Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/196/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Getting enough veggie carbs

On days where I eat a cup of sauerkraut or Brussels sprouts I can get my vegetable net carbs up to about 9. But if I have 2 cups of butter lettuce and a cup of cauliflower then I'm only getting 4 net carbs of vegetables for the day.

My question is, and I really want to understand this, is it most important to keep to the measurements of the veggies (2 cups + 1 cup) as I have been, or do I need to have more veggies so that most of my 20 allowable net carbs (at least 10?) come from veggies?

I'm on day 12 of Induction and I plan to stay on it for at least a month, so I don't want to go to the first rung of OWL yet. I just want to better understand Induction.

Thanks for your help!
everafter05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

During Atkins Induction 12-15 of your 20 net carbs for the day should be coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. I personally never measured my veggies or my salads from day 1.
I typically eat a big salad for lunch and add cooked, cold veggies to it. For dinner, I'll have a smaller salad and a green veggie.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #3  

Thank you, JerseyGyrl. That's what I needed to know. So I'll simply be counting the veggie carbs and not limit myself to 3 cups.

I really appreciate your help!

Last edited by everafter05; 06-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #4  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Like Jerseygyrl I never measure my veggies either - that's one of the beautiful things about Atkins!! Best wishes!!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by everafter05 View Post
Thank you, JerseyGyrl. That's what I needed to know. So I'll simply be counting the veggie carbs and not limit myself to 3 cups.

I really appreciate your help!
You're very welcome! If you think about it, I don't believe limiting yourself to 3 cups of veggies will get you to the 12-15 carbs for the day you are supposed to have during Induction And...the first rung of the carb ladder when doing OWL is MORE veggies....so....eating lots of veggies is a good thing
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
You're very welcome! If you think about it, I don't believe limiting yourself to 3 cups of veggies will get you to the 12-15 carbs for the day you are supposed to have during Induction
Exactly! That's what I found so confusing! But now that I know to just count my veggie carbs, I feel more confident that I'm getting the nutrition I need while staying on plan.

Thanks again JerseyGyrl, and thanks to you, too, Lulu!