Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #1  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Lightbulb Running Featherweights :)

I thought I'd start a post for runners to discuss any running issues... or anything you want to discuss.
intro: What is your routine/ weekly milage? How long have you been running?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

I'll take the bite. I'v been running for a year and a half now. Mileage varies from 25 miles per week to 35 miles per week for now. However, I'm going to start training for a Marathon in June. Up until now, I've only done 1/2 marathons.
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/160/150

Height: 6ft

I run 6miles on mon,wed and fri then will do a 12-14 mile run on Sunday.
Brummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #4  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Hey, I'd like to join in! I'm trying to become a better distance runner- right now I run 20-25 miles each week, my long run for next week will be 8 miles. This summer I'm signed up for two 1/2 marathons but I'd love to train for a full marathon by fall of 2013!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/136.5/130

Height: 5"6"

Hello, ladies. I'm joining this thread for inspiration. I had my second daughter 6 months ago, after severe complications and 4 months of bedrest. I ate well and worked out the first few months, but bed rest did me in. I gained 50 lbs.
I have lost all but 11 lbs.
My mom is turning 50 this year, and I am turning 30. To celebrate our birthdays, as well as honor my grandmother who died of breast cancer before I was born, my mom and I have decided to run a 5k. This will be our first race, and it will be sometime this fall.
I ran when I was younger, but my workouts as an adult have mostly been elliptical, circuits, hula hoop, and good ole calisthenics. I did some running before my wedding a couple of years ago, but only here and there to supplement my other workouts.
I have not run a decent time or distance in maybe 10 years.

SO. Last night, I went out. I couldn't even run to the stop sign, so I walked/ ran. I walked to one stop sign, then ran to the other, and so on. Sort of a Couch to 5k concept. So, here's the jist of it: Each of my butt cheeks felt like a suitcase full of jello. That clunky, wobbly feeling when you're running through the airport, dragging luggage behind you, trying to catch a plane, and you wish you could just leave the stupid luggage and get to the gate. THAT's exactly how I felt about my extra weight. I could feel it moving separate from me. I realized that, even though I am in a healthy BMI and getting closer to pre-pregnancy weight, I lost a TON of muscle while on bedrest and the weight I'm carrying is much more fat than muscle.
On the upside, even that small, feeble run gave me the old high I remember. And that will get me back out there. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by mrslynah; 05-18-2012 at 11:01 AM.
mrslynah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I would love to start running. I have tried a few times and am always so discouraged, I can barely breathe by the time I'm at the end of my street. Anyone out there have any advice for someone just starting out? Run/walk combinations? Would love to hear it. Also, shoe suggestions, not sure I'm wearing the ideal shoes.

Thanks!
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #7  

I felt too intimidated to post here until I saw the posts by the other newbie runners.

I'm 56, and did my first 5K last year. My modest goal was to finish in under 45 minutes, and I was either 41 or 42 (can't recall exactly).

I have a neighborhood two mile street route that I jog or trot several times a week. I can do it in beween 25 and 27 minutes, which is not fast. But I feel good after finishing, and then I swim laps in the apartment pool for 30 minutes.

I'd like to do a 5K in under 35 minutes.

When I start to feel winded I walk for 50 paces or about 45 seconds, and then trot again. Sometimes counting paces while trotting helps me keep going ("I can go another 50 before I walk").

Annie

Last edited by Tabbycat; 05-26-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #8  

I've been jogging my two mile street route for about six months, and I can do it in 22 minutes. I have signed up for a 5K on Oct 13. I'm hoping to finish in under 37 minutes.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 136/132/120

Height: 5' 4"

I would not consider myself a long distance runner by any means. I ran track in high school, but it was all sprinting. I've been trying to run around 10-15 miles each week and it's been going good so far for the past 3 weeks!
maymarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #10  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

I average about 20-30 kilometers a week, but I have a problem with my right feet since my last race it freaks me out because I don't want to stop and loose all the cardio endurance I gained..

So fun to read about all the feathers runners, though!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #11  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

i run about 35-40 miles/week.

sunday: recovery run day
monday: easy run / long stretch day
tuesday-thursday: running workouts / core
friday: easy run / tapering
saturday: running 5k race

i've always had a passion for running since i was 14, but i just started consecutively running since july 2012.

i joined the cross country team and the first 5k race (sometime in late august) i ran a little over 30 minutes.
now, this past saturday's 5k race i ran a 26:00 flat. so that's a 4 minute drop off my running time in one month! (:
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #12  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash15+ View Post
I would love to start running. I have tried a few times and am always so discouraged, I can barely breathe by the time I'm at the end of my street. Anyone out there have any advice for someone just starting out? Run/walk combinations? Would love to hear it. Also, shoe suggestions, not sure I'm wearing the ideal shoes.

Thanks!
try this link! it's based on an eight week program for someone who has never ran. of course, depending on your physical abilities you could always change up the routine to make it more easy or more challenging.

they also go in-depth about the running shoes you should buy, if you're interested. however, i usually just go with nike, puma, or new balance.

just know that there are basically two types of running shoes out there:
1) your lightweight running shoe- these shoes are more for people who run on a track or on the ground (cross country). they have spikes that you can add for traction and they'll give you that lightweight ability to go faster.
and
2) your heavyweight running shoe- these shoes are going to be more for your pavement running, treadmill running, or other rough surfaces. they have that extra padding in the soles for your joints and they have more rubber on the bottom of the shoe to withstand wear and tear from rough terrain.

of course, your shoe type isn't set in stone. both are interchangeable (except for wearing spikes on concrete!) and it really just depends on the runner. for example, i wear heavyweight shoes when i run my 5k cross country races and i've been just fine. other teammates of mine stick to the lightweight shoes with spikes.

i hope that helped! (:

Last edited by Ciao; 10-02-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm lazy and run like 10 miles a week on a good week. Yesterday I ran 5 miles on pavement in 45 minutes. I'm running a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving (Nov 22) which is 4.78 miles. I'd like to do that in 42 minutes or less.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I used to run about 20-25 miles a week, and then I had an injury (broken bones etc.) and couldn't run for about 2 years. I'm trying to start up again but it's really hard. My left hip hurts pretty much all the time now, and while I'm cleared by my doctors to start running, I have to be careful about distance and speed. I am also having problems with my feet hurting.

I have New Balance Nikes and they feel great initially, but gradually my feet hurt more and more.

I have a 5k this weekend and I have been running 1.5-3.5 miles 2-3 times a week to prepare for it. I'm not very fast, but I am working on it.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #15  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

i've just signed up for a 5km at the end of July! Only just starting to run again after realistically about a year off. Slowly limped around 6km this week, and have done another 4-5km on a couple of other occasions whilst easing myself back in, so racing 5km will be a challenge (especially with 4 weeks travelling overseas between now and then). Quite excited to have a goal though, and not done a proper event for a couple of years i reckon! In fact i don't think i've ever raced 5km before (normally used to do 10, 12, 16, HM etc). Ok time to plan a training schedule!......
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote