Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #1  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Plateau - have you ever hit one?

I have lost 34 lbs so far in the past 3 months and for the past two weeks, my scale has been showing me the same weight.. not a pound gained, not a pound lost!!

I am on plan with the whole counting calories and hitting the gym for a minimum of an hour DAILY!! So I know it's not 'cause of me slacking or anything.
At first I thought it could be anything related to TOM, water weight, that new dressing I tried with my salad but now.. I don't know if I have officially hit a plateau or not... It's too soon isn't it??

Have you guys ever hit a plateau this early in your weight loss journey? What did you do to get out of it and onto the downward slope again??

Any suggestions welcome it's really frustrating to see the same number on the scale every morning!!
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #2  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

During my weight loss I pretty regularly went two or even three weeks without a change in weight. It's pretty normal. Your scale-weight on any given day depends on more than just what you ate the day or the week previously. It depends on a host of factors both within and not within your control. Weather, hormones, hydration - all of these contribute to fluid retention. Fluid retention can cause my weight to fluctuate by as much as four pounds, which can easily mask nearly a month's fat loss!

Try to be patient and take a longer term view. What matters is not whether you weigh less on the scale than you did a week or even two weeks ago. What matters is that you are consistently applying behaviors that, accumulated over months, WILL lead to fat loss. I do not think two weeks without scale-loss is a "plateau" in the sense that you need to change something about your plan to break through it. Two months without scale loss, maybe, but not two weeks. Just hang in there and keep following your plan.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

On my trip down, I hit a plateau twice. Both times I upped my calories and experienced a drop.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #4  

Height: 5"6

Sam as Jen, nitrus. I didn't budge for 4 weeks. Two weeks in, I upped my calories and started a new workout program and I saw a big drop 2 weeks later. Good luck!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm in a similar situation as you, Nitrus 29....the scale has really stalled recently. However, I just keep plugging along. I"m not going to up my calories just yet because it hasn't been that long but I will tell you that yesterday, I gave myself a day off from working out and I showed a 1/2 lb. loss. That's not a whole lot, but it's something and I think it shed light on the fact that I'm losing fat but it might not be reflected on the scale.

I also suggest that you not weigh yourself every day. I used to do that and it because a big giant disappointment, which made it harder for me to stick to my good habits. Now, I just try to weigh once or twice a week.

Best of luck to you and congrats on your losses so far! You're really doing great!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #6  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

I am in the middle of a pretty significant plateau. 6 weeks. But I agree with other posters about raising calorie intake. I have upped my cals and have seen a wiggle in my weight. Only time will tell, but I am down and I haven't thrown my scale out the window, yet.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

The 220s were difficult both times I've gone through them (maybe the third time will be nicer?!?!) My body just seemed to like them, you may be experiencing this, in which case all you can do is keep on keeping on and eventually it'll come off.

Another thought that comes to mind: Have you recalculated the calories you need for your current weight? I don't know if/what app or site you use, but with MFP it recalculates my daily allotment every 10lbs or so. If you haven't calculated since starting you may need to recalculate your daily allotment
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #8  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

I'm in the midst of one right now. I've been stuck at 265 for the past two weeks. I haven't weighed myself yet this morning because I'm scared the number is going to say the same thing.

I keep telling myself that this happens and I need to stay positive and stick with it.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I figured out my calories for the week and then really mixed things up throughout the week. Say I can have 1500 calories a day, or 10,500 per week. Instead of trying to do 1500 each day, two days I'd do 1800, two days I'd do 1200, two at 1500, and the last day 1500 again. I also changed my exercise routine so I started and ended with cardio with strength in between. But instead of doing the second cardio while I'm at the gym, I would wait and take a walk late in the afternoon. Don't know if this works for everyone, but it gets me back to losing.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote