Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #1  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Default Pregnant-Nursing Weekly Chat: 6/3/2013

I thought it would be nice to have an 'open forum' type of chatter for pregnant & nursing mommas! I was a more active member of the Ideal Protein board, but now that I am 27 weeks pregnant I am not exactly a good fit there anymore.

I lost 70+lb last year, after I hit goal in August I maintained for 3 months before we started trying for #2...and we got preggers our first try! I wasn't expecting such 'quick results' as I am 38yo! The entire reason behind the weight loss was to get pregnant - my first pregnancy I was plus sized and I now have a chronic, degenerative back condition. If I wanted minimal risk this go round I HAD to lose weight!

I am keeping weight gain 'relatively' under control. I gained more than I should have my 1st trimester as I literally had to 'eat through the nausea', but things have leveled off. And of course the only thing that helped were comfort carbs. But I have continued to exercise throughout and am still running 4-mi@3x/week & weightlifting Bodypump@3x/week. I have slowed down, lowered mileage, and lowered intensity through the weeks and keep an eye on my BP, also take plenty of water/walk breaks.

I went back to fatsecret.com to track my eating and exercise, as I did get a little out of control with junk food a few weeks ago. I am not trying to lose weight or 'diet' - I just need to be accountable and keep track! I am getting bigger everyday and keep crossing my fingers my back pain doesn't return!!!
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/pregnant/125

Height: 5'0

I wish I had your exercise discipline! I'm only at week 9, when everything makes you want to puke or faint. Carbs are the only things that sound good...well, that and lemonade. I've been a lemonade fiend with all 3 of my pregnancies!! Good luck!
virginiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamom View Post
I wish I had your exercise discipline! I'm only at week 9, when everything makes you want to puke or faint. Carbs are the only things that sound good...well, that and lemonade. I've been a lemonade fiend with all 3 of my pregnancies!! Good luck!
Omg, I feel for you on the first trimester "morning"sickness. I would get hit with the nausea & exhaustion in the afternoon/evening. The only reason I kept up my running then was I met up with a group at 5am, of course I had to cut that out by 18-weeks when everyone got too fast for me!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #4  

Height: 5'0"

I am 36 weeks preggers now. I managed to exercise (just walk) until I hit the third trimester, then I stopped because my sciatica pain was so bad. I am 39 and this is my third baby.

I admit, I am already thinking about losing the baby weight! I've gained about 35 lbs.. more than I'd like. I know they say 9 months on, 9 months off, but I'm hoping to get it off sooner.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #5  

Hello all!! I've been thinking about weightloss too, and even more so about gettin back to running (jogging...walking..lol...I gained a lot again) anyway how soon after delivery do you plan to start working out strenuously?

I think with my other two, and I wasn't rushed to start working out I did at about 6 weeks? I know I bleed and cramped heavily for about that long.

I already have all these plans in place and I'm realizing I may not want to be working out strenuously right a away...I'm guessing I could easily start walking though.

I know with my 2nd son 4 days later I had a HUGE graduation to go to, for several major medical schools in a football stadium! I went with just me, my 3 year old and my 4 day old (hubby was graduating) and I had no help and I did find walking around and walking around all day afterward there was a looooong social function for the class. Ok so that's not running but it wasn't like I was struggling to get off the couch at 4 day post partum.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I haven't done any workouts yet and I'll be six weeks postpartum Monday. I figure I'll wait for the doctor to check me out and give me the all clear at my six week appointment. Also, my preemie twins are still in the NICU (one of them may be coming home tomorrow!) so finding time to exercise has been the lowest thing on my priority list.

I'm struggling with sore nipples though. I've seen the lactation consultants a few times, but I think it really just boils down to the fact that my nipples never did anything before and now they're getting gnawed on and pumped all day and all night. The babies' mouths are too small to breastfeed directly so I have to use a nipple shield, and it's sometimes hard to get a deep enough latch that they don't pinch with that. I've got tender skin all around where the pump flanges fit also. Would appreciate any advice from those who've been there, done that!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #7  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Paperclippy - Congrats on your twins! I've got my fingers crossed for you that they get to come home soon, how exciting! Although I was fortunate enough to start breast feeding from the get go (DS is now 12 months, and still nursing) I also experienced soreness/tenderness/cracked nipples. Just stick with it as best you can, they will toughen up with time, trust me. Although I certainly don't enjoy it, I can withstand DS's occasional bites (teething, yikes!) no problem. If they're giving you a lot of trouble you can buy lanolin cream over the counter, usually found in the baby aisle in department stores. My doctor also gave me rx lanolin cream that had a numbing agent. I would caution you to only use it minimally though, as my lactation consultant warned that it can actually soften your nipples which can make it harder for baby to get a good grip and cause more chaffing. It's good to use after you've done a feeding though, or before bed if you're really sore. HTH!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I'm almost 5 weeks pp and thought the pounds were going to just melt away breastfeeding. I guess I am not one of those lucky ladies who loses all their baby weight by breastfeeding. As soon as I get okay'd by my Dr next week I will start to work out and hopefully that will help me lose.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #9  

Glamourgirl: I usually don't start exercising until at least 2 months pp, if I exercise at all. Personally, I think diet counts more in weight loss, though not necessarily overall health.

Paperclippy: I feel your nipple pain! lol With my first kid, my nipples were so cracked and bleeding that they prescribed me special ointment. They hurt so freakin bad that every time the baby cried because she wanted to nurse, I would cry too in anticipation of the pain. (And I am not a crier.) Truthfully, the only thing that worked for me was to grit my teeth and power through it. But it was probably 4 months before I wasn't in complete agony whenever she nursed, and 6-8 months before I enjoyed nursing.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #10  

My Post-Baby Weight Loss Story(s):

Just thought I'd share this with any new moms. Maybe it'll help you or interest you.

First Kid:
First kid I was 34 years old when she was born. I gained maybe 35-40 lbs with the pregnancy (I was about 5 pounds overweight when I got pregnant). I hadn't exercised and had eaten whatever I wanted, as my mom was dying during my pregnancy and I had no energy to work on myself. Had really really bad water retention. I nursed exclusively for 9 months, then continued nursing (supplemented with solids) until she was 2 years old. I did not focus much on diet, although I did start exercising somewhere around the time she was 6 months old. But it was mostly light exercise: some bodyweight exercises and walking with the baby strapped to my back. Sometimes I would up the exercise or concentrate harder on my diet.

The weight fell of gradually, but not quickly and it seemed to take a lot of effort to move every pound. And even when I made a concentrated effort, I still couldn't shake those last 5 pounds of baby weight. I admit that I may have slacked a little because I knew I would likely get pregnant again sometime in the future.

Second Kid:
My second kid was born when I was 36. Again, I paid very little attention to my diet or exercise during the pregnancy. I gained about 35-40 pounds (in addition to the extra 5-10 pounds I was carrying). This once was born c-section unlike the first, and honestly my recovery was much faster. Nursing was also easier second time around. I nursed exclusively for 6 months, then continued nursing her plus solid foods until she was about 20 months.

I did absolutely nothing when it came to diet and exercise. It was just too complicated to try to coordinate exercise with a toddler and newborn. Eventually I managed to squeeze in some exercise, but not much. Maybe I'd go for a walk once a week or something. I ate whatever I wanted, although I admit that taking care of two little kids kinda means you "grab and go" food rather than having proper, big meals.

And the weight melted off. Literally. Like whoosh. I lost all the baby weight, plus the extra pounds from the previous baby, plus the extra pounds I had been carrying before that, plus more.

I did start following a Paleo diet around the last 3 months before hitting my lowest weight, plus did some IF after the baby was done nursing, but that was mostly just to slim down to as much as possible. That accounts for my "plus more" weight I lost. The rest was... well... good luck, I guess.

Anyway, I share this story because I want you new moms to know that sometimes the weight flies off and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it takes work and sometimes it doesn't. Every person is different, and every pregnancy is different. But don't worry. If you're focused and dedicated, eventually it will come off. Just be patient with yourself and your body. Being a mom is an amazing thing. Try and enjoy it without worrying too much about how it's changed your body.

Forgot to add: I am on my third pregnancy, and am on track to again gain 35-40 pounds. I have not been focused on diet, although up until the third tri I actually did more exercise than I have ever done during a pregnancy. I will be 39 years old when this kid is born in July. As far as the weight loss aspect goes... well... I guess I'll keep checking in here so you can see how it goes the third time around.

Last edited by banananutmuffin; 06-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Hey ladies!! I'm EBFing my almost-four month old DD. After I had my last baby I wasn't able to lose all the baby weight so started my my 4 month old's pregnancy 20 lbs over my normal weight of 135. I'm now around 144, yay!

I'm not one who has the weight melt off from BFing either. My plan is smaller portions, no overeating. I walk 4-6 days a week and am currently doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

Things are going pretty well. I recently realized I have PPD and in retrospect realize I had it after all my babies. I don't really want to be on medication, so I'm taking some herbs and supplements and they are already helping.

Paperclippy - I had a super tough time with sore, cracked and bleeding nipples with my first (and then thrush). I got his latch better and other than that, time is what helped the most. It sucks!
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Hey!

I lost over 80lbs awhile back. Then I got pregnant and am now a few weeks post-partum. It looks like my immediate weight loss has stablized and I've got about 29lbs to lose to get to where I want to be (but I'm working on losing 19lbs while nursing since I kind of expect my body to hold on to about 10lbs or so before weaning).

I've been cleared to exercise so I've been walking/doing light weights. I'll start swimming eventually too. Just kind of taking it on how I feel. Eating is more of the issue for me because I get SO hungry while nursing!!! Plus, I have no time to cook/preparing healthy snacks with two kids at home.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Hey!

I lost over 80lbs awhile back. Then I got pregnant and am now a few weeks post-partum. It looks like my immediate weight loss has stablized and I've got about 29lbs to lose to get to where I want to be (but I'm working on losing 19lbs while nursing since I kind of expect my body to hold on to about 10lbs or so before weaning).

I've been cleared to exercise so I've been walking/doing light weights. I'll start swimming eventually too. Just kind of taking it on how I feel. Eating is more of the issue for me because I get SO hungry while nursing!!! Plus, I have no time to cook/preparing healthy snacks with two kids at home.
Hi! I tried but did not BF my first but I did BF my second. I remember not having time to cook or prepare foods, and I remember eating with one hand because the baby was nursing. Especially the first 6 weeks while I build my milk supply. I will be BFing with 2 other young kids, so I am planning ahead to having no time to cook. I am going to make a lot of my kids foods that I can ahead of time and freeze them. For me, I will be stocking up on frozen foods, like lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner and smart ones breakfasts. Then I plan on stocking up on snacks such as fruit canned in its own juice, cheese sticks, individual almond packs, and I even found out that Wholey Guacomole makes 100 cal packs of avacado! Also greek yogurt and precut carrots and other veggies if I can find them. I know some of those things dont stay good forever, so I'll have to try to get to the store probably right before the baby is born, but some of those things do have a good 2-3 week shelf (refridgerator) life....

Anyway I hear you on the eating, thats my biggest concern. I remember after my first son son, because I ended up not BFing I got on a diet program asap, but with my second I ate with no rules until about 5 month...I stopped BFing around 4 months. My plan is 1800 cals to start. If that is not enough I'll go up a little, but if I don't eat very controled, I can easily over eat. I'm not one of those people that can say small portions, because I'll just over eat. I have to count the exact cals...

Anyway I know frozen foods are NOT ideal. I was eating clean before getting pregnant and that is my plan to go back to that. but I know I will not have time to cook right away so I figure frozen healthy food is better than having hubby pick up fast food or order pizza every other night.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #14  

I need a wife! Where does the time go! Someone cook my meals and clean my house for me! I am 29 weeks along now and getting EXHAUSTED now - breathing is becoming a labor (especially up stairs!).

I have Bodypump today, on Tuesday I made the mistake of checking out my form during squats in the side mirror and nearly fell over when I REALLY saw my profile - the cute little 2nd trimester 'bump' has morphed into a 3rd trimester balloon! On the plus side, I was able to see my arm & shoulder muscles "working" during those segments - it's a carthatic feeling to see & feel your muscles be strong. Even now at 29 weeks and cutting down my weights I am still one of the stronger women in my class, although I admit my muscles have been starting to get a little padding over them...I know EXACTLY what to blame for that though...PIZZA, HAMBURGERS, & CEREAL!

I skipped my jog Mon & Wed, I am getting pooped - I need to really keep it up though, not just for me and my health, but my son LOOOOVES the gym daycare, honestly it is pretty sweet (2 story climbing tubes w/trampolines, tunnels, etc - better than places I PAY to bring him too). The ladies love him there and know him and his condition (non-verbal Autistic, 2y10m old) and it burns off a lot of energy for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
Hello all!! I've been thinking about weightloss too, and even more so about gettin back to running (jogging...walking..lol...I gained a lot again) anyway how soon after delivery do you plan to start working out strenuously?

I think with my other two, and I wasn't rushed to start working out I did at about 6 weeks? I know I bleed and cramped heavily for about that long.

I already have all these plans in place and I'm realizing I may not want to be working out strenuously right a away...I'm guessing I could easily start walking though.
With #1 I started Bodypump (weightlifting) ~8 weeks PP, I don't think I picked up running until a ~4-6 months though. I wasn't a very committed runner that round as I am this one. I am thinking of signing up for a half-marathon 6months PP as a goal. My last race was a half-marathon at 18 weeks pregnant back in March...the difference in my time was hilarious! I ran a PR in 1:55 Dec 2012, then 3 months later ran one in 2:45! It's amazing what a little baby bump can do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarwbz View Post
I'm almost 5 weeks pp and thought the pounds were going to just melt away breastfeeding. I guess I am not one of those lucky ladies who loses all their baby weight by breastfeeding. As soon as I get okay'd by my Dr next week I will start to work out and hopefully that will help me lose.
LOL - I actually gained throughout the 16 months I breastfed my son, BUT - I was NOT focused on my diet at all - I did exercise, but you really can't nurse/exercise your way out of a crappy day of meals. I did A LOT of cooking my own meals of veggies & lean meats when I lost the weight last year - but unfortunately my pregnancy food aversions are 1. Veggies and 2. Lean meats (chicken, pork, etc). Crossing my fingers that I can find the time and energy to do a weekly food cook-a-thon after #2 comes along, or at least be able to stomach even looking at a cooked chicken breast without gagging.

Last edited by LizRR; 06-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

Hey!

Paperclippy- I had the same problem when I first nursed by daughter. The first week after she was born I was in tears because of the pain when she breastfed. You just have to tough it out, it'll get better. I always tell my husband I'm glad I didn't have any formula in the house at that point or I would have given up.

I'm currently 32 weeks along. I dropped a few lbs in my first trimester from a combination of 'morning' sickness and having caught a couple of bugs going around during the winter. I'm only now starting to go up from my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm at somewhere between 166-168. I'm hoping that I don't balloon up these last two months and can keep my weight gain to a minimum.

I wish I had been able to stay as active as some of you ladies! I was working up until my third trimester, which was great because it was a physical job and I walked to and from. But I've got low iron and the bigger I got the less I found I could do.

I miss exercising, can't wait to get back to it. I loved the energy I use to get from a good session, I feel so lethargic all the time now.

I had my first daughter in the afternoon and the next morning my husband and I took her out for breakfast. I had a quick recovering and am hoping for another. I'm actually due on my sister's wedding day haha.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote