South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Question Salad Dressing Help!

I need some new ideas for salad dressings. Usually I just use a light Ranch, and it has not slowed my weight loss (10 days into P1 and down over 10 lbs ). But I'm finding I need to get off dairy due to my PCOS, so it has to go. I'm not a big fan of vinagrettes or oil/vinegar type dressings. I eat a big salad for lunch most days, so I really need a good dressing. I looked at the recipes in the Supercharged book but none of them appealed to me. I love avocado, so I thought maybe something with that, but most of the recipes I see also call for yogurt. I have almond milk in the house, but I don't know how good it would sub. Any thoughts
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

Try doing an internet search for vegan dressings. Also, try searching Joel Furhrman recipes for dressings. Then you'll just need to see which seem SBD friendly.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I use spicy salsa.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Have you tried eating your salad without any dressing at all? I've learned to prefer it that way, especially if you add avocado to it. A simple squeeze of fresh lemon is also lovely with a sprinkle of cracked black pepper.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Why do you have to give up dairy because of PCOS? I have PCOS, never heard that before. I eat greek yogurt on a regular basis (just plain though).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I use spicy salsa.

I also use salsa (or taco sauce) as a salad dressing.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

OoooooOOOooh, I like Cottage's idea!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

As far as vinaigrette, you can also try changing the oil and vinegar that you use. I use Pompeian brand olive oil & red wine vinegar, which is nice. Also, you can add herbs, garlic or other flavor to your dressing.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Why do you have to give up dairy because of PCOS? I have PCOS, never heard that before. I eat greek yogurt on a regular basis (just plain though).
There are theories about the hormones present in dairy products compounding the hormonal imbalances with PCOS. I haven't seen much hard science about it, but better safe than sorry. I'm planning on using up the diary in the house (other than what the kids and hubby will eat), and then just not getting more. Things like blue cheese ans Laughing Cow are things no one else eats. Here is a link with some info

http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/diet-...os-diet-dairy/

I love the salsa idea! So simple ans never occurred to me. I've been itching for some homemade salsa anyway...will be whipping some up tonight. I'll also look at vegan dressings...something else that didn't occur to me. Thank y'all!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/226/200

Height: 5' 8"

I just drizzle a little olive oil and squeeze fresh lemon on my salad. Add some salt and pepper and it's perfect.
Ntasha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

So you are saying the WHOLE TIME I'm seeing commercials about how drinking some milk each day helps promote weight loss, yada yada, it's possibly HURTING ME?

THE WHOLE TIME?! THE WHOLE TIME?!

*faints*

Now that just pisses me off...

BUT just FYI I don't really trust .com resources in research. .org/.edu/.gov is more reliable, she lists some resources that I'm going to read into tonight.

ETA: All sources I read talk about milk, what about cheese and yogurt? Do this insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) exist in cheese and yogurt? Or is it disrupted during processing of milk to cheese and yogurt? Got to dig deeper....

Last edited by beerab; 06-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Salsa

Avocado blended with vegan tofutti sour "cream"

Mango chutney is awesome on salad

Tahini based dressings with citrus/garlic:
1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped (optional)
(blend in food processor)

Have you invested in some high quality oil/vinegar? Can make a big difference. I like freshly ground pepper and garlic in mine too.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #13  
Started IP 5/20/13

S/C/G: 193/175.2/140

Height: 5' 7"

Check out Walden Farms dressings. They are dairy free.
JRP2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

Okay so I did some more research, and read the link you provided, and then read links the author of the blog pointed out, and noticed they kept talking about milk.

So I read more, and saw while most of research points to milk as being an issue, all the others except the .com link provided by the author seem to say it's just milk and not cheese or yogurt... In fact, one document says the IGF seems to be processed out during the making of other dairy products. Only one .com link included all dairy, but IMO .com links are not credible research sources. And I'll be honest, I work in research and I don't trust .com links when their references aren't clearly sited. If it's not .org/.edu/.gov, then I usually am more wary of the source.

That being said, at this link here:

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/9/852.full

It says:
Dairy foods other than milk (ice cream, yogurt, and cheese) did not have an association with IGF-I. It is possible that either IGF-I in cows’ milk or a substance in milk that stimulates endogenous production of IGF-I is inactivated during the processing of milk to ice cream, yogurt, or cheese. There was an inverse association between ice cream intake and levels of IGFBP-3. This may have to do with the saturated fat content of ice cream. However, cheese also has a high saturated fat content, and no such association was seen with cheese.

And this link that the blog posted (in her comments):
http://www.purefood.org/rbgh/womenigf1.cfm

A second study found that IGF-1 levels rose in tandem with women's intake of protein, especially from milk. There was no association between IGF-1 levels and vegetable protein intake. Yogurt, cheese, and ice cream also had no association with the hormone.

Two credible sources IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! It might work for you, my one friend who has PCOS has significantly reduced her dairy intake and feels good about it

BTW even the blog author posted this in the comments (in case you don't read them):

I’ve done some more research and it seems that any milk produced by mammals has IGF-1 in it so that rules out goat’s milk as an alternative. When it comes to IGF-1 in cheese and yoghurt, it looks like it is destroyed or made ineffective with quick fermentation processes so technically, they should be okay.

The only other thing to consider is that the protein in dairy causes a huge insulin response (more than you would expect considering it’s sugar content). So, your insulin levels may still react strongly to cheese and yoghurt. I have personally decided to cut out all dairy products and I feel much better for it. You could always try is for a month and slowly reintroduce it to see how it impacts your PCOS symptoms.

Last edited by beerab; 06-12-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #15  

Thanks for all that info, Beerab! Giving up milk is no issue for me, but the cheese/yogurt etc are harder. I'm like you with not trusting any source that isn't from a peer-reviewed source, but I saw the no dairy thing with regards to PCOS in a couple different places and basically was too lazy/time crunched to do the actual research Thanks for doing it for me, lol.

I think it won't hurt to cut back some regardless, but will not stress about dropping all dairy. Thanks again!