my some kind of red line. It's been there 2 days, bleh. If I am still up by Friday, I'll change my plan a bit but I'm not panicking.

Did my 18k training run this morning that I was supposed to do last Sunday. It was cloudy and really cool outside. It was so much fun without sweating my life away that I did not even mind the wind.

Nothing much to report. Doing boxes, cleaning, happy stuff like that :P

Have a nice day ladies!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #15  
Breathing.

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello girls,

My parents know we're coming back and my Mom is uber-excited! She already announced that we're going to a Mongolian restaurant (BUFFET!) as soon as they pick us up from the airport. I think I'm gonna enjoy the weekend with all the foods that we're gonna be given and set Monday as my "I-seriously-need-to-start-watching-my-calories"-day. Also, I gotta get a scale. The one we have at home sucks.
I didn't know that you could actually request a special meal on the airline's website. How cool is that? Got the choice between: (from the website)

- Vegan Vegetarian
- Asian Vegetarian (Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.)
- Lacto Ovo Vegetarian (Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs etc.)
- Muslim (Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.)
- Hindu (Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork, it is not a meatless meal.)
- Kosher

Pretty cool! I think I'm gonna go for Asian Vegetarian.

Aidanqm - Thanks girl! I plan on bringing whatever we have left here so I don't have to throw it all away. I'm probably gonna make a smoothie (got lots of baby spinach and bananas!) and maybe some steamed broccoli. I hear you on the exercising vs. calories! Interesting articles as well.

TurboMammoth - MOVING SUCKS!

Well, I'm gonna start to go through our closet to see what I'm leaving here. I can' believe we're gonna be in Germany in a couple of days
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote