Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat June 24 - 30

We are so into summer around here - at last - with dinner on the patio in the cool evening. We have one male Robin squawking up a storm, presumably because he's the only bachelor left with the pairing up all done. Beginning to make a pest of himself; spring was when this was supposed to happen.

I've been distracted with some chores with deadlines lately and skimping on my exercise. It's not that I couldn't make the time, it's just easy to become hyper focused on pending doom if things don't get done before a deadline.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good morning!

Last week of June and I think summer's finally hit Toronto - . DH and I went for a walk, after attending my father's 90th birthday celebration yesterday, and it was HOT ; shorts, tank top, and sweating hot.

I realized how anxious this all had been making me after it was done. Nothing major happened (although my dad did thank my cousin for being "the only one" who still attended to him and ignored me) and now I don't really need to see my dad ever again (unless he lives to 95, which is not really a possibility given his physical deterioration).

I am being as mean as he is in this post. But at least I attended the celebration, took along a really good chocolate raspberry truffle cake, and gave my dad a photo of him and his former girlfriend that had been in his bedroom at the family home. DONE!

I didn't eat everything in the house when we came home either (see above). All that nervous energy that I expended in getting through the day left me feeling quite depleted. And the sugar crash from the cake was quite intense. I had several bottles of water and a bowl of semi-frozen cherries and called it a night.

I finally feel like I can enjoy summer and all that comes with it. First order of business is to get some beginner spanish and french instruction DVD's, which DH ordered from our public library system yesterday.

DH and I need to do something in the evening other than watching absolute dreck and reruns on TV. He kept after me about learning another language so I've decided to take him up on it. Maybe this will snap him out of his slump too.

Good week everyone!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hello Maintainers,

Had a sun-soaked weekend paddling canoes down the Delaware River from PA to NJ with BF and his friends and a dozen of their friends. Excellent times. I did not tip the canoe and I ate a lot but all the paddling and sun seemed to have magically made all that food disappear. I will not question this decision by Mother Nature.

My sciatic pain is not getting better. I need to schedule an orthopedic dr appointment as well as figure out moving in a month and my first fillings appointment on July 8. I hate this!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #4  

The internet can be quite creepy. I bought a rug on eBay Thursday and I keep seeing ads on this site for rugs from a site I looked at but didn't buy from. I also only looked at t-shirts on a site I frequently buy from and now I'm getting their ads here too.

Interesting also that they call the things helping link users and marketing sites tracking "cookies".

Dagmar
Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #5  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Hi maintainers! We are in the home stretch of swim team now. I am looking forward to getting back into my normal routine of walking the dog early and then going to the gym. I will let the kids sleep as late as they want ... Too bad DS pops up around 6:15 every day. :-) At least he's not grumpy in the morning.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
The internet can be quite creepy. I bought a rug on eBay Thursday and I keep seeing ads on this site for rugs from a site I looked at but didn't buy from. I also only looked at t-shirts on a site I frequently buy from and now I'm getting their ads here too.

Interesting also that they call the things helping link users and marketing sites tracking "cookies".

Dagmar
I recently ordered some cat food from Chewy. On another forum I belong to, all the ads are for Chewy or for cruises (because I often go to Holland America to review my booking for next month). Yep, they're cookies and they're spooky!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, since I was furnishing my apartment about this time last year, I was also pursued by advertisements for many things that I'd already bought and did not intend to buy again for some time. I, too, bought a rug, and once I had it, was done utterly with rug-buying. I mean, they're not like clothes, where you don't want to wear the same shirt every day. You buy a rug, it lies on the floor. That's the end. But I kept getting rug ads served up to me months later. After I didn't click on any of them for months & months, they finally went away. But for a time it was like a persistent salesman constantly pressing his face to my window or showing up on my doorstep. This is the price of all the free info or services we get on the Internet/
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Re: Ads. My Ds had an even eerier uxperience, he was at Target picked up a few things . looked at themn but didn't buy them, now he is getting ads re : those items on his computer,. Another friend had a similar experience only his visit was to Sports Authority, now he is getting the ads on his computer.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Re: Ads. My Ds had an even eerier uxperience, he was at Target picked up a few things . looked at themn but didn't buy them, now he is getting ads re : those items on his computer,. Another friend had a similar experience only his visit was to Sports Authority, now he is getting the ads on his computer.
Did he enter a "contest" or "free draw" while he was there? DH pointed out the marketing ploy masquerading as a contest to me when I intended to fill out a ballot @ the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Does he have a cell and was it on? did he text or make calls while at the store? I get the feeling there are a lot of things in people's phones that can be used by others (mostly for marketing).

And I have absolutely no proof of this nor do I spend nights tossing and turning worrying about it - I don't have any paranoid fantasies about people tracking me. My life is far too BORING! for that.

I don't have a fancy phone because I don't have anyone to call and I don't generally need to use the net @ the dog park.

Dagmar
Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hope your pain improves Krampus-- did you make an appt for the doctor?

Dagmar-- I bet it seems like your dad will live forever. Kudos for hanging in there!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #11  

Took a week but I found out why DH is is such a bad mood (and passing it on). Troubles with his boss. And he got a personal, scathing (according to him) attack and she said she should fire everyone.

DH has been dealing with this woman for 15 years, on and off. He knows all this BS comes down the pipe all the time so why is he so shocked and upset by it ?

We had the suck it up, get in shape, diet, and find a new job conversation again. SIGH.

I'm going to be out in the rain all day but I'm determined to get DH out for a small walk this evening. I have to find the energy to drag him out 3x per week until his own body starts demanding it. MOVE!

That's the problem with living with someone for so long. We can both anticipate all the familiar patterns and our reactions may not always be so sympathetic.

Looooooong weekend ahead I guess.

Dagmar of the
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Dagmar, hang in there :\ It's so frustrating when those you care about do nothing to improve their own health!

I have an appt with a Real Sports Doctor for next Monday. I have a filling that same afternoon at the dentist X(
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #13  

Apparently DH's long weekend is going to consist of drinking bourbon, eating chips, ice cream, etc. and talking very LOUDLY. Good thing I have lots to do outside the house. And I guess I'll take myself to a couple of movies and make a couple of sympathetic noises when he complains about how physically bad he feels.

Interesting how abusing his body is still some kind of celebration for DH.

Dagmar
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I had several bottles of water and a bowl of semi-frozen cherries and called it a night.

Dagmar
Semi-frozen cherries. Hmmm, that sounds good! i tried the frozen grape thing and wasn't impressed.

i'm whining here because Washington state is in a sizzler now and getting hotter by the minute. Can't work out in weather like this with my CFS/Fibro so i'm going to be WHINING!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm in need of some frozen/semi-frozen fruit. It is currently 117 degrees with a prediction of 120 tomorrow and Sunday. The AC at the office had a hard time today--set at 77 and it kept running and running and was at 82 when I left.

I got home and now have no desire to cook for dinner. Don't really want to go out in the heat either. That leaves pizza (or some other disgusting delivery food). I'm trying to convince myself to do something myself but it's just too hot to cook and I'm all out of fresh vegetables for a salad.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote