Old 10-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/158/120

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Default At what moment were you IP-ready?

I'm just curious at one point you decided to try IP. I'm sure all of us gave it some thought, but what point did you have where you said, "I need to lose this weight!" Was it a trip to the doctor, a snide comment, a favorite article of clothing not fitting.

I'm just curious what lead everyone to start their journey. Let's hear the prequel!
NoirStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 251.5/196.5/137.5

For me, it was like when I decided to stop biting my nails... I just decided that it was enough. Cold turkey!

Now, if I could do the same with money and my budget... next challenge maybe...
vvei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

For me it was a perfect storm:

-I was increasingly frustrated with the way I felt, and how my clothes (didn't) fit
-My schedule was such that I knew I couldn't do long WW meetings, and mentally I felt like I was already pulled in too many directions to do major meal planning.
-I knew about 10 people at the hospital where I work who had gone through IP and a few had been in maintenance for more than a year
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #4  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

I was diagnosed with diabetes and sleep apnea within a couple of weeks of each other. Sleep doc said losing weight would probably take care of both issues, and maybe a couple other issues I was having as well. He recommended IP. Was like a switch inside me was flipped on & I was READY!
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #5  

I had thought about IP off and on, but mine happened in one night. I had weighed myself after working out 4-6 days/wk and eating healthier for 5 months... And I was down ONE pound. I was so discouraged.

Then I went out to a bar with a group of friends. Id gone there for some time, so most of the people knew me. One of the guys that I knew asked, loudly and on the other end of the bar, "Tiffany, why have you gained so much weight?" then all of the heads of the bar turned my way. When I didn't answer, he asked again. I was so embarrassed.

I was so, so upset. It was only amplified after the 1-pound loss for months and months of work.

I'd known about IP, and decided it was too expensive. But after that night, I called a coach the next day
Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #6  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

I have always struggled with my weight but it got completely out of control over the past few years due to stress, and my husband gained a significant amount of weight as a result of Cushing's disease. We were both fat, miserable, and exhausted. My son is getting older and I don't want him to grow up with a fat mom. Like Scorbett said, kind of a perfect storm- I just reached the end of my patience.

My husband and I went to a family party in July, and one of the people at the party was his second cousin who has always been very overweight. He looked fantastic, he had lost at least 50 lbs, maybe more (I didn't ask for a number). I asked him what he was doing and he told me "Ideal Protein, it's hard but it is awesome, look it up"-so I did. When I saw all of the progress pics- both here and on other sites- I decided that this is what we needed to do. We couldn't afford for both of us to go to the clinic, so with the resources available here (thanks everyone!), we started out on our own with alternatives.

Mentally I was definitely ready, but I think the rigid structure of this plan finally allowed me to break free from the cycle of binging I was in. I know it is premature to say so, but for the first time ever, I feel like I can really do this, and never go back to my old ways again. It is so different this time. It's a great feeling.

GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalFor40 View Post
I have always struggled with my weight but it got completely out of control over the past few years due to stress, and my husband gained a significant amount of weight as a result of Cushing's disease. We were both fat, miserable, and exhausted. My son is getting older and I don't want him to grow up with a fat mom. Like Scorbett said, kind of a perfect storm- I just reached the end of my patience.

My husband and I went to a family party in July, and one of the people at the party was his second cousin who has always been very overweight. He looked fantastic, he had lost at least 50 lbs, maybe more (I didn't ask for a number). I asked him what he was doing and he told me "Ideal Protein, it's hard but it is awesome, look it up"-so I did. When I saw all of the progress pics- both here and on other sites- I decided that this is what we needed to do. We couldn't afford for both of us to go to the clinic, so with the resources available here (thanks everyone!), we started out on our own with alternatives.

Mentally I was definitely ready, but I think the rigid structure of this plan finally allowed me to break free from the cycle of binging I was in. I know it is premature to say so, but for the first time ever, I feel like I can really do this, and never go back to my old ways again. It is so different this time. It's a great feeling.

42lbs lost doesn't seem premature to say so! You look great!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #8  
IP rebooting

S/C/G: 276/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I had a friend who was on IP along with a group of her coworkers (who were having great success). My friend has since given up, but thats off point. After hearing about it I looked it up and thought it was doable except for the cost. I had gained weight after getting married, coupled with 2 pregnancies in 3 years I added even more. I was so unhappy and it had started ruining my marriage.
Not long after at the local farmers market the chiropractor that does the program was there and I signed up to go to an info session, but then had to cancel because of work calling me in. At that point I had let it go to the back burner until I was in a meeting and was snacking on a few cherries that someone had brought it and another person made a comment about me bellying up to a plate of scones he pushed in front of me. That was it for me. I was signed up and started the program less than 2 weeks later and have not looked back. So like others it was just the perfect storm or the right time.

I was ready and wanted the structure and this program just fit.
blessedamberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #9  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirStories View Post
42lbs lost doesn't seem premature to say so! You look great!

Thank you for the compliment- I guess I feel a little like a lifelong alcoholic with 60 days sobriety who declares himself "cured." I think I need to get myself to goal and prove that I can keep myself there before I can make such bold statements. But this is the most control I have had over the longest period of time, and it is incredibly empowering.
GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 169/140/130

Height: 5'3"

Two years ago I had my hardest teaching year ever. Every night I was physically and emotionally drained so I sat and ate. I gained 20 lbs. The next summer I lost most of it. School started again with another stressful situation and I gained it all back and a little more. Last summer came and went and I hadn't lost anything and I didn't really care. When I was getting ready for going back to school I realized I needed a new wardrobe a size or two larger. Decided that if I didn't care about my weight or health, I would force myself to care. I signed up and here I am. I'm still struggling with caring about it. Still not sure how to change my brain.
LoriKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

I have always been bigger, even when I was a child, being bullied alot about it did not help, I think the weight just kept creeping up in my teen years till my body found a size it "liked" and stayed there. I had been in the 270lb range since I was 20 and was humiliated on many occasions where random strangers would make rude comments about my weight. It did not matter what I changed, more exercise, eating better, it made me feel better but no difference in weight. As with most people life got in the way; nursing school, marriage, moving twice in 4 years, buying our first house. Everything seemed more important and the last thing I had time for was ME. Then one day I realized if I do not make time for me who will? I had seen my sister lose 80lbs on IP and others doing at my work and said "Maybe I can do it to". I have never tried a diet before, had no idea what I would be in for so I researched like crazy, and did my own low carb diet for three 12hr night shifts, figuring if I could survive these then the diet would work for me. I am happy to say it is.
MonicaKolesnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #12  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I lost a brother to prostate cancer in late February. I'd become so fat that I had nothing reasonable to wear to his wake/funeral. Due to being so heavy I'd outgrown anything in my 'smaller' wardrobe that would have been appropriate and for some time now had avoided clothes shopping. Too depressing. So I only had a very limited number of clothes that fit and they were all very casual. So it was unavoidable that I had to go shopping for something to wear. I didn't realize what a chore it was going to be - was totally depressed to find that I'd outgrown regular women's sizes, and had to pretty much settle for whatever would fit and serve the purpose. This whole situation somehow motivated me to get serious about losing the weight. And in my mind I dedicated my weight loss goal to my brother who I know would applaud the fact that I'm getting slim and healthier again. I decided to look for a local nutritionist to support me in a long-term weight loss effort, and while googling stumbled across Ideal Protein, and our local clinic. I was intrigued, called, and made an appointment for the next day, at which I signed up.

P.S. During the reception after the funeral, once of my nieces laughingly told me that someone had asked her if her father (another brother) and I were twins. While I'm proud of my whole family, that really threw me - he's the eldest and I'm the youngest - there's a 16 year age difference! That comment also added 'fuel to the weight-loss goal fire'.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

My oncologist told me I survived cancer, but if I didn't lose weight a heart attack or stroke might kill me instead. I finally decided to take her serious because I knew she was telling me the truth.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #14  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

I had lost a decent amount of weight about 5 years ago and had kept most of it off. I wasn't thin, but I was comfortable with where I was.

Over the past 18 months I've been struggling with depression. I've had depression before, but this the worst it's been. I believe most of the depression was a manifestation of knowing that my beloved dog "Nicky" would either die soon or I'd have to put him down. We put him down exactly 1 month ago today He was about 2 weeks shy from being 15yrs old. He was an awesome dog and since my husband and I don't have children - we were very attached to him.

My Dr and I were looking for a medication to help with my depression. It took us about 9 months and 5 tries later - drug #6 finally is working good for me. Unfortunately, drug #5 that was tried caused me to gain about 20-25 lbs in less than 2 weeks. I was on my TOM at the time and I new I was eating more than normal because of the cravings. But I had NO idea that I had gained that much weight until I stepped on the scale (which of course I wasn't doing on a regular basis anyway, because I was at a point where I didn't want to know what the number was). Needless to say, I stopped that drug and was hoping the weight would fall right off, just as easily as it had arrived. Of course, it didn't though.

So, now I'm finally, finally feeling better mentally but now I have all this excess weight that brings its own amount of depression with it.

I didn't know anyone on IP and hadn't even heard of it. I happen to go to a cosmetic Doctor for an evaluation on a spot on my face and she carries IP in her office. I really was motivated to get healthy and lose some weight (and I really wanted to lose weight reasonably fast since I had inadvertently put on the 25 lbs in a blink of an eye).

It seemed I was in the right place at the right time or maybe I'll go as far as to call it fate!
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #15  
Started IP 6/14

S/C/G: 171.1/165.8/135

Height: 5'4"

I saw a picture of myself...ouch

I went for my annual exam and was told I had gained 25 lbs since my previous exam (avoided the scale like the plague at home)

The day after the doctor visit, one of my close girlfriends called and told me about IP (she found out from a co-worker who seemed average to me but had lost 25lbs quickly)

That day I called and made an appointment for the next day and here I am - almost done.

I like to call it fate too
jules26965 is offline   Reply With Quote