PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Default Very heavy and painful period :-(

I started my period on Thursday and it's been getting consistently heavier and even more painful since then. I haven't had a period for a year and a half, and i'm not sure whether it's the weight loss or what but I finally got it and it's been awful.

I've never had such a heavy period - usually lightens by the 3rd day - and it's never been this painful. I literally can't move because it goes everywhere and I have to sit on a towel at all times because it's staining all the soft furnishings in my house.

Is it worth getting it checked out or is it this bad because I've had it after so long? I've been throwing up, nearly passed out and unable to eat anything except for bread (doesn't agree with my paleo lifestyle) for the past four days.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #2  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

Oh I´m really sorry you´re feeling that bad!
I usually have painful periods but the pain goes away after 2-3 days and they never get as bad as you describe, so if this happened to me I would go to the doctor. I think it would be wise to do so, specially since you hadn´t had your period in such a long time, a checkup is always good (in my experience)!
Hope you feel better!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I forgot to mention I have PCOS so not getting a period on a regular basis is not abnormal for me. I just hate the doctors where I live, half of them don't even bother listening to you they just dismiss what you have to say because they think you're talking utter rubbish - the hazards of a free health service.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #4  

How are you going, MFTF??

I was exactly where you are on my first proper cycle in over 3 years. I couldn't move from pain, I was passing out from the pain, and no medication (no matter how strong) gave me any relief. The forte's did help me sleep for a few hours. I was changing a pad every 45 mins, heavy bleeding/clots, and in so much pain.

It lasted 3 days, and when I could move I went to the hospital. They didn't take me seriously, but gave me an anti-inflam and sent me on my way. I was back 4 hours later as I had lost so much blood, I rang up our free health service (In Australia), and she said to either take myself (have someone drive me) or she would call an ambulance, because of the blood loss. They took me a little more seriously this time!

My iron levels were dangerously low, and they were surprised I was still conscious. After a few hours of testing, they couldn't find any reasoning for it (I also have pcos), and sent me home with more meds. One that lightens the bleeding, and another for hard corepain relief.

If you're asking if it's worth it? Yes. Go in and tell them - I was shy the first time, but don't be. Tell them you have PCOS and you're worried that it's a burst cyst, tell them about the excessive blood loss and the pain. I broke down and cried I was so exhausted..
Ask for an ultra sound (I couldn't have one as our hospital doesn't have one!), and a blood test to check your hemoglobin levels. Tell them if they don't, you'll have to risk driving yourself to the next doctor/hospital, and with the blood loss that's a huge risk (light headed, risk of passing out). That is not a risk they should be willing to take.

Good luck. Please let us know how you go.
Squishee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #5  

I know exactly what you're going through because I've been dealing with the same thing for the last few years. I also have pcos, and went from not having a period for a year to having nonstop horrible heavy periods that lasted weeks and sometimes months with only a day or two of no bleeding.

I would say you know your body better than anyone and if you feel like you need to see someone don't wait to do it.

Like you said it could be your hormones trying to regulate themselves after losing weight, causing you to have a heavier period.
It could be a ruptured cyst.
It could be something completely unrelated to PCOS.
It could be nothing.

Make sure you are taking an iron supplement!! I'm not sure if you have it where you are, but the best iron supplement I have found is called Pur Absorb Iron. Because it is liquid your body absorbs it more quickly, making it more effective. I can't stress iron enough. I actually became so anemic once I had to go to the ER for a blood transfusion. Don't let yourself get to the point where you are light-headed and completely exhausted. That's a sign you've lost too much blood and need to be seen right away. (Not trying to freak you out, just don't want someone else to make the same mistake I did of waiting to long to get help.)

To clarify I am not at all qualified to give medical advice, but I started taking a supplement in February called EstroSmart that has completely changed my life. It contains Indole-3-Carbinol which comes from cruciferous vegetables like broccoli. I3C helps your body get rid of excess estrogen, which is what was giving me those terrible periods. A few months in to taking them my periods have begun to regulate themselves and are now almost normal. I did an absolute ton of research on I3C and encourage anyone else out there with an excess estrogen problem to do so. It's amazing stuff!

I hope you feel better soon.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I would go to the doc, emergency room or whatever!

If they poo poo you! Have a fit!

I've had female troubles in the past, solved by an ovariohysterctomy!

My Dh has had multiple amputations and heart problems.

What I have learned is you need to be PROACTIVE in your health care!

Over the years, not so much with myself but with the DH and all his junk, and insurance and workmans comp and so on, sometimes your just gotta put your foot down and INSIST, for them to listen. If they don't go somewhere else.

I don't really care who is paying for it, me, workmans comp, health insurance, or socialized medicine, we deserve decent, and compassionate and caring health care.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #7  

Just wanted to say I know how you feel. I've had heavy periods and I believe I have PCOS too. I have all the symptoms. I have lots of fibroids / clots something like that.

I started working out almost 3 weeks ago now and this last period was the most normal one I've had in a long long time thank goodness.

When I last went to the Dr. she just said here take BCP. That lasted all of 2 months it sucked.

Hang in there, do what you have to do, scream, throw a fit. Make someone listen!
CourtneyTx is offline   Reply With Quote