Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184 /179/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Dr. Oz grapefruit drink

I am trying since starting yesterday this Grapefruit Diet drink thing that is supposed to rev up your metabolism. The nice thing is it's easy and I have noticed it stopping my binging. Something about the flavor. You drink it before a meal and it's 1 cup grapefruit juice, 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinigar and 1 teaspoon honey. It's fresh and tart, something about it.... But I find myself feeling healthier and eatting better. What are your thoughts?
clownfish13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #2  

I might give it a try. I know citrus are generally a good option when dieting because they tickle your taste buds so that you won't get hungry for a while after having some. Isn't that drink a bit to irritating for the stomach though? The fruit acid, plus the apple cider vinegar? Have you had any problems, belly aches?
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #3  

Don't drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit if you're taking statin medication (like lipitor) for high cholesteral...it renders the meds useless!
2annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2annabelle View Post
Don't drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit if you're taking statin medication (like lipitor) for high cholesteral...it renders the meds useless!

Actually the opposite is true. Grapefruit juice increasese the amount of medication that is absorbed, and in large enough amounts (of the grapefruit that is) can cause a toxic "overdose" reaction.

Small amounts though aren't generally considered harmful (ask your doctor though as your health issues and the dose and type of drug you're on can affect how much grapefruit is safe).

When I was prescribed a statin, my med had a warning label that said "do not decrease or increase the amount of grapefruit in your diet before consulting with your doctor," so I of course asked my doctor what that meant.

Apparently some doctors will (or used to) actually prescribe a much smaller dose of the medication and then advise their patients to take the med with grapefruit juice.

I asked my doctor what was safe for me, and he said that since I take my statin at night, I could have a grapefruit or a small glass of grapefruit juice for breakfast or lunch every day if I wanted. To be safe though, I'll have grapefruit (but never juice, but that's just a personal preference) at most a couple times a week.

That doesn't mean it's safe for everyone though, so if you're on any meds that interact with grapefruit (you can find lists online) make sure you ask your doctor for specific instructions.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-18-2012 at 01:24 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha22 View Post
I might give it a try. I know citrus are generally a good option when dieting because they tickle your taste buds so that you won't get hungry for a while after having some. Isn't that drink a bit to irritating for the stomach though? The fruit acid, plus the apple cider vinegar? Have you had any problems, belly aches?
So far so good. It is definately tickling the taste buds!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm curious about this too -- might try it.
Elizabeth779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #7  

I can't tell if it is working but it makes me want to eat better, I think it's the taste. Who knows how you tell if you "Rev up your metabolism" But I guess I will see if there is a weight loss change at my weigh in on Wednesday. The question is, it is adding a lot of calories, around 500 per day which for my 1200 plan is a TON. I haven't been counting it or I wouldn't eat anything. Hmmm. It will definately be interesting to see how it goes but I did go a bit off plan over the weekend.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

the combination of acv and grapefruit increase insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar. I used to sip on acv and honey water when I was doing my eat-stop-eat fasting program.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #9  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I made this drink last night and it was REALLY good!

I used the juice of one half of a grapefruit, 1 1/2 tsp of ACV, and 1/2 tsp of manuka honey. I used a lot of ice and poured it into a cocktail glass and I cut up small pieces of fruit. I'm going to try crushing some ice next time.

TMI - It made me do the number one all night because I'm down another pound. lol
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #10  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

On those mornings when I have followed the vinegar/grapefruit routine, I notice I can go 6 or more hours between a meal. What I do is drink a full glass of water with 2 teaspoons of ACV. This is followed by 1 cup of grapefruit juice and then a high protein breakfast (usually eggs cooked in coconut oil or olive oil) with veggies and then I fold it all into a La Tortilla Low Carb wrap (80 cals, 18g carb, 8g protein, 12g fiber). I also have coffee. The next/last meal for me is usually later in the evening. I didn't realize I was following the ACV/grapefruit vinegar approach by Dr Oz. I just need to mix the ingredients up and add the honey.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #11  
Maintaining since 2013

That's really interesting your said how you can go longer without eating while drinking vinegar/grapefruit. I too had this experience when I had it for a late morning snack the other day. I had to skip my second snack of the day and even force myself to eat dinner and I didn't like that feeling.

For me it really does its magic overnight so I'm probably going to continue doing that once in a while.

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #12  

Default Question about the grapefruit drink

I just made this for the 1st time and it was delicious. Actually it was too good. Do you know if there are any specifics as to exactly what kind of grapefruit juice to use? I used a light grapefruit juice because I follow the weight watchers food plan and try not to drink my calories, but it was still so sweet and yummy. I am also a sugar addict and try to watch that as well. Are you supposed to use unsweetened juice? Are there any specifics on the apple cider vinegar? I've read that the raw, unfiltered, is the best to use. I just used regular apple cider vinegar. If anyone knows any of these details, thank you!
rose1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #13  
Maintaining since 2013

Hi Rose -

I still drink this concotion once in a while. I only use fresh grapefruit juice (sorry I couldn't be of any help with this.)

For the apple cider vinegar I use the unfiltered/organic kind the the "mother" present. The grocery store kind has a lot of the good properties removed.

Hopefully someone else can answer your grapefruit question.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #14  
Working it

Height: 5'10"

Smile New here

I've been hearing ALOT about the grapefruit, vinegar, honey drink. Has anyone seen a significant difference since using it?
Begiggled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #15  

Location: Houston, Tx, but Missouri in the summer on the lake.

S/C/G: 150/148/125

Height: 5' 2"

My sister would drink before every meal a cup of Simply Grapefruit, 2 tbsp of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, & a Tsp of local honey. She is so skinny, in fact was too skinny. She finally had to quit drinking it, she thought it sped up her metabolism to much. You have to really committed to having it before every meal. Not sure I could do it, but I was super envious of her weight loss. I will say that I don't remember her eating 3 meals a day with it.
Mama Whitty is offline   Reply With Quote