Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Default Perspective/Body Image

After I began my lifestyle changes in 2010 and lost weight from 191 down to 150 by the end of that year, I felt great. My actual highest weight during my early 40s was 230. But this last (and FINAL, I won't go back) journey started at 191. I never made it to my original goal of 140, but 150 wasn't too bad. After wearing plus sizes for so long, I felt like an absolute waif at 150. I literally felt tiny.

After my initial loss, I evened out and didn't keep losing. I have struggled with a 4 to 8 pound gain since then. This morning my scale said 157.

Here is the issue: Lately I have started seeing myself as "huge" and "uncomfortable" and "thick" again. I know in my heart I look nothing like I did when I was 191. When I went to buy clothing after my initial loss, I was so pleased with how I looked when I put almost any piece of clothing on my body. Now it is almost the opposite. Sometimes it is the style or cut that isn't flattering, but most things I've tried lately just don't seem to look good on me and I get so discouraged.

I realize now that I am experiencing menopause that my body is making changes and shifting around. I've come to realize that I'll never look "cute" again. Some of the choices I make in my clothing are probably also suited to a younger woman and I've tried to start buying things that don't look foolish on a 51-year-old woman. But I still like cute things.

I'm not vain in any sense, and I really don't care what others think as long as I feel good with what I'm wearing. But I do want to feel that I look good.

I really hate that my body image is so bad right now. It does help to look at old pics of myself when I was larger and then see one from recently. I feel healthier and I AM healthier. I just want to feel confident.

Has anyone else struggled with these issues?

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 06-15-2013 at 01:17 AM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Hi Annie, I have not been in your specific situation, (I'm still trying to get to the point where I feel cute) but I do understand having a bad body image.

I just wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with wanting to dress cute at 51. How you feel in something is more important than whether or not it's "age appropriate". Unless we are talking about tiny leather skirts and 5 inch heel boots LOL.

I'm looking at your profile picture, and you are super cute, and going through menopause isn't going to change that. I'm not sure how long you've been maintaining in the 150 range, but maybe it's time to start working at it again. Maybe not feeling like you really reached goal is affecting you somehow?

Have you considered doing some weight training? It can really change your body and help with the way clothes fit.

But in the end don't forget that you're awesome, you've lost 35 pounds!! Be proud of yourself.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Thanks, Charliee! Actually, I have struggled the last couple of years trying to break into the 140s and haven't had any luck. Maintaining (most of) my original loss has been hard enough! I've almost decided to just stick with 150 as my goal, but working at it again hasn't been ruled out.

I do some very light handweight training at home with my exercise program. Never more than 3 pounds per side. Honestly don't know if I can (want?) to make time to visit a gym during the week. But that is something to think about, thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks for the image of me in a tiny leather mini skirt and 5 inch heels. That gave me a laugh!!

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 06-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #4  

I know the feeling. I got close to the 140's once about 3 yr. ago but gradually gained again. Now I'm getting down again but it is so slow.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote