Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone successfully satisfied with ONE serving of pasta? :)

I love pasta, could eat it everyday...and sometimes go through phases where I do I used to be a large plate, large mound of pasta, and ladles upon ladles of sauce kind of gal. Now, I try to eat 2oz of dried pasta (1 serving) and 1/2 cup sauce (1 serving) and a serving of soy meatballs. I'm getting more and more used to it...but I always finish the meal still hungry. It takes me about an hour to feel like, eh, maybe I'm ok not eating more.

He anyone successfully transitioned to feeling satiated immediately after eating 1 serving of pasta??

Just curious
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Nope. I don't bother with grains much anymore because I'm never satisfied with them. I go out for dinner once every week or two, and I choose myself the biggest yummiest pasta dish instead.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #3  

I'd rather have none than the ridiculously small serving as recommended on the package. (You mean half a box isn't a serving? I was baffled...)

And I never do wheat pasta, it's too rubbery for me. It's like eating elastic bands.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

The first time I weighed the 75 grams portion on the digital scale (that's dry measure), I laughed and just gave it to my 2.5 year old instead.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
The first time I weighed the 75 grams portion on the digital scale (that's dry measure), I laughed and just gave it to my 2.5 year old instead.
LOL and your child probably thought "Mommy, where's the rest?"
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: tracker

Height: 5'4"

Nope. That's why I have wraps and sandwiches or some other protein filled meal instead, they're close to what I am used to. The ONLY way to get full eating pasta is by eating a big bowl of pasta that's why I make it a weekly/bi-monthly thing.
Health Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I'll have a salad as a side with the recommended serving. That helps fill things up. I'll also switched to gluten free brown rice pasta. Tinkyada is the brand I prefer. It's pricier, but we don't have pasta all that often.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #8  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Ha, what timing, I just had some pasta for lunch!

I eat about 1.5 servings at a time and am satisfied with that. I use the high protein kind Barilla makes. It fills me up, but I also throw in additional protein and/or fat.

I'm Italian, so I grew up eating spaghetti and meatballs every Sunday. Our pasta servings were never big, so I guess I grew accustomed to that.

Last edited by crispin; 06-05-2013 at 01:35 PM.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not really a pasta person but one thing you can try to do is stretch the pasta with veggies. I think cabbage is a good way to do this as pasta sauce on cabbage is good but some other people use spaghetti squash.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #10  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Nope, probably why I avoid it now. I'll make some spaghetti on super super lazy don't feel like cooking days once and a while! The occasional pasta salad in the summer too
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

I don't eat a lot of pasta but when I do I make sure the dish is half veggies. I'm very volume oriented so this helps me visually and all the veggies really fill me up
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I never ate pasta before losing the weight, believe it or not.

Now I eat veggie or whole grain pasta. I cook 1 serving and then pour over it ground chicken, a TON of fresh broccoli, and mushrooms cooked in chicken broth, NOT tomato sauce. YUMMY!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #13  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I love pasta too... I actually lived and worked in Italy for about year, so it was pretty common to have a pasta course with a meal and very often it was homemade and fresh... But it was also always just a rather small portion and I do remember thinking that I could easily eat twice what was on the plate... But it is just not what people did... because there still was a meat or fish course and vegetables as well... So it really changed my thinking not only about portion size... but also on pasta as a main dish...

Now I did cut out pasta completely of course when I went low carb, but that turned out to not be the best thing for me... or my running... and it turns out that I do fine on more carbs... and I've been eating pasta again and enjoying it as part of a meal that also includes salad, lean protein, and vegetables...

So these days I also incorporate intermittent fasting into my plan as well, which I have found to be the key to being satisfied and full after my meals... and for me that works even if I'm having pasta... which I'm greatful for, since it has made a noticeable difference in how I have been feeling endurance wise with my running...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #14  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm with the posters who enjoy a salad but instead of eating the salad along with my meal, I'll start out with a salad or large tomato salad and not dish up my pasta serving until I've finished that and my drink.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

Actually, yes. I'm a huge pasta lover but it definitely was an eye-opener to see how many servings I had been eating as "one". I guess I knew it was much more than I needed but denial is wonderful.

Anyhow - I still eat it probably 5-7 times a week, normally with supper and it fills me. But I think that's how I prepare it, I don't just cook and serve with a sauce but incorporate that 2oz into a hearty thick vegetable soup, full of other filling things (lots of mushrooms, spinach, kale etc) and some form of protein (poached egg, tofu, tempeh, paneer). I also use whole wheat (which I used to hate but in soup its fine), asian type (rice, soba, udon), or make fresh handmade. Together, it makes for a very fresh, quick, and filling meal. I have some variation of 1 serving pasta soup nearly everyday :O
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote