View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
amandie
Gettin' it done!

S/C/G: HW- 242 Restart SW:166 7/24/14

Height: a little over 5'2

Dried beans are cheap and filling (black and northern are my faves)- can make it into baked beans, refried beans, dip/hummus, soup (fully pureed or whole or half/half), on top of salads, in sandwiches/wraps/quesadillas, etc. Good fiber and protein too if you can't afford to buy a lot of meat. Cheap cuts of meat can work too if you learn how to cook it properly. Whole chickens on sale can be cheaper than buying just breasts, etc and you can get a lot of meals out of one and do save the bones for broth for future meals, that way you won't have to buy broth.

Rice is also good and cheap, the kind that takes 40-45 minutes to cook on stove top and filling too. Eggs are also good and cheaper if you buy in bulk like 30 eggs for about 4 bucks here but not sure about your area though. I know it is a bit too hot but old fashioned oats are good and can be cheap if you get the generic kind (I use it in pancakes all the time- one egg, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup applesauce or pumpkin puree, bit of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking powder in bowl and mix and cook as you would regular pancakes. It will take some experimenting on learning when to flip it.)

I get whatever fruits/veggies (fresh and frozen) are on sale from Walmart and Aldi's although sometimes I will just go to Walmart and price-match using Aldi's and some other stores' ads if I need to save a trip thus saving me gas and money!

Basically, I've noticed it can be cheaper to go with whole foods and try to make stuff from scratch instead of pre-packaged/processed kind of stuff, it just takes a bit more time because preparation and cooking but it is well worth it in my opinion.

Oh yea, I get my tampons/pads from the local dollar store- I think much cheaper than using toilet paper depending on the brand you use. One box/bag of pads can last me up to 2, maybe 3 months if I'm lucky flow-wise.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.- Winston Churchill

Last edited by amandie : 06-13-2013 at 04:02 AM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote