Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/219/140

Height: 5'5

Default In need of athletic clothing !!

So, I really want to start running once i move into the city(i'm out in the country right now and no sitters here to watch my little one so i can get out for a run) and I'm kind of new to the whole athletic clothing, especially sports bra's.

Affordable clothing though, I'm on a bit of a budget. But as for sports bra's, i need something that are going to keep the ladies(since i'm really large chested) in check so that their not bouncing around everywhere.lol

Also footwear, i have a pair of nice sneakers right now, but i wear them everyday for work and even though their comfy, i don't think they would be suited for any kind of running.

I plan on running my very first 5 K next summer(i'm way too busy this summer with work and apartment hunting and such), so I don't need good sneakers right away.

Also, speaking of starting to run, for those who live where it snow's a lot(like i do), how do you get in run's in the winter time without freezing your butt off outside ???
MizMelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #2  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Lane Bryant has good sports bras, & right now they're on sale. Old Navy has pretty decent ones too that are cheaper.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Champions makes some good sports bras. They make some that are made of a pretty thick material, so there's not too much bouncing going on I second Old Navy, I actually got my favorite Champions sports bra there really cheap.

I live in the northeast so it can be hard to run in the winter. Luckily, my college has a free fitness center for students, so I am able to run inside. But if I do run outside I wear leggings under my shorts - there are even leggings that have a fleece lining for when it's really cold out. Wearing a thin fleece jacket over my t-shirt helps, and I wear a hat and gloves. For some reason, wearing gloves really helps the whole body stay warmer. If you can, running in the middle of the day is a little better because the sun is out.

As for running shoes, I found this post on pinterest.
http://pinterest.com/pin/335447872215436426/
The site gives a few options for running shoes depending on how high your arches are. I think the shoes are a little expensive, but to me a good running show is worth the money.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I am flat as a board so I'll leave it to ladies with bigger tatas to comment on the sports bras. BUT I will say that Walmart carries the Danskin brand of running skirts, shorts, and t shirts that are dry wicking and they are DIRT cheap and work - in my opinion - as well as the really expensive stuff!

In the case of running sneaks - YOU CANNOT SKIMP. Period. That is where to spend you money. Otherwise you risk injury. Go to a RUNNING store - like Fleet Feet - and get fitted.

I am in Northern NY and I wear Vibrams, so once it gets really cold out, I'm in on my treadmill. I hate it, but until I move south, that's the dealio.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/219/140

Height: 5'5

Thank you ladies !
Since i'm all new to this whole running thing, What is dry wicking ?
How short are these kinds of shorts ? I avoid wearing shorts because i have really big calves(to the point where if i try to wear knee high boots.. they just don't fit over them) and i don't much like my legs right now.

As for sneakers, I definitely want a great pair and i don't want to skimp on those. I live in a fairly small city in NB canada, so there aren't very many shoe stores, but i'm thinking i could check out the athletic stores we do have and see what they have in stock.

I've owned sport bra's before, and they didn't help at all(mind you, that was 13+ years ago and my mother bought them, and i'm 100% sure she had no idea what to buy) . I thought i'd have to resort to duck tape LOL. So, how do you choose the right one ? I need something that's really going to anchor these babies down, and reduce the bounce as much as i can(without resorting to duck tape lol).
MizMelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #6  

Old Navy is having a sale now on their activewear, I thought of you when I got the email.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/catego...&clink=6588400
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I recommend you spend a bit more on the shoes and sports bra to make sure you get quality and then look for the deals on your other clothing. (I got my pants, halters and tops from Old Navy) If you end up really getting into running, later you will probably want to buy clothes that are not made from cotton that wont get soaked when you sweat.

I highly recommend New Balance sneakers but what ever brand you choose make sure you run around in them a bit in the store to make sure they feel right. Is there a Running Room by any chance where you live?

I too have a very large chest and the only sports bra I've really liked is the Enell. It's not cheap unfortunately, but it really holds the girls down. Best fitness purchase I made.

Good luck!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I discovered that the Genie bras from Walmart make excellent sports bras, especially if you buy them one size smaller than the guidelines listed on the back of the box. I bought a 3X when I needed a 4X because my "true" size wasn't available in the store.

Try them on first, though as some styles (such as the ones with lace trim), are cut too low on the sides (so much of my sideboob falls out it looks like I have an extra boob under each armpit).

I'd also recommend BCOutlet.com for sportswear and athletic shoes. Onestopplus.com is the company's online "mall" and bcoutlet is the clearance outlet store. Also check the clearance on onestopplus.

It pays to sign up for their email sale flyers, because they include coupon codes that are occasionally tremendous. Say the coupon code is for 40% off your highest priced item. It may make sense to place a second order for your next item (because you can use the same code on multiple orders). If the savings do not exceed the shipping/handling costs, then you would want to use one order.You can also google to find coupon codes.

I've gotten yoga pants and sweats, as well as cotton tees for as little as $2.99 (that's before applying the coupon).

For shoes, I prefer New Balance, and only buy online if it's a style number I've worn before. I also check out the men's section (just subtract two sizes). Often I can find styles in the men's section that I consider QUITE feminine. If you have a wide foot (or in my case, VERY) there's generally a wider selection of shoes that will fit and look nice in the men's section.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMelis View Post
Thank you ladies !
Since i'm all new to this whole running thing, What is dry wicking ?
How short are these kinds of shorts ? I avoid wearing shorts because i have really big calves(to the point where if i try to wear knee high boots.. they just don't fit over them) and i don't much like my legs right now.
Dry wicking is a material that pulls sweat away from the body and into the clothing. That means the clothing can get soaked, but helps keep you cooler in the summer and warmer when it's cool out because you are less moist.

Both running skirts and running shorts tend to be pretty short. But you can buy capris as well. But IMO you shouldn't worry about how big your calves are - wear what you are comfortable in and DO IT!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I just got my first pair of capri leggings for running and I LOVE them. I don't have any riding up issues like I always do in shorts, and there's even a small key pocket in them. I got them at Target.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I have big girls. There is no "sports bra" that works for me. I find a bra that fits, is supportive and comfy. Does not need to be labeled a "sports bra". I found a great underwire, front hook, racer back bra at Kohls. Love it! Have it in all the colors!

As far as dressing to run in the cold. I ran back in January, when it was -10 one morning. Light weight layers, several. I put on a pair of long underwear and light flannel lined wind pants. Tank top, long sleeved, high necked spandex running top, and a hoodie.

Added a comfy stocking cap, wool socks, regular running shoes, good to go! The wool socks were a god send. They were pricey! $15, but well worth it.

Workout/exercise/running clothes do not need to be expensive, they need to be functional.

Yes I did spend $25 each for the comfy bra's and $15 on ONE pair of socks. My biggest thing is GOOD SHOES! I have crappy feet and good shoes are number ONE!

The tops and shorts I wear to the gym, Wal-mart. Cheap, comfy, functional.

I think in the end you need to pick the most important parts, spend on that, save on the other. Whatever that may be to you.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I don't do Wal-Mart. But I did just post about my search for running clothes on this forum here: Plus size exercise clothing.

As far as bras, I'm a 38HH. I've had an Enell (which was great but expensive and I felt wore out quickly) and now I run in an Elomi (which is not a "sports bra" but a full coverage bra) that I love. But honestly, you're mileage may vary and you're going to have to see what works for you.

I feel the same about shoes. My best advice is listen to your body. For YEARS I was stuck in a heavy shoe because I was a heavy girl and the running store just looked at me and gave me that shoe. It turns out, I run much better in a more minimalist shoe. Who knew?
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

http://www.satinsilkboutique.com/ind...-flex-back-bra

This is the bra I wore running from 325 pounds down to 190 pounds. At my biggest I was a 44DDD, at 190 I was 38DDD.

I don't get them from that site, if you know someone who sells Avon, they usually have them on sale. I buy 1 size smaller band than what I need.
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It's worth it to spend a bit more on bras and shoes.

I don't really have much of a chest left to speak of... but I have more blessed friends that swear by Moving Comfort!

http://www.movingcomfort.com/Sports-...efault,pg.html
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I second Cherrypie on the running shoes. I would not skimp on running shoes. Having the right running shoes is so important!

I run in capris because anything shorter always seems to ride up. I buy most of my work out stuff from Kohls.

This is the bra I've been running in for a few years (I've gone though a few of them) and I really like it.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-567...s-bra-1612.jsp

These are the capris I run in
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/3...7s%26c%3Dblack though I didnt buy them from here - I just searched them out since they were not available at Kohls anymore. But I really like this style. I have 4 pairs (though 2 don't fit at the moment... too small)

And this is the type of tank tops I like - I just bought this particular one and really like it
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-128...mance-tank.jsp

I live in Michigan and have gone running in the winter - it's not horrible though I did not go as often as I should have this past winter. I just wear layers along with a hat and gloves. It's actually pretty nice.

I also will buy things at TJ Maxx since they will have name brands for cheaper.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote