Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #1  

Default help break the cycle

I'm not sure how to stop this cycle. After college I became a strict diet/exerciser and went from about 140lb to 117 at my lowest (I'm 24 years old, 5'4'' female). Around that time I started dating a guy who typically prefers bigger girls, and found out my parents were getting divorced and my dad was having some serious alcohol problems. Somehow all these things came together and I started eating more, and thinking hey I could stand to gain a few pounds. Now it's three months later and I'm bouncing between 130-135 pounds. I'm ashamed of what I've done to my body and want to lose weight, but I've begun a terrible restrict/binge cycle. This week I ate about 900 calories for five days and exercised 90 minutes a day, but then yesterday ate about 5000 calories and today 2000. I feel out of control and I'm not sure what to do to break the cycle. I'm feeling very alone and hopeless that I'll ever achieve a normal diet/happy body image. I feel like I do so well during the week and then lose it on the weekend. I want to do a 1200 calorie a day diet with one cheat day, but my cheat always seems to lead to a binge. ugh
goliat621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

If you're worried about cheat days leading to binges why have cheat days? I've been 'dieting' for 7 months and have never allowed myself to have a cheat day. Sure there'll be days I eat a bit above what a should, but if I label it a cheat day it'll give me the opportunity to binge and say "it's ok, it's my cheat day". What I do instead is increase my calories everyday so if I want something, I can eat it. Now, I started off this journey a lot heavier than you are, and I still am, but I made sure I wanted to start with a calorie count I could stick with and not be starving every day which would also lead to a binge. So 1650 is where I started off. It's moved around a bit during the last couple months but I'm currently eating around 1500 and I'm actually thinking of moving it up because I've plateaued for the last 6 weeks.

My main piece of advice, eat enough so you don't need to binge and don't restrict foods that'll result in you bingeing on them later. Good luck.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I agree with Changegirl. Severe restricting almost inevitably leads to binging. Aim for about 1,500 or 1,600 calories every day until you get your weight where you want it. Don't let yourself get overly hungry and don't make any distinction between weekdays and weekends. And don't worry about how long it takes you to drop those few pounds you want to lose. As long as you're consistent, they'll come off sooner or later.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I also agree with the two ladies who have just posted. Whenever I restrict, a binge will follow. Maybe not the next day, or the next week, but at some point the feelings of deprivation will be too strong and I will totally fall off the wagon.

Eating in moderation is no easy task, at least not for me, but it does feel better than the binge/restrict option. Maybe I have to stop eating before I would really like to (emotionally speaking), but I also avoid the non-stop thoughts about food that don't go away during restriction and I avoid the guilt of binging.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/???/120

Height: 5'8

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I've been where you are several time! It is a cruel cycle. I gained 42lbs in 3 months due to a binge marathon  I’ve been back on my plan for 4 weeks now and still going strong (YAY). Binge eating usually stems from a more serious issue, mine was stress from work. Firing people left and right never knowing if I’m next! I started seeking comfort in food and spend all my time eating until I decided that it is just a job! It shouldn’t ruin my whole life! Once I decided it wasn’t worth it the stress faded and I stopped binge eating.

I do have binge triggers (and you might too!). I usually have an apple with my dinner. If I decide to have another and another and another (even though I was full before grabbing the second one!) that leads to a binge, if not right away then the day/week after. So now when I think of having another apple, I chug down a glass of water and simply say “nop, you’re not having another”. See wut triggers your binge episodes and avoid it!

I don’t believe in supplements but if you need help with your cravings (even if to start you off) cinnamon tablets are excellent! You can find them in any health food store.

I hope this helps! Best of luck Goliat and all!!
xx
kjasmin1986 is offline   Reply With Quote