General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Default Becoming a Vegetarian?

I am thinking that it may be time to take that extra step and become a vegetarian. I've got a lot of reasons, the most important being the horrible things they put in meat nowadays. Not to mention the way animals are treated, etc.

My diet already consists primarily of veggies and sources of protein other than meat. I consume very little dairy (and while I'm not planning on going 100% vegan, I would like to keep dairy products to a minimum.)

I guess my question is; when you became a vegetarian did you tell people? I have a bit of a fear that people will ridicule me.

Most of my family would, I know. But the ones that would don't really need to know. I do worry about people at work though, because if they invite me to lunch, or ask me if I'd like to try their lunch, if it has meat in it I'm going to start turning it down. This place is a rumor mill, as most work places are, I'm sure everyone will know quickly. Which isn't a big deal, but I don't necessarily want to hear EVERYONE'S opinion. Especially as we are about to start trying for a baby. I already had a friend tell me "Sure, be a vegetarian until you get pregnant, but then you need to start eating meat because your baby needs protein." There are just so many other healthier ways to get protein.
Any thoughts or past experiences when making this change?

Last edited by 100Mother; 06-10-2013 at 03:55 PM.
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Do what you feels right for you. The way others feel is not important, you may get some flack, but that depends on your friends and family, I wouldn't however announce it on facebook. I've heard of people mocking those who are vegetarian. I never encountered it when I was one (for about 4 years) about 17 years ago. The only thing I would caution against is being in your face with people who aren't, if you choose to go vegetarian. I had a friend when I was in college who brought out a graphic PETA brochure while we were eating.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #3  

Canadian Yeh no, that is definitely not my style. My sister has been an on/off vegetarian her whole life, and when she was younger was very 'in your face' about it. Kind of taught me how I don't want to be. Luckily she is a lot more kind and supportive now.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Not to be insensitive but you kinda are making too big a deal of it. So you're a vegetarian, big deal! While it isn't the majority it is common enough that you may get some light-hearted teasing (and expect teasing!) Seattle has a lot of restaurants that your meat eating friends and you can both get what you want.

As for the pregnancy thing, the only thing you need to be careful with is Vitamin A which a lot of people get from meat but you can just get from sweet potatoes and carrots.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #5  

PatLib Sorry, didn't meant to sound like I was making a big deal about it. Just wanted to hear what other people's experiences were like when making that kind of transition.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There is a vegetarian section here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/

I've been vegan for 6 or 7 years and no I don't tell people unless they ask or there is a reason to tell them. I told my husband but only after I had read a lot about nutrition and was able to talk to him about it and let him know that I would be ok nutrition-wise.

Even if you aren't vegan, reading a book on vegan nutrition still may help you. Vegan for Life is a solid nutrition book but Ginny Messina is coming out with a new one called "Vegan for Her" that you might find useful as well. It looks like it is being released next month.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I would just do it and not announce it. My sister just become one and we sort of found out by her asking the waiter for vegetarian options.

Sorry if I was harsh, I was actually trying to be funny and sort of tease you!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #8  

Lol no problem PatLib you are probably right. I guess overhauling the way I eat feels like such a big deal, but like so many things, when I just change it won't be.

Nelie Thanks! I'll check out to book(s) and the threads in that section. i don't know how I missed that.

Planning on eating up the remaining meat in my kitchen, doing a juice cleanse next Monday/Tuesday, and then starting up on Wednesday.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I've been vegetarian on and off a few times. I just don't care that much for meat so it makes sense for me. I will say that it IS important that you watch your protein intake, especially if you are training and/or trying to get pregnant. You can get enough protein as a vegetarian, but you probably won't unless you make an effort to do so. Those of us who tend away from eating meat aren't like the typical Americans who get tons of protein. Even eating 3-4 servings of meat per week and plenty of dairy, I have to drink protein shakes to fuel my workouts.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #10  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I've actually returned to a plant based diet again... I was a vegetarian for many years... Started experimenting with it when I was a teenager... And was vegan for several years as well where I didn't wear leather, wool, or silk, etc... and I've run and done triathlons including marathons and Ironman while a strict vegetarian... And I'm planning on doing it again... You might want to check out Brendan Brazier who was a professional Ironman triathlete who is vegan and has written a few books about endurance training and a vegan diet... And I just finished reading "Eat & Run" by Scott Jurek who is one of the top ultra marathoners and also happens to be vegan... which was really inspiring... since I want to run another ultra... I did 50K once... which is just a little bit over 31 miles... So I would like to finally try a 50 miler... and then who knows...

And I wouldn't worry too much about what other people might think or say about it... You say you have your reasons, so if they're good enough for you... That's all that matters...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 06-11-2013 at 01:26 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote