General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/150/138

Height: 5' 2.5"

Default A Lightbulb Moment - eating & drinking like a man!

This may sound a bit weird, but I just had an a-ha moment...not that it didn't go through my mind before, but it sorta hit home today. I eat and drink like a man. When my husband and I sit down to dinner, my plate has as much food on it as his; and he outweighs me by 60 pounds. When we share a bottle of wine, I match him drink for drink. Really, I am drinking more than him, pound for pound of body weight. No darn wonder I feel worse in the morning than him after a night on the town! I'm going to keep this thought in my mind from now on and keep reminding myself that I'm not a man.

My new mantra: I'm not a man, I'm not a man, I'm not a man......
Miss Fitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Love this! that is how I gained all my weight to begin with.. when I got married 15 years ago I was a slim size 2/4 and very very happy with my body. Within 8 months of marriage I shot up 40 lbs then came kids and life and blah blah blah.. well you know the drill, the diet/weight roller coaster began and I've been struggling for 15 years. I was doing the same thing, this was the first time I lived with anyone and I would make him dinner etc and he'd make his plate and I'd mirror his, he'd eat snacks, I'd join him, he'd drink, I'd drink. same scenario.. he was a big guy already so I was just gorging my poor little body and it showed. I'm now going back to eating what is right for ME, after losing 45 lbs on a very strict low calorie plan I'm now losing my last 15 lbs the nice and slow way, the intuitive eating way so I can re-learn how to eat like a small woman again lol
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #3  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

Interesting! Now that I think the same happened to me, from the moment I came to live with my BF I gained 22 lbs, and I was not only eating like him but more than him. At least my BF is not very driven to sweets like me, so he eats a big plate and a small dessert. On the other hand I mimic his plate but have the dessert I like, which is more than double of his... no wonder I gained so much so quickly!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm right there with ya! I gained 20 pounds from when I met my husband until a bit earlier this year. Yikes. I'm a woman...I'm a woman ... I'm a woman to push the positiveness I seriously think I could out-eat him on pizza!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #5  

I remember reading somewhere about a woman who lost a bunch of weight likened herself to a little sports car rather than a big truck. Another good thought to keep in mind. We are little sports cars, not big trucks like our husbands are.
Yes, the snacking is also a problem. My husband is eating chips/cheese and crackers while watching TV in the evening, so what do I do even though I'm not hungry in the least? Have some. What a dumb thing to do. Another dumb thing I do is eat more food than I need at dinner in order not to offend someone. Even if that someone is me. I cooked the dinner. It doesn't make any sense. I think I need to prove that I didn't cook to much food for dinner; and that I'm not wasting food; in turn I'm not buying too many groceries and wasting money. Which in fact, I am.
Yup, there's lots to work on here!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

miss fitt i live in a family of 5 and then moved away and used to end up cooking massive quantities for just me... and guess what? i ate these massive quantities because the food was just there. the thing that helped was just serving myself a small portion and keeping a bigger portion for myself for lunch the following day - it helped to save so much money as well!
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #7  

Good plan, fat to fab....I think I just need to be more mindful of what I'm doing. Putting less on my plate and cooking a little less to begin with. If I make lasagna or chili, I just freeze the rest. But, with something like an Asian Chicken Salad (which I made yesterday) it needs to be eaten fairly soon. I made wayyyyyy too much for two people, I'll be the one eating the most of it. My husband is picky that way - he doesn't like the same thing two days in a row. Me, on the other hand will eat three or four times before I finally throw it out. (I might add the recipe isn't a diet-friendly one.)
My reasoning has always been "it's better to cook to much than not enough" especially if company is coming for dinner. It's hard to get out of that mindset.....
Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #8  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Must be a common thing, eating the same amount as your man. Been there done that, too.

Even now knowing I shouldn't eat what he eats, when he makes burgers (a treat for us) we both have two, after this last treat I said to myself, I have to tell him to only make me one, I'm truly satisfied, but if the other one's there I feel compelled to eat it!

I'm not a man...I'm not a man...lol

best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

*raises hand*

Oh yeah, I did the same thing. I was 170 when I met my boyfriend. My meals consisted of veggies and lean protein. When we went out it was pizza and burgers. I gained weight, he didn't, but he also works a very laborious job and I sit behind a desk all day.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/149/125

Height: 5'6"

When I met my boyfriend I was 125lbs, and loved my body. I managed to stay that weight for almost a year, and then I gained 40lbs very quickly.
ArtThistle is offline   Reply With Quote