PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #1  
Leaving PCOS In My Dust!

S/C/G: 272/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default PCOS & Eating - What do you do?

I've been following a pretty standard lactose/gluten free diet while slowly weeding out sugar (just can't give it up in my morning tea! - eventually that'll be gone too though). Just curious about what other people are doing if anything
Rosalitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Ya Rosalitta,

I've been kinda bad lately with my eating, but I try to follow the Mayo Clinic Diet and use the book as a serving size guide.

Basically I write---
V V V V (Vegetables)
F F F (Fruit)
C C C (Carb/starch serving...bread, potato, pasta etc.)
P P P (Protein & Dairy)

in my food diary and try to cross off as I eat.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

@veggiedawg. do you eat meat? I love the idea of crossing your food off. I might have to try that.

I yo-yo between a paleo diet and high-veg vegan diet. What happens is when I go high-veg vegan (like Eat to Live or The Beauty Detox Solution) I start to get blood sugar crashes... so then I add in Paleo meats and I feel better, but then I crave the starch again, so I have a small serving of a gluten free grain or yam, then feel the roller coaster all over again. I'm pretty much frustrated beyond belief at this point.

Aside from diet, I still feel great from the progesterone cream I started.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #4  

I've been using MyFitnessPal on my iphone to track what I'm eating. It is amazing!!

As far as what I'm eating low carb is the way to go it seems.

I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack

Do not eat after 7pm I learned that because the scale doesn't like it lol

I feel like I pretty much snack all day long just on good foods.

Many do the Low GI thing but I've been eating bananas I can't give them up lol.

I lost 4 lbs in this last week, given it is my first week but I did good, other than 1 Arby's beef and cheddar sandwich, and lasagna (only 1 serving size) on Fathers day!

I will take it!!

Eating clean is the best way to go it seems, if it's processed stay away, if it's full of sugar stay away, if it tastes good stay away lol.

I don't know about the whole dairy cutting .. but some do that, I've had greek yogurt and cottage cheese and I'm all good.

I heard don't worry about calcium because you can get that from the leafy greens.
CourtneyTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #5  
Leaving PCOS In My Dust!

I'm kind of jealous of you veggiedawg - I've tried doing the mayo clinic diet but got annoyed at tracking and gave up. I've heard it gives really great results though so it's awesome that you're doing it!

I've tried what you're doing Michelle and the exact same thing happens to me too haha. I feel good and then nope need some meats, eat the meats and nope I want to go back to my veggies. It's like a never ending battle :P

I have myfitnesspal on my phone too Courtney I don't tend to use it that much though as I'm on spark people as well so do my tracking there. The hubby has IBS so he's been over a year doing the no gluten/no lactose thing and after all the reading I've been doing about PCOS I figured I might as well do it too Now if I could just do a better job at incorporating green leafy veggies into what I'm eating!

It's eat small meals throughout the day, my big meal is at lunch time and a few hours a day in the afternoon I'm outside doing yard work so there's my exercise. And of course the big don't eat before bed rule! 3-4 hours before I go to bed I won't eat but if I get hungry I have water I still haven't found lactose free cheese that I like but I've found cream cheese (woohoo carrot cake icing!) and sour cream that's delicious (it's the tofutti brand) and I'm slowly getting used to almond milk
Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #6  
Starting over

[QUOTE=Michelle125;4775333]@veggiedawg. do you eat meat? I love the idea of crossing your food off. I might have to try that.
QUOTE]

Yes, I eat meat...sorta.
I eat fish. Not chicken or beef. I eat eggs and drink milk.
Years ago, I read the McDougall diet and tried vegan but I wasn't eating clean...lots of processed food and it was not good. I was trying to help myself and just made things worse.
I was vegetarian for many years but still wasn't getting the protein knew I needed. So, I started eating fish again.

Courtney-- I need my banana's too! I actually went through a faze were I couldn't eat them alone or I'd be sick. (still don't understand that one)
But, I seem to have a fear of going out and being hungry, so a banana before going out seems to really help.

I try not to eat after 7pm either.

Rosalitta--I do like the Mayo diet. (I actually bought the Diabetes book)
I marked a few of the important pages and the serving size charts at the back and I'm good to go. It was a real eye-openner regarding serving sizes and I never get the hour of exercise each day, sigh.

I get my veggies in by having a big stir fry of frozen vegetables (usually with beans) for one meal and a half plate of salad with my other meal.
Dieting is so silly! Yesterday, I saved 2 carbs for supper so I could have a veggie burger with bread on top and bottom...ha ha! Oh, the spurge!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #7  

Yep there is just something about the bananas I must have, maybe its the potassium, but over the past few years a banana can really be filling and fulfilling for me.

I normally eat half a banana in the morning with cucumbers and cottage cheese who knows why I started it but now every morning that's what I crave.

I am losing weight a little each day, still a long ways to go just hope I can keep it up...

Figured out the work out, diet part, now the hair loss thing is my big hassle, I think the past few days I'm losing less but the hair loss looks worse daily too.

I am researching more and more and going to start saw palmetto and a DHT removal shampoo.. going to try that a few months if it doesn't work then Rogaine might be next
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I restarted my south beach diet, but almost two weeks in I've only managed to lose like 2.5 lbs? I don't understand that at all, it seems like the healthier I eat the more sensitive I become to carbs... I'm about to go on an all liquid diet lol! Well no not really, I couldn't do that....
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #9  
Starting over

Courtney-- During your research have you read about silica?
I had tried a different product from "Naka" and it came with a brochure about it. www.nakaherbs.com (scroll to the bottom of the page)

I don't have balding spots but very thin hair so I've been tempted to try it.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #10  
Leaving PCOS In My Dust!

Oh I understand the whole veggie thing it's so annoying to eat enough -_- I've been enjoying things like chili and ground turkey taco soup (omg yum with a dallop of sour cream on top mmmm) but I struggle with getting greens which is such a huge part of helping pcos/controlling hormones/controlling sugar spikes. That's todays goal: find recipes (and eat them!) that incorporate lots of green veggies especially leafy ones
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #11  
Leaving PCOS In My Dust!

Aww beerub the south beach diet did that to me too the first time I tried it Second time I took off 20lbs in 3 months! I found I had to workout more with it to achieve the results I wanted (that's not necessarily a bad thing haha). Just keep at it and think about what you want to achieve and you'll see it start to melt how it should
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #12  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

When I was losing the weight, I followed a calorie counting plan ranging around 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat.

During my 1.5 years of maintenance, I have realized that low-carb in general makes me feel better. My PCOS symptoms seem better, and my period comes more regularly when I eat this way. I don't count carbs, but I don't eat very many bread products, etc.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #13  
Calorie and Carb Counter

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

I have diabetes in addition to PCOS, so I count both calories and carbs. Based on advice from a diabetes nutritionist, I started out eating no more than 45 g of carbs per meal and 15 g per snack. My blood sugar levels were good (very good according to current ADA standards) but I want them as close to normal as possible. I recently started aiming for no more than 40% of my daily calories from carbs and at least 30% from protein.
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #14  

Veggiedawg ..

I never heard anything about silica.

What I did find odd while reading and researching is it seems like some women have male pattern baldness and some have female pattern baldness from PCOS.

That is bonkers to me, but hey I guess it's all hormonal.

Mine is 100% male pattern, I'm losing hair at my crown and in the front.

I've read that's what 5% Mens Rogaine is best at fixing, at least the crown part.... so that might be what I start using if I don't feel like I can get anything coming back in the next month or so...

I had a TON of hair loss from like Nov to May. I think it was a lot from stress and eating HORRIBLY.

Now that I'm working out daily eating low carb the shedding has been slowing. Is it enough slowing to not lose what I have still there not really sure.

I'm going to start taking Saw Palmetto soon and I bought a DHT inhibitor shampoo as well, if the combination of those 2 don't start showing some good results within a month or two then I think I'm going to try the Rogaine for men.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #15  

My Diet...

So my first week I was pretty strict.

I feel like now I'm in a really good fat burning mode, so I can eat a few more carbs than I was eating and be ok.

I was around 50-60g carbs. That's just is starvation to me lol.

I'm now doing about 75-100g carbs and checked the scale and since Tues I'm down another 2 pounds!

BUT!! the extra carbs I've been eating are RIGHT before I work out, and I upped my work out from 30 minutes to 40 minutes

Hope that helps someone!

I feel like if you eat good carbs even if they are higher than all the proteins and you work your butt off that it's fueling your body.

I still am not eating junk, I just eat the higher carb fruits and veggies ... apples, bananas, sweet potatoes

Plus .. Greek Yogurt, love the Chobani ones.. peach is my new fave, and I added 1 slice of whole wheat bread here and there too

I'm a big gal right now, so it probably allows me more wiggle room in what I'm eating, I worry that I'll plateau but if I do I think that's when I'll drop my carbs back down to the 50-60 range...hopefully that won't happen though if I'm lucky!!

OH.. and I'm not going over 1600 calories a day, seems like most days I'm around 1500 but been completely satisfied

I also started taking a D3 Vitamin yesterday and I had more energy than I've had in 2 weeks so I bet I'm deficient in that

Last edited by CourtneyTx; 06-21-2013 at 07:49 AM.