Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #1  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

Default TTC: what you wish you had done/known beforehand

Hey guys,

Finally got the go ahead from my doctor to start trying this whole having a baby thing. I know I'm still heavy, however, I'm also about to turn 32, so it's been a battle between weight and age.

I wanted to know what you guys wish you had done during the trying to conceive period to get ready for pregnancy. Especially if you were heavier.

I feel a little antsy like I should be doing more to prepare than taking a prenatal.

My husband says I'm being goofy and need to try to stop being so micromanage-y about th process. I can't help it. I really like lists.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #2  

Height: 5'0"

LOL, well, I agree with your hubby. Taking a prenatal and continuing to try to take good care of yourself with a healthy diet and exercise are the best things you can do. In my experience, conception is not a process that be can rushed or put into our own personal timeframes. When it happens, it happens.

BTW, I've heard that having sex every other day instead of every day is usually the best way to go when trying to conceive.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Exercise.
I had one pregnancy that was tough because I wasn't in shape to begin with. By about month 6, I couldn't even walk around the block...it was horrible. (plus your hips get loose)
My last pregnancy was much better and I was able to stay active throughout...and have my smallest baby.
Goodluck!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #4  
Looking for Zen

The only exercise I currently do is yoga a couple times a week and goofing off swimming/biking along with the rare game of racquetball.

I've been thinking about adding something for core and maybe some walking.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #5  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Walking would be a great start! I wish I had been in better shape before/during my pregnancy, I wasn't very mobile by the end and that was hard.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 169/pregnant/125

Height: 5'0

This is my third pregnancy and the first and third trimesters are the hardest, for me. The first I get so sick and wishy-washy that I end up just slothing around, and the last trimester is filled with discomfort and slothing around. I'm now in my second trimester (the good one!) and am back to the gym daily trying to regain some fitness that I lost during the first few months. So my advice is to just keep getting yourself strong, because you never know how active you'll be when pregnant.
virginiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #7  

Definitely gets into a walking or even jogging program! I did not do that with my first two, and I was one that had a very difficult time walking around the block towards the end as someone else said.

Before this baby, I was running for about a year and a half. I even stopped about 4-5 months before getting pregnant with this baby (I had 2 losses and got depressed) I even gained some weight back, AND even spent the first trimester SICK, and barely left the couch...and still I am in better shape with this pregnancy...my weight gain has been the same (ugh) but I got for walks several times a week, and I feel good doing it.

I also wish I had known how much exercise helps the joint pain!! I spent the last few weeks of my first two pregnancies in horrible joint paint, mostly hips. I would get so stiff at night I was nearly in tears. I found out this time around a long walk shortly before bed helps me have less (and even none at times) hip pain during the night.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #8  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Jilu I am right there with you! I got the okay to go ahead and TTC and my husband and I are super excited, however there is still the issue with weight. I have been bouncing back between 243-252 the past few weeks so I need to develop a good routine that I can stick with to lose some of the excess weight in the meantime until I get pregnant, and then stick with a good exercise program throughout pregnancy.

I definitely suggest taking a prenatal now, that is what I am doing too. And of course play around with different types of workouts until you find something you really enjoy and stick with it! When you do get pregnant, you can speak with your doctor about carrying on a specific exercise program too. I am hoping to be able to walk/jog possibly and of course do some yoga and maybe even baby friendly aerobics.

Good luck and best wishes on your TTC journey!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #9  
Looking for Zen

I am kind of excited (and by kind of, I mean ridiculously). We got to the point where we (me/husband/doctor) were constantly waffling between weight and age. I know women older than me have babies all the time (I'm the oldest of 4 and mom had me at 32), but there are risks. And we want a big family, so that clock is ticking.

My doc wanted us to wait until I hit 10% down to start really trying because I don't always ovulate every month and we wanted to see if that helped regulate things a little better.

I started taking just a folic acid supplement about three months ago and started a prenatal this month to make sure everything's at the appropriate level before starting.

I've started back up lap swimming and attempting to walk when it's not a million degrees outside. I may just suck it up and go join Planet Fitness so I can get on the treadmill and walk away from the sun that likes to burn me and oppressive MS Gulf Coast heat/humidity.

Excited to see you're on the TTC train too! Most of my friends are choosing not to have children so there aren't a lot of people to share things with.

Last edited by Jilu; 06-28-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Hi Jilu I'm in the same boat - 31 and have weight to lose but haven't had my first yet...my doctor didn't seem concerned at all, I guess because I'm ovulating, but after doing some research I started to feel I should lose some weight first, so I'm just trying to determine how much/when will be the right time...
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote