Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/275/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Does everyone get surgery??

Does everyone have to get skin surgery?? Is that something im going to have to worry about?
pixie3208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

I think it's really gonna depend on your body. At 37, I'm sure that I'm going to have to have skin surgery once I'm at goal. You look a bit younger, so you might have a little more elasticity in your skin.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Not everyone does. Some people do it to feel better about themselves, some do it out of medical necessity (chafing/rubbing raw skin, etc) and some do it for both. Also, a factor that may play in their decision is insurance and how much/what they will cover.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it until you have to and that should be at least a year or two after you reach maintenance (but that could change in your experience depending on your body and where the weight/fat decides to go.) Based on most of the maintainers' experiences that I've read on here, the skin improves with time but I'm not sure if that is due to them working out consistently (weight-training, to be specific.)

Let me refer you to an old thread that may alleviate your fears (look through it to see some pics.) Although it's for maintainers, I still posted mine anyway and plan to again once I reach goal. Every body is different- depends on how long you've been overweight, how fast you gained it, how fast you lose it, if you work out, etc. Too many variables to really give you a straight answer.

HTH!

Last edited by amandie; 06-11-2013 at 02:34 AM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #4  

Thanks for the answers guys. I had surgery last summer to remove a 60lb ovarian cyst. It looked like a enormous belly! But it was a cyst. Didnt catch it till it was literally cutting off my lungs and slowly cracking my ribs. FUN. -.- anywho they removed it last summer and my stomach is a little hangy now but its not skin alllllll fat! I was never used to (sorry if this is gross) sweating under my belly fat. Thats new but if my stomach bounced back to nice from that (had the cyst for about 2 years before I even realized. Just thought it was the worlds biggest beer gut!) then I suppose I wont have to much of a problem if I take care of stuff now! I dont want to lose weight and then have tons of hanging skin because I know we will never be able to afford surgery to remove it. My fiances health problems and my own have us tapped out (my problems gone, his is life long)
Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Nope!! I thought I'd need it for a while... but maintaining for a couple years has done wonders. I have ZERO desire for any kind of surgery, nor do I really need it. There is hope! I know not everyone is so lucky... but if you take care of your body, and be patient, things will improve!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie3208 View Post
Thanks for the answers guys. I had surgery last summer to remove a 60lb ovarian cyst. It looked like a enormous belly! But it was a cyst. Didnt catch it till it was literally cutting off my lungs and slowly cracking my ribs. FUN. -.- anywho they removed it last summer and my stomach is a little hangy now but its not skin alllllll fat! I was never used to (sorry if this is gross) sweating under my belly fat. Thats new but if my stomach bounced back to nice from that (had the cyst for about 2 years before I even realized. Just thought it was the worlds biggest beer gut!) then I suppose I wont have to much of a problem if I take care of stuff now! I dont want to lose weight and then have tons of hanging skin because I know we will never be able to afford surgery to remove it. My fiances health problems and my own have us tapped out (my problems gone, his is life long)
LOL I know exactly what you are talking about with the sweaty belly skin- that is why I'm having mine removed. Do you carry most of your weight in your stomach? I did and that's why mine is bad. I could put up with the rest of the issues if my stomach wasn't so terrible. I've seen other people lost 100 lbs and not have droopy belly skin, so that could be you!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I think I am going to get away without needing it. My skin seems super elastic.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #8  

underwater my body is pretty balanced in fat now but with the cyst it was ALL in my stomach. If I knew how to put up photos I would show you how it looked
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #9  
Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 280/162/160

Height: 5'8

I carried most of my weight in my hips and stomach. I do have some loose skin but it has been nothing that affects the way I move or look that discomforts me, so I won't be going under the knife. It's all down to personal health or appearance preference.
586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 248/145/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm 26. 100 pounds down and I don't plan on getting any surgery. I lost the weight over three years, so I think the slow pace let my body adapt better (and also I have youth on my side)
NightValeRes is offline   Reply With Quote