View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #54
Ruth Ann
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/132/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I started gaining weight after I got out of the service, 25 years ago (ok, that kind of ages me!). I just simply ignored it for the most part and the pounds kept creeping on. I just didn’t see myself as fat in the mirror, which sounds crazy but that’s just not what I saw. I ate the same way for years and kept telling myself because I was eating whole grains and fruit and trying to avoid processed foods I was eating healthy. Never mind the sauces, carbs, nightly ice cream, etc.! Self-delusion is a powerful thing.

My father (shortly before he died) asked me “when are you going to do something about your weight? That really hit home and I started really looking at myself and looking at the very few pictures of me that were around and was totally astonished with what I saw. I looked awful!

I had just had 2 back surgeries and was ready to do something and talked to a client and my boss who both lost more than 100 pounds on IP. I did a bunch of research and decided I could do this. I was all psyched up and ready to go when I had to have a spinal fusion and the surgeon didn’t want me starting before surgery and insisted I wait four months after surgery to start. As soon as he okay’d it I started the next day.

This has been the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. The last six weeks I have learned so much about my relationship with food, lost the acid reflux and feel so much better! The support here in this forum and the generosity of so many people sharing so much information has made this a much easier journey for me. And of course, my sweet husband is my biggest cheerleader!

Sorry for the long post, I didn’t realize until I wrote it all out just how many factors all came together to bring me here!

Started maintenance 05/03/2014

Nothing is impossible. In fact, the word itself says 'I'm Possible'! - Aubrey Hepburn

Last edited by Ruth Ann : 06-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote