Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Rice as an option

I'm moving over to eating mostly fruits and vegetables, with a little meat occasionally for variety and protein, but not much (beans and nuts will be the protein sources).

For variety I'm considering incorporating rice (brown or white) into my diet. I really like it when it's mixed with, say, a can of peas and carrots with a touch of soy sauce. But isn't rice a lot like nuts - a high-calorie food, so don't eat much of it?

This isn't a long-term diet - it's something I'll stick to for a few months at most, until I get near my goal.

Last edited by tricon7; 06-20-2013 at 09:42 AM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #2  
Pantless

S/C/G: 205/185/170

Height: 5"4'

I heard brown rice was good for you. As long as it's only 1 cup.
I have it with fish~
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I try to keep my serving of rice around 1/2 cup no matter if it's brown, white, purple, black, etc. A good way to stretch it is to chop and saute onions/peppers/mushrooms/cabbage (whatever) and mix it in.

I often eat that as a bed for other foods. Another option is to do the cauliflower "rice" and mix it or eat that instead.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Rice isn't a high calorie food. Cook some up and see for yourself.

The problem is (for me) that white rice doesn't fill me up so I have to eat a lot to satiate and brown rice (to me) tastes bad and has a texture I am not a big fan of.

Therefore, I personally don't eat rice often.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I've been staying away from rice along with other white foods like flour and sugar. I made some curry last night for dinner and I cooked some lentils to use as a bed for the curry. Just cooked them up in plain water. This worked really nicely, although the lentils were not as absorbent as rice would have been for the sauce. I've used cauliflower "rice" too. The lentils contribute some protein which the cauliflower doesn't.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I eat a LOT of rice - brown and wild. Both are complex carbs and really good for you. Brown has about 200 calories a cup and wild has 160.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I love brown rice with some sauteed onions, peas, sprouts, and carrots - sort of like fried rice from the local chinese place. I honestly only need 1/4 cup cooked (1/8 cup dry) and fill my plate with a ton of veggies and a bit extra protein.

Another option like Munchy and Annie mentioned- the cauliflower "rice." Just grate it or chop it up in the food processor (be careful not to overdo it), steam it in microwave or over stove until soft then season as you would. I personally love cilantro lime "rice" (cooked in broth or add some, cilantro, and lime juice to taste.) Great with mexican food (fajitas, tacos, etc) or with some fish/chicken/shrimp.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #8  

I'm just curious, are you not eating meat, or minimizing it for a certain reason?
I was a vegetarian for years, and I still am not a fan of meat. I have never really liked it. While I will eat it now, occasionally, I prefer meatless options.

I feel that rice is high in cals for the fullness factor. Meaning I can eat more of something else for the same calories.

Are you counting calories?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I incorporate brown (red/black) rice and other grains into my diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #10  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

I eat similarly to your plan, although I probably need to cut back more on how much chicken/turkey I eat (it's really the only meat I eat nowadays, and that is normally a few times a week).
[on a side note, will you be eating eggs and cultured dairy? I include whole eggs, egg whites, fat-free greek yogurt, and lowfat kefir - no cheese or other dairy. I find that it helps immensely to keep me out of a bean-protein rut. Oh, and lentils are awesome too.]
I don't eat a whole lot of grains and faux "grains" (certainly not daily, more like once or twice weekly), but when I do, I generally eat quinoa or brown rice. I'd consider both to be moderate-calorie foods - not as low as fruits, but not as high as nuts. A 1-cup serving (~220 kcal for brown rice) is appropriate for how often I eat it, but if you want to include it more regularly, I'd suggest trying 1/2 cup servings first.
White rice I would limit or avoid completely. Not that it's necessarily a bad food, but it's not particularly filling and has less nutrients than brown rice.

Last edited by Chronostasis; 06-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I live in Korea and teach at an elementary school. Therefore every single day while I've been on my diet my lunch has consisted of at least 1 cup of cooked white rice. I try to limit myself to 1 cup as they tend to serve 2 or more to the teachers however the students get much less. Of course other food comes with that lunch; protein, 2 veggies and a soup (Korean lunches are pretty balanced minus the heaping rice) but the rice makes up at least half of the calories.

For dinner I stick with brown rice, it's healthier and keeps me fuller for longer. I usually have rice with my dinner 2-3 times a week. With dinner I keep the rice to a smaller portion size, usually about 60g uncooked which is about 1/2 cup (I think) cooked. Needless to say, I eat a ton of rice and have not had any issues losing weight, well except for the 6 week plateau I'm currently on!

Last edited by Changergirl; 06-21-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

If the only protein you're getting is beans then rice is a good pairing - beans are an incomplete protein and pairing them with rice makes it a good protein.

I do eat rice, not much of it because I avoid too many carbohydrates. But when I'm craving something filling and starchy I choose rice. Wheat makes me crazy (hungry, impulsive, bloated, and I get full of cravings), while rice fills me up without weighing me down.

Although be careful with the "I'll just eat like this until I get to my goal" mentality because that can get you in to trouble. What do you plan to do when you hit goal? Go back to eating the way you did before? Won't that cause you to gain the weight back? Opt for healthy living that you can continue to maintain your goal weight.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #13  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Brown rice is great as a filler. Yes, it is a bit higher in calories. However, the rice expands and makes you feel full, so you eat less.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #14  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I feel that rice is high in cals for the fullness factor. Meaning I can eat more of something else for the same calories.
This is how I feel about rice, too. When I look at 1/2 cup of rice, and compare it to the amount of (say) sauteed broccoli I can get for the same number of calories, I'd rather eat the broccoli. If I ate the rice instead, I'd be looking for more dinner afterward.

But it is a very personal choice. I prefer a lot of bulk in my meals, so I tend to pass up on grainy or starchy side dishes (even the "better" ones like brown rice or sweet potatoes) and load up on vegetables instead. Some people don't feel like they have had a meal if they don't have some kind of grain or starch, and would rather spend the calories on the rice. Some people use both approaches on different days.

You just have to try it out and see what works best for you.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #15  
Warrior Princess

I eat brown rice very often. For me it's never been an issue during weight loss.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote