Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #1  
Crimson

S/C/G: HW:150, SW:139, CW:120, GW:120

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Sorta IE: what not to do

So, I've recently gained about 2lbs or so back, which isn't bad, since it puts me precisely at 54kg/119lbs, which is about where I want to maintain. But the day before yesterday, for some reason, the scale escalated and showed a weight about 5lbs above that. I knew I had been laxer with my eating, but I didn't expect to gain that much. So - instead of eating a little more like I used to during the losing phase the next day, I decided since this was a red-line-crossing, I needed to really get my stuff together. Which basically meant: screw being reasonable, I'm just not going to eat for the day. So I did. And what happens today, of course? Major rebound. I'm hungry, so hungry. Not so much during the day, but now that it's dinner time, I just chowed down something like 2 cups of cashews, and bread with cheese, and turkey breast. I wouldn't quite call it a binge as it wasn't completely out-of-control, but just this "I'm still hungry, how can I still be hungry?"-anxious eating behavior, which I don't welcome very much either. By now, I'm sure I've more than made up for the calories I didn't ingest yesterday.

So, lesson learned (again): no more extreme measures.

Do you guys have stories about hard-learned lessons on how much you can "push through it"?

(I think I really should buy that Intuitive Eating book. But I'm not ready to say goodbye to the scale yet. And I'm scared that I must do that. It seems like a little sacrifice for making peace with food and my body in return, ... just not there yet.)

Last edited by alizarin; 06-23-2013 at 01:17 AM.
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

ive tried the intermittent fasting and I reallyyyyy wish I could do it....and I admire the ones who are successful at that....but i'm the same way...I can technically do it but then when I start eating, it's like I opened up the bottomless pit and remain starving no matter how much I eat or how slow I eat....and then I also remain extra-hungry the next day

I had that happen just yesterday, in fact, where I was so busy at work that I barely ate (I didn't FAIL to eat, just ate very little) for the entire day til 4 p.m. and then struggled for the rest of the day with not binging
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #3  
Crimson

Exactly that, alaskanlaughter!

It's actually been eye-opening the way you put it - I don't think any of the fasting type situations are for me - only slow and steady works to prevent this kind of hunger. For me that's a lesson I haven't quite internalized (obviously ), but I really need to stop myself sometimes from thinking that "less is better" - it's not. Moderation is better. So, perhaps it's a good thing that we get that kind of rebound effect - we're just getting better learning signals from our bodies on what's good for us
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #4  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizarin View Post
(I think I really should buy that Intuitive Eating book. But I'm not ready to say goodbye to the scale yet. And I'm scared that I must do that. It seems like a little sacrifice for making peace with food and my body in return, ... just not there yet.)
Who said that you have to "say goodbye to the scale"? Why not use some of the tools from IE but continue to monitor yourself on the scale? That's what I've been doing. I also benefited from calorie counting during my weight loss. Now I don't continue to count but I do have that experience and knowledge that I continue to use. Take bits that work for you and leave the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizarin View Post
Exactly that, alaskanlaughter!

It's actually been eye-opening the way you put it - I don't think any of the fasting type situations are for me - only slow and steady works to prevent this kind of hunger. For me that's a lesson I haven't quite internalized (obviously ), but I really need to stop myself sometimes from thinking that "less is better" - it's not. Moderation is better. So, perhaps it's a good thing that we get that kind of rebound effect - we're just getting better learning signals from our bodies on what's good for us
Moderation is the answer! I've found that the more that I cook really good healthy food the more on track I remain.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

In my experience continuing to pursue IE + weighing yourself on a regular basis can really work. It helps to have some routine meals but not so much that you get annoyed and mad about repetitive meals and "rebel." Eating as little as possible is very rarely without rebound.

What's your exercise regimen like? I can't not eat because if I don't eat I can't exercise, but if I eat too much of the wrong foods my exercise also suffers.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #6  
Crimson

losermom (such a sad username?) - Thanks for your feedback

I've been doing sort-of-IE for a while now (2 or 3 months), and it's been working beautifully, and way less stressfully for me than calorie counting, which I did before and in all previous weight-loss ventures. I'm really thankful that I've found the label to put on the kind of eating that I would ideally want to do on here; having the label just helps with finding more information, and helps reflecting on what would have been a makeshift plan at best otherwise. So, I've been following its principles pretty well I would say, with the occasional slipups, which tend to be of the nature I described: over-restricting ("I'm not really _that_ hungry") followed by eating more than usual. For me, the reason I'm still doing that, or at least a major contributor, is because I want to see a certain number on the scale. I'm terrified of going over and "gaining it all back". Somehow, that's in conflict with what I perceived to be one of IEs central tenets which is to "eat normally, and allow your body to choose its healthy weight". I fear that that "healthy weight" might be a little too high for my taste. So, there are two solutions to that: 1. either continue weighing, but don't care about what the number is - that seems far away at the moment (though not as far as it used to be), or 2. stop weighing, trust that my body will do what it needs to do. Ultimately, I would love to be ready to choose approach number 2, which is what I meant when I said I would like to toss the scale Does that make sense?

How do you deal with that, krampus? I understand you've been in maintenance for way longer than I have, so perhaps it's a non-issue for you, but do you also get the urge to restrict more than is good for you, or more than you would if you wouldn't know the number?

I'm exercising daily, at least 30 minutes/day, usually a little more, once or twice a week much more. All of it cardio, mostly bicycling. I have dialed down the intensity from 85%+ heart rate to a more moderate 70% ish, because I think exercise was/is to blame for missed periods. I usually don't have a problem exercising at this lighter level even if restricting. I guess that might be different if I did weights? I don't know. I'm also not very competitive in my exercise. I just want to do it and feel good about having done it, but I don't get a huge kick out of being better than last time, or at least not as big a kick as it would compensate for scale dissatisfaction
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Interesting how we're all wired a little different.

For me - eating every 2-3 hours was a nightmare and resulted in me being hungry all the time.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I agree with doing IE and still using the scale. That is what I'm doing. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the 3rd edition of the IE book and it suggests putting away the scale but it doesn't MAKE you so that is nice. I'm still trying to lose 15 lbs so I'll continue to monitor via the scale, maybe during maintenance I will switch to the measuring tape or how my clothes feel but for now weekly weigh ins is what works. Also, its so nice to see others having success with IE! Im part of the IE thread but it's pretty quiet so I feel alone some days, now I found ya! LOL I would love to have some IE buddies.. I've been doing it about 3 weeks now, the first two weeks I lost 3 lbs, last week I didn't lose or gain, stayed the same but I did lose 1/2 an inch off my waist so that is a win
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I'm with you all the way. Extreme measures don't work for me, period. If I skip two meals, by the time the next meal rolls around I'm ready to throw all caution to the winds. For me, no matter how much I backslide, getting back on plan means 1,500 cals per day until I reach maintenance weight again. And IF has never attracted me because I'm pretty certain it would magnify, rather than control, my preoccupation with food.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

If I didn't weigh myself and get positive feedback (i.e. not gaining weight) I would be much more restrictive.

I can eat a LOT more since I do regular heavy weight training. I maintain at probably 2200 calories a day.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #11  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
If I didn't weigh myself and get positive feedback (i.e. not gaining weight) I would be much more restrictive.

I can eat a LOT more since I do regular heavy weight training. I maintain at probably 2200 calories a day.
Holy crap! I've never had much of a desire to do weights until reading this! I love to eat
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote